1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/12 12:49 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Load car on trailer, go to event, drive the piss out of the car, collect trophy if I've won one, tow home, take nap and forget about the car until the day before the next event, and repeat.

What's a trailer?

JKleiner
JKleiner New Reader
12/8/12 1:53 p.m.

My buddy Kenny on Saturday:

And on Sunday:

Having more fun than anybody and doing it for well under $1K

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
12/8/12 1:59 p.m.

Yes it is...

RallyX_1

Screen shot 2011-11-19 at 7.26.48 PM

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
12/8/12 2:57 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Aeromoto wrote: Load car on trailer, go to event, drive the piss out of the car, collect trophy if I've won one, tow home, take nap and forget about the car until the day before the next event, and repeat.
What's a trailer?

A trailer is something you use when you're already paying license, reg, and ins on 5 cars, and you don't want to add it to a 6th car just to do a bit of weekend racing, and you already have the tow rig and trailer that you are using for work, anyways.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
12/8/12 3:05 p.m.
JKleiner wrote: My buddy Kenny on Saturday: And on Sunday: Having more fun than anybody and doing it for well under $1K

B-210! That's the tits! I'd love to find one. Where'd they all disappear to?

Knurled
12/8/12 3:11 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: A trailer is something you use when you're already paying license, reg, and ins on 5 cars, and you don't want to add it to a 6th car just to do a bit of weekend racing, and you already have the tow rig and trailer that you are using for work, anyways.

Why not just daily drive the rallycross car? If driving the car is fun, then getting to drive it every day is even more fun.

Plus, you get to laugh manaically when you can plow right over potholes, curbs, small downed trees, etc. without slowing down. When the tail end of Sandy hit, I had a lot of fun driving around.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
12/8/12 3:15 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Aeromoto wrote: A trailer is something you use when you're already paying license, reg, and ins on 5 cars, and you don't want to add it to a 6th car just to do a bit of weekend racing, and you already have the tow rig and trailer that you are using for work, anyways.
Why not just daily drive the rallycross car? If driving the car is fun, then getting to drive it every day is *even more fun*. Plus, you get to laugh manaically when you can plow right over potholes, curbs, small downed trees, etc. without slowing down. When the tail end of Sandy hit, I had a *lot* of fun driving around.

If I thought a 300zx would be any good at towing wrecked aircraft carcasses around, I would certainly drive it daily

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
12/8/12 3:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I'm thinking the same way. I've got a Subaru Legacy Wagon that I autocrossed this year and I'd like to Rally cross it for next season. I had planned to tow my old Civic but I like the idea of 'Swiss Army' do anything kind of car is cooler.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/8/12 4:51 p.m.

Just "prepped" my car for autocross tomorrow. I took out the kids car seats and put my helmet and numbers in the front seat. Done. It makes rallycross seem like a pain in the butt. For that I have to put the snow tires in the back as well, and change them at the event. Now that's work. I think of my car as a secret super hero. Day to day it's just an innocent kid hauler, but on the weekend it puts on numbers and bounces off the rev limiter and is transformed into super awesome car.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
12/8/12 6:06 p.m.

I like where this thread is going! How would an e36 work? Is there a reason why they dont seem as popular at rallycross events?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/8/12 6:26 p.m.
Uncoiled wrote: I like where this thread is going! How would an e36 work? Is there a reason why they dont seem as popular at rallycross events?

Possibly due to purchase costs, but who knows...

I'd love to rallyx my E30 if I had any confidence in being able to drive home afterwards (see other threads...).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/9/12 2:34 p.m.

E36 would almost certainly probably work just fine. Keep in mind that RWD cars are slower than FWD cars in rallycross. If you're running in a region that doesn't have fwd and RWD split apart you'll technically be at a disadvantage. At least on paper. That said, pretty much everyone who can turn the wheel agrees that RWD cars are more fun.
Just got back from a bmwcca autocross and my car on star specs is getting pretty damn close to the M3's on stock rubber. I love do it all cars.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
12/9/12 3:00 p.m.

Around here, you need ground clearance and skid plates. For rallye cross thet is. They are run in fields that really rut up. So it depends on the surface.

Knurled
12/9/12 3:48 p.m.
Uncoiled wrote: I like where this thread is going! How would an e36 work? Is there a reason why they dont seem as popular at rallycross events?

Probably because the typical E36 owner isn't interested in rallycross for whatever reason, or if they do then they just buy a different car.

E36 M3s seem to be popular rally cars in Finland, where they have a "Group F" for cars out of homologation. The engines already put out as much power as you can put down on gravel, and the suspensions already have tons of travel, so they just uprate the springs and shocks, cage them, and put real transmissions in them. (Engines in GpF are free aside from having to use the original block/head, not being allowed to decrease the stroke, and there's a displacement/weight rule) Plus they can find them cheaper than Starlets and Corollas and other useful RWD cars.

I personally like the idea of an E36 M3 as a rallycross car. But then, I like the idea of anything as a rallycross car. My current "neato" idea is a C5 FRC, or a Miata with the control arms extended a couple inches each for massive wheel travel capability.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/9/12 5:31 p.m.

Do they change the front bumper cover? The M3 lip is pretty low, even when stock. I can't imagine trying to rallyx one after seeing event pics.

I just put the oe lip on my E30 and the thing barely clears the grass when parked on my lawn. We'll see how it goes driving to work tomorrow. Granted, my car does have H&R sport springs, so its a bit lower.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/9/12 5:35 p.m.

How much travel do e36's really have? I only watched them autocross and most of them seem to be lowered. Ratty e36's are cheap..........

Knurled
12/9/12 6:02 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Do they change the front bumper cover? The M3 lip is pretty low, even when stock. I can't imagine trying to rallyx one after seeing event pics.

Most probably. Plus, well, if it gets torn off on stage, they can put another one on later.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/9/12 7:23 p.m.

On an M3, not really... The whole bumper cover is pretty low. I remember the one on my g/f's car was pretty beat up and she was neurotically careful about it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/12 11:40 p.m.
Knurled wrote: My current "neato" idea is a C5 FRC, or a Miata with the control arms extended a couple inches each for massive wheel travel capability.

I've been thinking about that for the Miata. Locost style extended control arms, cut the fenders for clearance and run large flares.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
12/10/12 5:54 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
Knurled wrote: My current "neato" idea is a C5 FRC, or a Miata with the control arms extended a couple inches each for massive wheel travel capability.
I've been thinking about that for the Miata. Locost style extended control arms, cut the fenders for clearance and run large flares.

You both need to get out of my head. Do FC axles fit in the Miata uprights? If so, there's your increased rear width solution.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
12/10/12 8:35 a.m.
EvanB wrote:

If the car gets wider, it'll be harder to straighten out slaloms

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/12 6:13 p.m.

I think a FC RX7 would be a blast to RallyX. I'd have that thing reving all over the place.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2mDIeCtSXcQnyPfq3X1v4fxCDFdPU66A6Ww79hB0Po3pmlcIxG9SktNrMucpvId