1 2
kylini
kylini New Reader
10/8/13 5:55 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I hate to say it but is that really a safe place to put corner workers? Some times I really wonder about how some tracks are designed and where they palace corner workers. I realize that nothing short of being in another zipcode from a track is really "safe" but to me that looks like you are putting the corner workers in harms way....

As a flagging and communication worker, our #1 name-sake goal is to communicate with the drivers and with race control. We can't do that if we aren't in line with where drivers are looking as they constantly scan and look ahead through turns.

At least there's plenty of runoff area and a lot of tires to absorb the impact! Those workers had about a second to realize what was happening and to run, which is better than some tracks!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/8/13 6:09 p.m.

I agree with dean1484 about corner worker placement. That's the first thing I thought about when I watched it. It's directly in a spin path. I see this a lot at autocrosses as well. To me it's a real safety concern, and one that many course designers seem to not have much knowledge in the physics involved.

I remember one year at Road Atlanta we ended up on top of the tire wall at the bottom of the hill past the bridge. Besides a little bit of damage on the front, the car was remarkably unmarked. It pirouetted a few times before it landed on top of the tires on it's wheels.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/8/13 6:14 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
mndsm wrote: Props to the orange car for TOTALLY sticking the landing.
This. But what the hell was going on? Any idea of the cause?
two cars in different classes (fairly large difference in speed) ...the faster one wanted to get past so he wouldn't have to follow the slower up the single line up-hill esses ... the slower was running his race and didn't just automatically give way to the faster car .... contact ensued

Ah. THIS explains the difference in the initial difference reaction of each involved vehicle.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/13 6:49 p.m.

That looked a lot worse than I really think it was. Yeah it was a little close to the action but in the end it all looked fine.

On a side note, Good to see Ben and Damian hitting their stride in GTC with 2 wins in a row. Couldn't happen to 2 nicer guys. I really enjoyed talking with them for a while at COTA.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
10/8/13 10:12 p.m.

While we're dissecting the corner workers' movements, might be good to point out the quick action of the corner worker on the left. He is waving yellow before either car gets off track.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/8/13 10:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I hate to say it but is that really a safe place to put corner workers?

Yeah, it is actually. That is a fast section of track and they have a fortress in front of them. This video is a fairly close approximation of a worst case at that point on the track... and no one was in danger except the cameraman - who placed himself further up beyond the flag station.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/8/13 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

That was good example of an experienced flagger at work. He/she has probably seen that situation played out at that corner more than a few times.

Also, notice that the flagger in the attacked station was holding a furled blue flag and the yellows can be seen on the floor in the overhead shot.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
10/9/13 8:02 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: White clothing and a radio? Though not long sleeves, which I thought was a requirement, though I could be wrong.

I thought long sleeves and long pants were a requirement too. When I went through corner worker training (which I never used), I was told that you had to wear white or orange long sleeves and pants, and it had to be cotton or, preferably, fireproof. The ideal was a fireproof suit like a pit crewman would wear.

kylini
kylini New Reader
10/9/13 8:33 a.m.
scardeal wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: White clothing and a radio? Though not long sleeves, which I thought was a requirement, though I could be wrong.
I thought long sleeves and long pants were a requirement too. When I went through corner worker training (which I never used), I was told that you had to wear white or orange long sleeves and pants, and it had to be cotton or, preferably, fireproof. The ideal was a fireproof suit like a pit crewman would wear.

It depends on the region/organization hosting and the caliber of the event, but in general, anything white goes. While long sleeves are encouraged, I've seen very experienced workers in as little as a tank top and as much as a fire suit. If you show up to most events in jeans and a not red/yellow shirt, you'll probably get stuck on a corner.

Also, they might not be paid for that event (though ALMS is probably on top of it). I know I volunteered for a Rolex Grand Am, which definitely changed the dynamic.

On a random note, I have learned to not wear whites with a hunter blaze cap. Apparently, it sticks out like a sore thumb and drivers look at me instead of the flags!

scardeal
scardeal Dork
10/11/13 8:10 a.m.

BTW, when my wife saw the crash, she actually said, "Okay, you can get a Porsche."

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/11/13 8:18 a.m.
scardeal wrote: BTW, when my wife saw the crash, she actually said, "Okay, you can get a Porsche."

Make sure it's a factory cup car. You don't want to waste an opportunity like that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G826xL86ma6SrpkBnQ7CrF2fEzAl6hn5A9GKhVYumfNugkRigwjxcYUAlb2k8WrF