1 2 3
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/16/13 4:27 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote:
Next question, is it really that much better than any other brake fluid? Or am I missing something Capt Obvious can show me?
It's good, but it's not the best. The reason that i went with it is the easy flushing due to the color. Bleed until the color swaps. Done. No "did I get it all out?" questions.

This. I prefer Motul as well, but the ATE stuff is entirely good.

I run the ATE blue and equivalent on anything i care about more than as an appliance and just flush every season. Easy.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/13 4:42 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: will Royal Purple motor oils be the next thing to be declared illegal because they are the wrong color?

They are already sold with no API rating and as "racing" only oils, so probably not. Same story with Sean Penn Green for the 911 guys.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
8/16/13 4:53 p.m.

Looks like maybe us Friggin Canadians can still buy it...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/16/13 4:53 p.m.

There's a blue motor oil out there as well... can't remember what it's called at the moment.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/13 5:09 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
novaderrik wrote: will Royal Purple motor oils be the next thing to be declared illegal because they are the wrong color?
They are already sold with no API rating and as "racing" only oils, so probably not. Same story with Sean Penn Green for the 911 guys.

I thought Brad Penn was API rated. Sure enough, no API rating and big warning labels "Not for sale in X signatory countries"

We sell a lot of it.

Javelin
8/16/13 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Current API = no/low zinc, no good for flat tappet motors. That's why all the old engine guys are running "racing" oils (Brad Penn, Royal Purple, Valvoline VR1, Richard Childress, etc)

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/16/13 5:28 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Knurled: Current API = no/low zinc, no good for flat tappet V configuration pushrod motors, mostly chevies. That's why all the old engine guys are running "racing" oils (Brad Penn, Royal Purple, Valvoline VR1, Richard Childress, etc)

IIRC The motor oils of the mid-late 60s only had 600-800ppm in them. The ZDDP thing is way berkeleyin overblown from a few dudes who are running way more cam and spring than they should without rollers and found out the oil they had been using for a crutch no longer worked.

A lot of OHC engines stuck with flat tapppet/sliding finger cams to this day and have no problems. I run M1 15w50 in the Yugo because its cheap full syn oil in the correct grade more than the ZDDP, and it wiped a cam anyways, on stock used springs with a stock cam!

Javelin
8/16/13 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

No, the ZDDP thing is not overblown. Hot Rod, Car Craft, and PHR (Engine Master's) all looked into it big time and it is a serious issue for a lot of engines, even modern ones, especially if they have had aftermarket modifications performed. It's not relegated to just American V8's either, it's a pretty big deal in the Porsche world (both flat 4/6's and the slant 4's/V8's), hence Brad Penn. And it's not just the zinc levels in the oils, but a lot of the other stuff as well including molybdenum. Modern API oils detergents and additives (that help do things like be 0W20, have anti-foaming properties, and last 10K miles) actually harm the older stuff as well. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you wiped your cam in your Yugo because of the Mobil 1...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/13 6:02 p.m.

I needed to both the saab and rover's brakes.. so I just ordered 3 litres

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/16/13 6:15 p.m.

"By opening this product and pouring it into your crankcase, you acknowledge and agree (i) that you do not expect it to actually be purple in color; (ii) that Royal Purple Inc., its Board of Directors, its shareholders, its distributors, its retailers, and the guy at the lube counter, whether acting individually or in concert, in any combination, shall neither have nor incur, now or subsequently, any liability to you or to any other person, place, or thing by reason of any expectation by anyone that this product would be purple in color; and (iii) that the foregoing goes double for the 'Royal' part."

That should cover it.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
8/16/13 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Kenny, no offense, but a story about something wearing out on a Yugo isn't exactly front page news.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/16/13 6:31 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

It always been a common problem on ALL Fiat single and twin cam engines.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/16/13 7:43 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I needed to both the saab and rover's brakes.. so I just ordered 3 litres

if you're just using it 'cause it's good high temp brake fluid, then the Ate amber is the same thing, just no blue dye

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/16/13 8:25 p.m.

Next up: my Toyota Red coolant. Some stupid American might confuse it with Grenadine and try to make a mixed drink with it. Can't have that.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/16/13 8:29 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Next up: my Toyota Red coolant. Some stupid American might confuse it with Grenadine and try to make a mixed drink with it. Can't have that.

What about GM grape juice differential oil? Is that too likely to be confused with grape juice mix?

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/16/13 8:35 p.m.

photo penn.jpg

ssswitch
ssswitch New Reader
8/16/13 10:19 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Looks like maybe us Friggin Canadians can still buy it...

Quick, let's set up a smuggling ring.

Look for me on a special of "Cops" where they raid a suspected drug tunnel only to find a guy carrying cheap tires back from the US in exchange for illegal racing brake fluid.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/16/13 10:55 p.m.

It's been illegal in florida for years. Florida doesn't have safety inspection and I highly doubt there are very many smokeys who are going to pop your hood and look at the color of your break fluid...let alone if they even know what brake fluid is.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/16/13 11:00 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

They'll probably get ya for bringing the occasional high flow toilet into the US.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/16/13 11:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Florida noticed this first, they're the only state we know of that's kicked up a fuss about it.

It bares repeating:

Taiden
Taiden UltraDork
8/17/13 7:13 a.m.

So who wants to get together and sell alanine dyes as ATE additive?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/13 7:13 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I needed to both the saab and rover's brakes.. so I just ordered 3 litres
if you're just using it 'cause it's good high temp brake fluid, then the Ate amber is the same thing, just no blue dye

I had Amber in my BMW.. it's great stuff.. but this was a perfect oppertunity to voice my displeasure

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
8/17/13 7:24 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
wbjones wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I think that was sarcasm...
sorry ...mine also .. where's that sarcasm emoticon when you need it ?
It's not really sarcasm/satire if you have to tell people, is it?

I believe Poe's Law is in effect here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PoesLaw

TAParker
TAParker New Reader
8/17/13 11:14 a.m.

Well, hate to see it go, but I'll find a suitable substitute/replacement. Really not worth all the fuss IMHO...............

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/17/13 6:36 p.m.

good to see all the drugs are off the street and the economy is booming...that way we can go back to worrying about stopping companies who make convenient and safe products!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KzqfbWFl8R6Pn40armY1H1F2nOs98p7UQdAGRcBeBC0lXbCJPf6bH3W0dHlOkoEg