bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/22/24 11:32 a.m.

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – Norfolk Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers, along with inspectors with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), seized 14 noncompliant vehicles from Norfolk since October.

According to officials, since Oct. 28, 2024, 14 vehicles, including food trailers, food buggies, Tuk Tuks, electric golf carts and a camping trailer, were seized in Norfolk for not conforming to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

The vehicles arrived from China, with one electric golf cart from Hong Kong and were addressed to locations in Virginia, including Richmond, Leesburg and Winchester, as well as other locations throughout the United States. A release from CBP stated the combined assessed value was about $185,000.

“Consumer markets are global today, opening the door the cheaper and unique products, but cheaper doesn’t always mean safe or compliant,” CBP’s Area Port Director for the Area Port of Norfolk-Newport News Mark Laria said. “If you are considering purchasing unique vehicles like these, carefully research the overseas manufacturers first to ensure that the vehicle you like complies with all applicable U.S. laws for vehicle safety standards and importation.”

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
7/22/24 11:37 a.m.

Do you have a link to the article?   Something is weird about this (beyond the time travel).  Why is the NHTSA involved?  Does their authority extend beyond road going vehicles?  You can by a noncompliant car to put in a museum or drive on the track, right?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/24 11:47 a.m.
bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/22/24 11:48 a.m.

Link:    https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/14-noncompliant-vehicles-seized-from-norfolk-since-october/

Edit:  Rons link above has more information and presumably the correct date. :(

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
7/22/24 11:58 a.m.
prodarwin said:

Do you have a link to the article?   Something is weird about this (beyond the time travel).  Why is the NHTSA involved?  Does their authority extend beyond road going vehicles?  You can by a noncompliant car to put in a museum or drive on the track, right?

What he said.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 12:15 p.m.

In reply to prodarwin :

There are exemptions for show & display and IIRC race cars that can't be put back to street use.

Everything else has to conform or be at least 25 years old.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/22/24 12:39 p.m.
prodarwin said:

There are quite a few examples of things being marketed as if they were road vehicles sold through the usual sites for ordering stuff straight from China. Example here

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 5:53 p.m.

No C2 Corvette with one of these in the back?

Thank FSM that they are keeping us safe from all of the non-conforming tuk tuks!

/s

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/24 9:13 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I'd prefer to think they're keeping the people in the tuk-tuks safe from today's FMVSS-compliant 6klb pickups with hoods at face level.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/24 12:50 p.m.

Dang ... I guess I'm not getting that Tuk Tuk that I ordered on ebay 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
7/24/24 1:04 p.m.

Forget TukTuks, Send me a Jeepney! 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/24 1:19 p.m.

I sure am glad I live in a free country where the citizens aren't overly regulated. God forbid they allow the people to do what they want. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/24/24 2:04 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

I'd prefer to think they're keeping the people in the tuk-tuks safe from today's FMVSS-compliant 6klb pickups with hoods at face level.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0FifQOTTIaNynFlhDtCPFLvBZttEjE5CG1xW2XgsoRenMjkArtO7HErF15aFDqU