1 2
M030
M030 HalfDork
12/6/12 8:53 a.m.

Is it possible? Is there a car, preferably a cheap old junk, that can do well at both eith only a tire change between event types?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/12 8:54 a.m.

We are planning the Sciricco at both and change tires, wheels and strut assemblies between events.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
12/6/12 9:03 a.m.

Stock Miata?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
12/6/12 9:07 a.m.

Depends. As long as you define doing well as not being a backmarker, you're fine, but the levels of prep (even in stock classes) would probably preclude one car from being nationally competitive in both rallyx and autox

I think someone in my region has done so with his Neon ACR. I'd say a Neon could be decent for the job, though you'd probably want to stay in stock classes for both. I run a Neon Sport in RallyX, and it'd probably be okay in autox, if I changed the springs back to stock, and grabbed some R-comp tires. I'm just nowhere near the car's capabilities in autox.

Other cars that come to mind include VW Golf (Mk 2 and 3), Subaru GC 2.5RS, Miata (if you are daring), RX-7 (2nd gen, or a first gen GSL-SE if you can find one without too much rust), B13 Sentra... A lot of cars that did well in the past in autox are good for rallycross, since a lot of the attributes (especially size and weight) carry over. With rallycross, just have to add durability (and maybe ground clearance) to the factors to keep an eye out for.

From a rallycrosser's perspective, you probably don't want to prep a car up to Modified level, better to keep it Stock or Prepared, if you want it to be a viable competitor in both disciplines.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/6/12 9:07 a.m.

In reply to M030:

Yes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/12 9:21 a.m.

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. The big problem is that hard suspension and stiff anti-roll are bad for rallycross but good for autocross. If I were to design a car that could do both, it would be something with good suspension geometry that can corner well while leaned way over on soft springs.

Oh and +1 for GC Impreza, that's what I'd try with.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/6/12 9:25 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to M030: Yes.

You may not take 1st, but you'll have fun. What's more important?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/12 9:30 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I've been trying to figure out the same thing. The big problem is that hard suspension and stiff anti-roll are bad for rallycross but good for autocross. If I were to design a car that could do both, it would be something with good suspension geometry that can corner well while leaned way over on soft springs. Oh and +1 for GC Impreza, that's what I'd try with.

Locost with quick disconnects on the sway bars and multiple adjustment holes on the bell cranks for the inboard shocks to adjust height and rate. You'll still have to change tires/wheels.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
12/6/12 9:32 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to M030: Yes.

+1

Cheap old junk doing well at rallycross or autocross is pretty much always going to come down to the driver anyway.

I recently drove an STX/PA Bugeye WRX (at a rallycross). The owner only changes tires between autocross and rallycross. If he disconnected the big sway bars for rallycross it would be better but that hasn't stopped him.

GameboyRMH
12/6/12 9:37 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Locost with quick disconnects on the sway bars and multiple adjustment holes on the bell cranks for the inboard shocks to adjust height and rate. You'll still have to change tires/wheels.

Smart, that would work well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
12/6/12 10:05 a.m.

Nope, it's not possible:

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
12/6/12 10:39 a.m.

$500 Nissan 300zx, painfully stock with 235k hard, neglected miles

Has won 3 regional SCCA RallyX championships and highest overall points in region

Regular at CFRC autocross and mini-roadcoarse events, with times always in top 10 out of a typical 40-45 cars

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/6/12 10:44 a.m.

I just finished a season of rallycross in the MR2, and plan to try an autocross next year with a tire swap. Why not?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/6/12 11:01 a.m.
Aeromoto wrote: $500 Nissan 300zx, painfully stock with 235k hard, neglected miles Has won 3 regional SCCA RallyX championships and highest overall points in region Regular at CFRC autocross and mini-roadcoarse events, with times always in top 10 out of a typical 40-45 cars

I did the same thing, until my shocks were too blown for autoX.

also kinda just made autoX with it a bit rallyXy...

no cones!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
12/6/12 11:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Oh and +1 for GC Impreza, that's what I'd try with.

I have no idea how they do in autocross, but put them on a fairly technical rallycross course, and they do great against WRXs.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/6/12 12:08 p.m.

Have a complete set of suspension for each event and swap out between. Depending on the type of car disconnect front or rear anti-roll bar for rally-X while you are in there swapping the struts. Some cars want the front disconnected others the rear.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
12/6/12 12:26 p.m.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/6/12 12:47 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Have a complete set of suspension for each event and swap out between. Depending on the type of car disconnect front or rear anti-roll bar for rally-X while you are in there swapping the struts. Some cars want the front disconnected others the rear.

I used to do that, now I'm just lazy.

its 6 bolts to replace both rear shocks on my FC and you don't even have to remove the wheels.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
12/6/12 12:51 p.m.

I'm planning to do both in the Beetle when I get it finished... I won't be a contender in either, but it WILL be fun.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
12/6/12 1:20 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
NGTD wrote: Have a complete set of suspension for each event and swap out between. Depending on the type of car disconnect front or rear anti-roll bar for rally-X while you are in there swapping the struts. Some cars want the front disconnected others the rear.
I used to do that, now I'm just lazy. its 6 bolts to replace both rear shocks on my FC and you don't even have to remove the wheels.

My race prep includes:

Swapping the crappy snow tires for crappy street tires, or vise-versa, maybe checking the pressure if they look low.

Maybe check the fluids, possibly an oil change if walmart has an oil sale on

Load car on trailer, go to event, drive the piss out of the car, collect trophy if I've won one, tow home, take nap and forget about the car until the day before the next event, and repeat.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/6/12 2:10 p.m.

I'm running my Mazda2 in both rallyx and autox. Right now I'm running Star Specs as my every day and autocross tires. I switch to snows for rallyx. I think the more completely your build a car for autox the farther away from a rallyx setup you get. If I was going to try and do it and be nationally competitive in a class I'd check the stock classes to see what I could see. H-stock looks like an SVT focus could possibly do it. A G-stock celica might be an option and as usual, a Miata from E-stock seems like it could certianly be the answer. New-ish WRX's seem to hold their own in D-stock. Any of those cars would be competetive in their respective rallyx class at a national level.

GameboyRMH
12/6/12 2:10 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: My race prep includes: Swapping the crappy snow tires for crappy street tires, or vise-versa, maybe checking the pressure if they look low. Maybe check the fluids, possibly an oil change if walmart has an oil sale on Load car on trailer, go to event, drive the piss out of the car, collect trophy if I've won one, tow home, take nap and forget about the car until the day before the next event, and repeat.

Hey somebody who's lazier than me, this makes me feel good

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive New Reader
12/6/12 2:53 p.m.

EF civic

I've won plenty of stock class autocrosses with it, and with a decent driver and the right tires, it would be up in the front of stock rallyX class too.

Jerry
Jerry New Reader
12/6/12 3:49 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Aeromoto wrote: My race prep includes: Swapping the crappy snow tires for crappy street tires, or vise-versa, maybe checking the pressure if they look low. Maybe check the fluids, possibly an oil change if walmart has an oil sale on Load car on trailer, go to event, drive the piss out of the car, collect trophy if I've won one, tow home, take nap and forget about the car until the day before the next event, and repeat.
Hey somebody who's lazier than me, this makes me feel good

Until I was gifted a set of 14" rally tires on rims that fit my MR2 this past weekend, I was lazier than this. Enter garage, check/add air in tires, drive to event, have a great time, laugh at possibility of winning a trophy, go home and watch Netflix.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/12 12:49 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Locost with quick disconnects on the sway bars and multiple adjustment holes on the bell cranks for the inboard shocks to adjust height and rate. You'll still have to change tires/wheels.

Locosts aren't production cars and don't have OEM fixed roofs. Not rallycrossable.

I find that soft suspension doesn't work too well. I run pretty stiff springs in my car and I keep wanting more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5h7BwbUt8B2kjsAdIOIKHPIPMvvKs2wjsEhsDXgRuobeLQgVkp34S2GiBPbdL6Jo