JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/23/09 1:01 a.m.

Like the title says. If you do/did, what'd it cost you and what were you insuring? And just so I can be the first of many to say it: don't track anything you're not comfortable balling up and walking away from Whichever annual insurance policies that are still around that offer coverage for track days would be good to know too.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/23/09 1:54 a.m.

Mazda Miata: $4k, 1-time fee.

Seriously though, before buying the Miata, I picked AAA for my insurance carrier on my M-Coupe strongly because of their specific language on what they cover. If I recall the exception is something to the effect of, "Timed competition speed events..." So, HPDE would be covered (although Auto-X would not). Probably only once before getting non-renewed, but whatever.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/23/09 2:13 a.m.
Salanis wrote: Mazda Miata: $4k, 1-time fee.

Aren't one-time coverage more expensive than annual coverage?

socalwrench
socalwrench New Reader
11/23/09 9:52 a.m.

I think he's referring to the purchase price of the car- , not an insurance cost. To my knowledge- racing insurance doesn't exist. To be honest, track insurance = good sponsor. Best of luck.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/23/09 1:19 p.m.

I know that it varies from person to person, but I had a similar thought years ago when I bought my Jeep. I can get pretty attached to what I drive, and I'm not the type who tires constantly of what they have. I thought to myself "I'd rather use the Jeep off-road and risk it, having a load of fun in the process, rather than guarantee it'll live forever sitting in garage doing nothing with it." I certainly don't want it to happen - no one does - but if I sit back one day thinking "after seven years, I finally balled it up, but E36 M3, those were a hell of a seven years," it won't be as bad as sitting there with the car in the garage, too afraid to use it how I would like it.

I have the same thought when I consider the E30. Spec E30s might be cheap racing, but that's almost an oxymoron. I could ball that up and there's no insurance to cover that. But when I weigh the alternative - selling it and swearing off racing - it seems very acceptable. That said, track insurance for a street/track car doesn't seem like a terrible idea if it's reasonable.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/23/09 1:50 p.m.

The chief instructor for Del Val BMWCCA is an insurance guy and carries coverage plans for DE only (no racing or time attack...). It was something to the tune of $1200 a year for a $40k car in the example he used (his own 993). That seems pretty reasonable considering the risk they are asked to assume and the fact that the car has no other use so its not carrying any other policy.

Personally, I self-insure by bolting good parts on a disposable shell (E30) because when bad things happen, most of them will transfer to the new shell... and really I expect I can obtain, cage and re-build for under $2k... that is money that would make for a crappy weekend but not so much that I won't drive it as hard and I can for fear of losing it.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/23/09 2:18 p.m.

1200 a year for a 40k isn't bad. Maybe I'm a simpleton but I can only assume that means around $600 for a 20k vehicle? Is it for a limited number of track days, or as many as you do in a year? What's the guy's website? Heck, I paid way more than that for street insurance my first few years of driving, as my Wrangler was classed a "high performance vehicle."

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
11/23/09 2:50 p.m.

Lockton Affinity is providing coverage for many club DE events including BMWCCA.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/24/09 5:37 p.m.

Rates aren't as bad as I thought they might be

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/24/09 7:01 p.m.

one of my hommies started to buy it for our last track day at VIR.... ~ '04 or '05 Evo and it was going to cost him $120/day,when I find out the carrier I'll post

splitime
splitime Reader
11/24/09 7:14 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Lockton Affinity is providing coverage for many club DE events including BMWCCA.

Yup. Event has to be one they sort of "endorse". Basically the event has to meet a few rules and then register with them I believe.

http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
11/24/09 7:32 p.m.

As said Locton Affinity has a program. I believe there are a few others out there. Basically you pay for an agreed value. It has to be a DE event so you cant cover your race car.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/24/09 7:52 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: It has to be a DE event so you cant cover your race car.

Right, I never would imagine that anyone would cover my race car. That's all on me. I'm wondering because of another car, one that sees street/track duty.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/09 5:55 a.m.

I think this is a good idea for anyone who's tracking a car they can't afford to lose (i.e. a Daily Driver). I don't see any Northeast tracks on their list of events, but it sounds like HPDE organizers can get their events added, provided they meet some ground rules:

HPDE Ins. wrote: The event I’d like to purchase coverage for isn’t listed. How do I purchase coverage for this event? This insurance product is intended for structured High-Performance Driver’s Education events. If the event you are attending provides instructors, classroom sessions for participants, and approved passing zones, please ask the event organizer to contact us. If they meet our required guidelines, we will make coverage available for the event.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w83BBIeNDzKgNHptFrtAkEojG9mawEaZ0zBusYAGE164fEdpTpHlrbXRzEUrRx8L