1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 4:01 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: What do the 904 kits go for? I can't find any pricing info. And seriously, let me know if you get to the point of selling the Carrera. I've always wanted one that color.

I sent them an email, but I haven't heard back yet.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 4:14 p.m.
Woody wrote:
bravenrace wrote: What do the 904 kits go for? I can't find any pricing info. And seriously, let me know if you get to the point of selling the Carrera. I've always wanted one that color.

Chuck is...like...a hundred. And he has a young daughter to watch out for.

IIRC, it is his wife that answers most of the e-mails, and even then it might be touch and go. Seriously, your best bet is to give him a call. YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Ask him about the time he worked for Shelby.

The greatest words I have ever heard from any human being came from Chuck. He told me (not paraphrasing) "Before I had my first heart-attack, I was building a 917 powered plane with a 25 foot wingspan."

Yeah...think about that for a minute.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/1/12 4:27 p.m.

I think I have some rough pricing in a Kit Car Builder magazine. I'll try to find it when I get home tonight.

I do vaguely remember seeing and going:

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/12 5:51 p.m.

I would take one of those over a boxster or cayman anyday

Canute
Canute Reader
3/2/12 2:11 a.m.

Sweet looking car. At 1700 pounds it oughta move too.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/2/12 7:34 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Woody wrote:
Chuck is...like...a hundred. And he has a young daughter to watch out for. IIRC, it is his wife that answers most of the e-mails, and even then it might be touch and go. Seriously, your best bet is to give him a call. YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Ask him about the time he worked for Shelby. The greatest words I have ever heard from any human being came from Chuck. He told me (not paraphrasing) "Before I had my first heart-attack, I was building a 917 powered plane with a 25 foot wingspan." Yeah...think about that for a minute.

So how much does he pay you?

mad_machine
3/2/12 7:47 a.m.

I would take an 80s 911 and do a long nose conversion on it. I miss my 72.. but I would rather have the galvanised body of the later cars

Woody
3/2/12 8:17 a.m.

Well, it was a cool idea...

Complete 3.6 LT $75,000.

Complete car minus motor and transmission $60,000.

We require a $10,000. deposit, it takes about 3 or 4 months to deliver.

Any further information please contact Chuck Beck at 678-7873399 7:30 AM to 8:00 PM.

040 thick 304 stainless steel monocoque chassis.

Double A arm suspension .

4 piston aluminum calipers .

Duel master cylinders with balance bar.

CNC machine billet aluminum up right .

1.5 inch roll bar installed main hoop

Porsche hubs and bearings for service .

911 SC rotors .

Complete oil system including oil cooler ,oil lines and custom oil tank.

Complete fuel system ,fuel tank or fuel cell available .

Throttle ,clutch and brakes installed .

Interior , black door panels and black custom bucket seats.

Carpet gray or black.

Standard pull up side windows glass or Lexan .

Any air-cooled Porsche engine will work 2 liter to 3.8 liter.

Wheels 8x16 from 9x16 rear alloy replica .

Gear box 901 or 915.

Windshield wiper ,headlight ,turn signals ,horn and parking lite.

904 gauges by VDO.

Hand laid fiber glass body.

Paint color your choice .

Finished weight wet approximately 1750 pounds with 3.6 liter engine.

Thank you!

Gleide Beck

www.chuckBeck904.com

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 8:20 a.m.

Buy a Brinklin or other VW kit car and do the swap GRM style.

Woody
3/2/12 8:22 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Buy a Brinklin or other VW kit car and do the swap GRM style.

I'd rather have a 911 Targa.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/2/12 8:34 a.m.

My name is not Brad, and I like tacos, burritos, and nachos.

And I think it's cool, if overpriced for what you're getting. Ref: FFR roadster for $13k.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/2/12 8:38 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: My name is not Brad, and I like tacos, burritos, and nachos. And I think it's cool, if overpriced for what you're getting. Ref: FFR roadster for $13k.

I can't afford it, but I think the pricing is actually extremely reasonable.

mad_machine
3/2/12 8:53 a.m.

Considering what you get... if I had the cash burning a hole in pocket, I would buy a 904 replica

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
3/2/12 9:25 a.m.

It's a unique, turn-key revival of a historic sports racer hand crafted by a father-son team of fabricators who live and breathe Porsche. If you've got the means to buy one, you're supporting good people doing a good thing.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
3/2/12 9:39 a.m.

I don't dispute any of sentiments- great car, Chuck Beck is a badass (in my '80s infatuation with the 550 I had several articles about his cars plastered in my room), but lets look at what we're doing here- did I read the $50k number right? That's a lot of money for what is going to still be an austere kit car, regardless of quality. Without firsthand knowledge, could it be compared in quality to an FFR?

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/2/12 10:06 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: So how much does he pay you?

I know this was asked in jest, but not a damn dime. Chuck is just one of those fascinating people that you gravitate toward. He is an enthusiast just like you or I.

I spent an afternoon with him almost a year ago, and it was and is one of the most fun days of my life. We went to lunch and he told stories. We went to his shop and he told stories. We drove around in a 904 and he told stories. His wife called and told him he was late for a wedding, and he was still telling stories.

His custom, one off, engines are really neat. His stories of Ford at Le Mans had me intrigued. He has forgotten more about cars than I will likely ever know.

Honestly, I could care less if you buy one of his cars (though they do rock), but if you get the chance to meet Chuck and you don't, it's a mistake.

Woody
3/2/12 10:42 a.m.

I suspect that the car is worth every penny. I just don't have that many pennies.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/2/12 11:08 a.m.

Chuck Beck completely rocks! His cars are also top-notch, especially the 904. The deeper you look at the car the more impressive it gets. I'd say the cost is completely fair.

He usually brings the cars to the Mitty, and is always welcoming, willing to offer a beer and like Maroon said, his stories are amazing!

If you ever get a chance to sit down and talk with Chuck, you really should make a point to do so. I've lusted after one of his Speedsters for years. Of course I'd put VW emblems on it though!

Woody
3/2/12 11:31 a.m.

Potential magazine feature?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/2/12 11:53 a.m.

It's definitely got awesomeness in spades, but if came down to writing the check I'd probably go with something less pricey... like a Europa with modern running gear.

Woody
3/2/12 11:55 a.m.

I wonder if I can fit a 911 engine in a Europa...

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/2/12 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

The narrow "V" shape rear chassis limits Europa power to narrow engines.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/3/12 3:22 a.m.

Beck 904:

Yes, please, thank you, may I have another, sir?

David

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
3/6/12 10:37 p.m.

Not a Beck, but worth sharing:

Woody
3/7/12 8:32 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Not a Beck, but worth sharing:

Who make's that one?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.