californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/17/18 1:20 p.m.

I am trying to help a diabled guy down the street move a dead Mercedes CLK little sports car out of his garage , 

the battery died , we charged it but the electronic key says it now needs a "code"

So its in park , steering wheel locked and needs to be moved out of the garage and off the property , 

its a nice car  but has not run in a year or 2 and aq running one is only $2300  on the local Craigslist

It would be nice to START it if there was a trick to get past the code , 

or even just move it

Any ideas ?  its near LAX airport in Los Angeles if anyone needs to own it !

thanks for your help

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/18 1:31 p.m.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/radio-code/

tldr is gotta get the dealer to give you the code.

californiamilleghia
6/17/18 1:49 p.m.

thanks for the link , but its not a radio code problem , 

its a key code that it wants , 

its not a metal key but a keyfob that activates everything if its working correctly , 

this one is not activating like it should

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/17/18 2:07 p.m.

It could also be in the ECU.  I hate this generation MB for this issue. It could be a 300 fix or thousands. Only way to know is to take it to a dealer.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/18 4:12 p.m.

I found this

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t22675_ds590182

said to remove the radio to get the serial number then there is some web site somewhere that you enter the radio serial number in to and it gives you the code you need. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/18 4:13 p.m.

Does the key possibly have a dying battery?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/18 4:16 p.m.

This may also be helpfull

http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20/~/how-can-i-obtain-the-radio-code-for-my-vehicle%3F

Looks like  you call Mercedes with your vin. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/18 4:22 p.m.

I cant help, but reading comprehension is waaay over rated. 

californiamilleghia
6/17/18 4:31 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Does the key possibly have a dying battery

Possible but on one site it says the keyfob battery is for the door lock / unlock  

and not the RDIF DAS 8 key issue ........

Problem is the owner cannot tell me any history and I never saw it running ,  so trying to help him is "interesting" 

Anyone know if the keyfob battery can stop the RDIF from turning the dash lights on etc ?

sure makes a nice anti theft set-up when the owner cannot even start it up !

THANKS for all your ideas.....

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
6/17/18 4:32 p.m.

Borrow, make, or buy wheel dollies and roll it out of the garage so a tow truck can get it?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/18 4:37 p.m.
underpowered
underpowered GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/17/18 4:58 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Anyone know if the keyfob battery can stop the RDIF from turning the dash lights on etc ?

Key fob battery is only for lock/unlocking.  Key fob is powered by ignition switch via transducer when it is inserted. 

"CODE" on the radio is asking for the radio code, not anything else.  It will start without the radio code.

Could be a fuse, ignition switch, key, or switch and key

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/17/18 5:05 p.m.

Auto? Most automatic cars I've ever owned have a manual park lock override somewhere on it that will allow you to roll and turn the car.

Looky there

californiamilleghia
6/17/18 5:33 p.m.

Hi

I just got back from the MB, 

they put a new 12V battery in it and now with the stubby key in it you see the mileage , trip odometer , temp and time , but no idiot lights etc

the keyfob locks /unlocks the doors and the security light led lights up on the dash,

Thats all that happens, door windows do not go up and down etc

Car was parked 4 years ago , they tried to start it 3 1/2 years ago but the 12v battery was dead and they just left it in the garage , 

So in the morning I will go over there and   call a friend of a friend that worked at Mercedes years ago and see what he says , 

I have wheel dollies and a jack if needed but would  love to see it running if possible , 

So keep those ideas coming , I will be going over there Monday

Big THANKS

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
6/17/18 6:21 p.m.

If the key is one of the IR ones, I’d clean the end of the key and the inside of the port with some rubbing alcohol.  Also, after a dead battery, it can take a while (like leave the key on for a couple hours) for it to sync back up with the car and allow it to start.

That’s all the Mercedes knowledge I’ve got.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gAFlI9JA23PdWVDEE6zym1uDynz68FfI33KTrheCTnyPwzhdvps2eZ1mossDyHKX