J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/18/24 3:23 p.m.
feature_image

The horsepower numbers produced by today's EVs continue to raise eyebrows, and that’s no different for the Audi RS e-tron GT performance. Audi rates it for 925 PS, or roughly 918 horsepower.

Furthermore, it retails overseas for 160,500 euros (approximately $178,000 USD). Yes, that’s a lot of money, but consider some of its competitors, like the Mustang GTD (~$300,000 for 815 …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/18/24 3:25 p.m.

I don't love that "performance" is lowercase, but, other than that, 900+ horsepower sounds like a lot of fun.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/18/24 4:02 p.m.

This competes with hardcore ICE powered coupes like the GTD or GT3 RS? High performance EV sedans like the Model S Plaid, Taycan Turbo, Lucid Air seem like more appropriate competition. And this thing is way more expensive than all but the raciest Taycan or Lucid Air. Heck, a Plaid has over 1000hp for literally half the price of this Audi. I'm not the biggest Tesla fan by a long shot, but the value proposition for this thing is pretty poor by comparison.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/18/24 4:05 p.m.

Audi has not learned its lesson yet on electrics. how poorly did the R8-E sell and you are still pushing super high dollar electrics. 

Build a Q5/Q3 electric and keep the ICE powered ones as an option and you will have an electric that sells. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/18/24 6:19 p.m.

Regular guy using all 918hp on "winding mountain passes" and he may just discover the fastest way to become part of the landscape in the valley far below.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/18/24 6:36 p.m.
STM317 said:

This competes with hardcore ICE powered coupes like the GTD or GT3 RS? High performance EV sedans like the Model S Plaid, Taycan Turbo, Lucid Air seem like more appropriate competition. And this thing is way more expensive than all but the raciest Taycan or Lucid Air. Heck, a Plaid has over 1000hp for literally half the price of this Audi. I'm not the biggest Tesla fan by a long shot, but the value proposition for this thing is pretty poor by comparison.

My goal was connecting it to yesterday's story on the GTD - admittedly, it may have missed than mark.
Porsche Taycan Turbo GT with Weissach Package - 1019 hp with Porsche Active Ride (similar to RS performance) - $230,000.
Lucid Air Sapphire - 1234 hp with RS performance similar options - $249,000.
Audi RS e-tron GT performance - ~$178,000.
Tesla Plaid - 1020 hp with RS performance similar options- $89,990.

The Plaid is a bargain when compared to the field.

I'm curious how the U.S. version of the e-tron will vary from its European counterpart.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/24 8:40 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I don't love that "performance" is lowercase, but, other than that, 900+ horsepower sounds like a lot of fun.

Audi has precedent.  quattro is (supposed to be) lowercase, too.  Unless you are referring to the specific B2 chassis model known only as the Quattro.  (The ur-q)

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
9/18/24 9:28 p.m.

If you've seen an e-tron in person- they are gorgeous. In my opinion, far nicer looking than the model s, plaid, or whatever. And even really the taycan. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/18/24 9:34 p.m.

This scares me. Has VAG reincarnated Lucas Industries?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/19/24 9:47 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Colin Wood said:

Audi has precedent.  quattro is (supposed to be) lowercase, too.  Unless you are referring to the specific B2 chassis model known only as the Quattro.  (The ur-q)

True, but I'll add that I'm not the biggest fan of quattro being lowercase, either.

I get it, though, and I'll continue to write quattro and performance in lowercase, but I'm going to complain the whole time. wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3YNKDXXFZuGtgFmA5CQqTltDSUOAQy397SEitsRmGngu5W1EbXQcp9Yc5VcQxoia