1 2 3
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/08 10:29 p.m.

I'm walking through the pits and see a guy furiously re-wiring an older Toyota with what looked like a Honda V4 motorcycle motor in it. It had a mercruiser boat throttle doing something as well. Anyone have the low down on that car? It looked like a very ambitious build that, unfortunately, didn't turn a wheel in anger all weekend.

It was definitely intriguing...

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
10/5/08 10:35 p.m.

I think they just ran out of time on the build. Josh and his girlfriend Rebecca pulled some very long hours all weekend in the hope to get the car on course. They made an very valiant attempt but just barely missed the deadline of the drags. A few small issues summarily set them back from firing the car in the end. Fortunately, they were able to make it through the concourse.

I have to hand it to those guys as never once did they complain. I saw nothing but smiles and fun spirits from the pair which was very cool considering the circumstances. I couldn't have done it.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/5/08 10:57 p.m.

If ya'll two are on the forums, thanks for all those zipties! Valiant effort all around.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 6:32 a.m.

Challenge entry fee: $150

Welder in the back of the very cool Jeep: $1500

More tools than Wheels777 and the Hongs put together: $3000

A really nice girlfriend who puts up with all this crap while smiling all the way, AND getting greasy: PRICELESS!

This guy may or may not ever building a winning Challenge car, but I think he's off to a VERY good start in life.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 6:37 a.m.

Oh...He's on the forum- bluejay.

But I'll bet he'll be sleeping off those all-nighters for a couple of days!

Story behind the story: He wants to build a bike powered Locost. He thought this would be a first step in that direction.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
10/6/08 7:38 a.m.

Those two were about as cool as they come. They busted their asses on that car, and even though it never ran (to my knowledge), they were all smiles the entire time. I would have been cussing and throwing wrenches by mid-day friday.

PS: Thanks for the scrap steel plate! That saved my ass.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
10/6/08 7:42 a.m.

Yup, just awesome. I would've loved to have seen that thing run, just once. Man, they tried.

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/6/08 8:00 a.m.

Impressive effort and very nice people.

Maybe we should have a challenge where you have to build the car at the event. :)

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/6/08 8:15 a.m.

holy carp, you guys are making me blush!

we really did have an amazing time at the event. everyone there was just awesome and we can't wait to be back for next year. you're right, I pretty much passed out immediately after the banquet and slept most of the day sunday. the good news is that Rebecca is very seriously considering building her own challenge car now for a girl that knew about as much as the average female about cars before this weekend, that's a big step! I have to thank the camaraderie of everyone there for influencing her that way. She was alllll questions on Sunday.

On the mercruiser boat throttle: it's a push-pull cable arrangement that we were going to use for shifting. unfortunately, it never quite worked out. i need to redo the linkage where it attaches to the shifting shaft on the bike motor. unfortunately, there may not be enough leverage built into the boat throttle to effectively shift the transmission. i'll keep ya'll updated.

build thread with pics and explanations will be coming very soon, just waiting to get the pics from Rebecca's laptop.

Thanks again everyone for such a great time. I had high hopes for my first challenge and even though my car never ran, I wasn't disappointed.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
10/6/08 8:35 a.m.

bluej, you're my hero.

looks like I should have towed the challenge car down and worked on it in the parking lot.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/6/08 11:40 a.m.

glad to hear you guys are planning a return, I was suprised you didn't at least get an honorable mention for spectacular failure or engineering, even thought it didn't make any timed runs it was the kinda of hair brained engineeringin swarf would have aproved of

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 12:13 p.m.
bluej wrote: the good news is that Rebecca is very seriously considering building her own challenge car now for a girl that knew about as much as the average female about cars before this weekend, that's a big step! I have to thank the camaraderie of everyone there for influencing her that way. She was alllll questions on Sunday.

Soon as She's ready to do the YuGoGirl Racing thing, let me know. It's lighter than your Toyota- could easily run on bike power.

Probably more nimble too (witness Jonny Pruit's efforts).

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 12:15 p.m.
bluej wrote: On the mercruiser boat throttle: it's a push-pull cable arrangement that we were going to use for shifting. unfortunately, it never quite worked out. i need to redo the linkage where it attaches to the shifting shaft on the bike motor. unfortunately, there may not be enough leverage built into the boat throttle to effectively shift the transmission.

I'm working on a difficult shifter cable issue with some of the same problems you've got using industrial cables- Should have it worked out in the next couple of weeks- I'll keep you posted.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/6/08 12:35 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
bluej wrote: the good news is that Rebecca is very seriously considering building her own challenge car now for a girl that knew about as much as the average female about cars before this weekend, that's a big step! I have to thank the camaraderie of everyone there for influencing her that way. She was alllll questions on Sunday.
Soon as She's ready to do the YuGoGirl Racing thing, let me know. It's lighter than your Toyota- could easily run on bike power. Probably more nimble too (witness Jonny Pruit's efforts).

The YuGoGirl idea had us smiling all the way home She's very close to paying off her school loans and wants to do that first before jumping into a car, so she's thinking $2010. That will give her some time to autocross my miata (or the toyzilla if she wants! ) and get some more understanding of what it's all about. She's really taken a liking to older Z cars so I have feeling something like that would be in her future.

i'm so berkeleying lucky

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 1:23 p.m.

Treat her right...don't be dumb!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/6/08 1:38 p.m.

So you never got it running? Bummer. Keep me posted on stim, I could use it back when you get your beastie running.

Bryce

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/08 1:44 p.m.

For what it's worth, we had a tough time deciding who should get this year's spirit of the event award. There were so many great stories in the paddock.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/6/08 1:59 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: For what it's worth, we had a tough time deciding who should get this year's spirit of the event award. There were so many great stories in the paddock.

to even be considered, means a hell of a lot to me. also for what it's worth, i think you guys definitely made the right choice.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/08 7:30 p.m.

No smoke, we really had a great crew this year, and it really made the staff happy to see everyone playing together nicely. Whenever we saw Jonny Pruitt, for example, he was working on a car--yet never his. That sums up the event right there. Someone needs help? Someone else dives in to lend a hand. While the cars are cool, it's the people that make the event so special.

exST165
exST165 New Reader
10/6/08 8:09 p.m.

Josh, it was a pleasure meeting you and Rebecca, we want to see Toyzilla running next year!

admc58
admc58 New Reader
10/6/08 8:32 p.m.

Josh & Rebecca,

Marry here NOW, before she gets away...There are only about 10 girls like that in the entire country...world.

Funny story...We were driving to the event on Saturday morning and I look up to see Rebecca walking away from the Jeep with a very DETERMINED look, I though what did Josh do to piss her off enough to leave him on the side of the road!!! It turns out that the hood had blown off the car and she was walking back to pick it up because Josh was sitting in the car with No Pants..(They said syrup was spilled on them)...hhuummm.

What a cool couple! Look forward to seeing you again next year.

Alan

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/6/08 8:45 p.m.

LOL- I saw the moment before:

We pass them on the way to the track. She's driving, Toyzilla in tow, he's in the passenger seat, with his head thrown back and mouth wide open fast asleep. That was the moment he spilled the pancake syrup in his lap.

Sorry Josh, some things are just too good!

bluej
bluej HalfDork
10/7/08 7:32 a.m.
SVreX wrote: LOL- I saw the moment before: We pass them on the way to the track. She's driving, Toyzilla in tow, he's in the passenger seat, with his head thrown back and mouth wide open fast asleep. That was the moment he spilled the pancake syrup in his lap. Sorry Josh, some things are just too good!

hahahahahahaa! yeah.... many lessons learned at the challenge this year. no syrupy breakfasts when sleep deprived was one of them

exST165
exST165 New Reader
10/16/08 11:19 p.m.

Josh, do you have my extension cord? I think I forgot to pick it up on Saturday. If you have it can you bring it to next year's Challenge?

Thanks, Thomas

Ian F
Ian F Reader
10/17/08 8:30 a.m.
admc58 wrote: Josh & Rebecca, Marry here NOW, before she gets away...There are only about 10 girls like that in the entire country...world.

Definitely. I love my g/f... and she loves cars as well (she has 4)... but the chances of getting her involved with a Challenge build would be slim to none... and thinks the Lotus 7 is stupid...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGePuMJk854vN5kuVwb9Be9glFyaui2f9fjbJtC1xLnqmaXyOCB45EWotMLH0O2k