1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:00 p.m.

As I find myself with a complete Porsche 911 that I don't really need, I started to wonder about Beck 904s. I've never been a kit car guy, but this one kind of intrigues me.

Anybody know anything about them?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/1/12 12:02 p.m.

Enter Brad in 3...2...1......

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:07 p.m.

Here I am!

Block out about four hours of your day and give Chuck a call. He will talk your ear off, but he is willing to work with anyone to build practically anything.

As I recall, last time I was there, he was working on a 997.1 GT3 powered watercooled monster, as well as one with a HUGE power turbo engine from a 962!

A "base" 904 uses the 993 carrera flat 6, but he could probably just build you a shell and you could put a G50 and a 3.2 in it.

It is, hands down, the fastest car I have ever been in. With 993 power and enough traction, it'll 0-60 in 4 seconds. STUNNING!

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/1/12 12:07 p.m.

I'm the wrong Brad, but feel like I should say something here.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
3/1/12 12:17 p.m.

I'm not a Brad, at all...but I think that would be an awesome project/build.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/1/12 12:19 p.m.

That's a sexy silver porsche.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:24 p.m.
RossD wrote: That's a sexy silver porsche.

I believe that is Randy Beck's car (Chuck's son). He races it in POC out in Cali. I loves me some 3 piece Fuchs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/1/12 12:24 p.m.

I'm not Brad either but you should do it.

I visit Hartford atleast 2x a month. You should put it somewhere I could stare at it while drinking. It would improve my impression of the place.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:28 p.m.

I can't really see a flaw in that plan, especially if you hot up the engine a little or at least put throttle bodies on it for improved sound.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
3/1/12 12:33 p.m.

2011 Mitty

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 12:39 p.m.

Do it Do it Do it, and take lost of pictures.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/1/12 12:43 p.m.

Best use for a 911 Targa. Ever.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

If the Porsche you don't need is the Carrera, I'll take it off your hands.

Woody
3/1/12 1:37 p.m.

That car would probably have to go if this happens. I'd need the cash and the garage space.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 1:57 p.m.

What do the 904 kits go for? I can't find any pricing info. And seriously, let me know if you get to the point of selling the Carrera. I've always wanted one that color.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/1/12 1:59 p.m.

Now that I look at your picture, I'm wondering, is that the steel blue color or silver?

Woody
3/1/12 2:12 p.m.

It's called Diamond Blue, but it looks dark gray to me. BMW had a very similar color that was common on E30s back in the day.

This is the color that you want...

Woody
3/1/12 2:13 p.m.

...or you could opt for a black Targa...

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
3/1/12 2:33 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: What do the 904 kits go for? I can't find any pricing info. And seriously, let me know if you get to the point of selling the Carrera. I've always wanted one that color.

'If you have to ask...'

I really like the Beck's and love the 904, but they make their living by building maybe half a dozen of these cars a year, so it aint cheap. There's no assembly line, every car is built to buyer specs. Don't expect Factory Five prices.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 2:37 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: What do the 904 kits go for? I can't find any pricing info. And seriously, let me know if you get to the point of selling the Carrera. I've always wanted one that color.

About 60K all in.

Here's my take on it.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 2:38 p.m.
nderwater wrote:
'If you have to ask...' I really like the Beck's and love the 904, but they make their living by building maybe half a dozen of these cars a year, so it aint cheap. There's no assembly line, every car is built to buyer specs. Don't expect Factory Five prices.

Considering the build quality, the flat six sound, and the fact that you can't even get a base Boxster for 904 money, I'd say it's still a win! (It ain't exactly built off of 5.0 mustang components...)

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
3/1/12 2:46 p.m.

Banks finance Porsche buyers every day, but they don't exactly bend over backward to finance custom-built cars like these. It takes a buyer with some connections or a lot of play money to buy one.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
3/1/12 2:49 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote:

Ive seen this car in a couple of Porsche car corals. Beautiful!

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
3/1/12 3:32 p.m.

I'll just drop this right here....

Walter Rohrl wringing out a 904

I'll never be able to fit in a 904 replica or otherwise, it would be a pretty fun car to have.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/12 3:37 p.m.
Woody wrote:

I want! For some reason that model 911 has always been my favorite.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bEt8aoQ8gVXo4xDiS8e42zwxHdLoTN5RoBMfV2g9y5OCS9kKasdhW7gFhhVqdx0B