prima
prima
5/27/08 5:45 p.m.

Per mentioned in another post that the August issue will have a tire test. The tire he mentioned is the Fuzion ZRi. I've got 195/50-15s on my '99 Miata for summer fun/auto-x and I was wondering what other people thought of them. I'm still trying to decide if I like them or not! Anyone know when the August issue is to be mailed out and what tire GRM tested. Thanks. I hope to take my 2000 Maxima to a local PCA auto-x in a week and a half with some new Bridgestone RE 760s. The tires got about seven hundred miles on them and it will be the first event running them. I'll let y'all know how they are.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/27/08 6:52 p.m.

Well, the August issue is actually uploading to the printer from my computer right now, so look for it to enter the mail system about this time next week. Ironically enough, the file containing the tire test just finished uploading.

The tire we tested in the comparison was the Fuzion ZRi in 195/50-15. It's not a bad choice.

jg

JG Pasterjak
5/27/08 7:13 p.m.

All of the magazines are printed in Kentucky at Publishers' Press. They all get labels there, but they don't necessarily go in the mail there. A lot of them get "co-mailed" with other mailpieces and are drop-shipped and inserted in the mail system at other major hubs (L.A., Denver, Chicago, Dallas, etc.). Saves us a few bucks and gets magazines to the readers sooner.

As for when you'll get the issue,that depends on whether you made the cut for the supplemental mailing or not. Each issue gets mailed twice: Once when it gets printed, then again a few weeks later to folks who subscribed after the first mailing.

Your best bet is to email the office and find out when you went in the system. They'll be able to tell you when your first issue will be served. Just use the "contact us" link at the bottom.

jg

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB Reader
5/27/08 7:15 p.m.

Thanks, did not know anything about the manufacturing/printing process.

Dave

prima
prima
5/27/08 7:20 p.m.

Thanks for answering so quick JG. I always like when GRM and CMS do tire tests. Between y'all and Tirerack it's always the straight poop. For what it is worth 'bout the ZRis. The price was good (got them w/ Kosei wheels as a bundle from the Tirerack). The tires are loud but ride good for a UHP. Don't think I've driven them in the rain yet. Fine on the street/road. The only two surfaces I've auto-xed them on has been VERY slick concerete and VERY loose asphalt and they've taken everything I've thrown at them and preformed OK. I'm starting to realize that any problems has been my getting used to the Miata after driving/auto-xing the Maxima for four seasons.

carguy123
carguy123 New Reader
5/27/08 8:19 p.m.

The only downside to the Tire Rack tests is that they never seem to test tires they don't carry, imagine that.

So we will need to depend upon GRM to fill that gap.

JG Pasterjak
5/27/08 8:51 p.m.

We've been present for some of those Tire Rack tests and they really do an excellent and methodical job of testing tires. Honestly, watching them taught us a lot about how to get better data out of our tests. Some of their testers are national level autocrossers to boot. Yeah, they only test their stuff, but they do a heck of a good job at it.

jg

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
5/28/08 5:23 p.m.

Just when I thought I had decided to throw just a matching pair on the new wheels to go with the weak sauce tires that came with it (Nexen 3000's) since two of the tires have a lot of life left.

I keep telling myself the money spend on a new set of Dunlop Direzza star specs would be better spent on CA, LCAB's and new bearings, but its hard to say no to fresh rubber!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALKRzdypzb8ESiyd6XzhfyXfwoKZWyOyIjRUSeimPh58CnGVTcdTrqTqQzfYEK0L