irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/1/10 6:00 p.m.

on other one:

spelling the word "peeve" incorrectly

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
12/1/10 6:21 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Where did the pillarless coupes go? Why can't someone make a modern 2wd 1/2 ton pickup which is both durable and gets 30mph. My toyota will do 27mpg all day and there basically isn't a replacement out there. I'm hoping the diesel mahindra pickup will show up by the next time I need a new truck. My toyota will then get its final contract with either a gardener or a carboard harvester.

Where did all the coupes go, period?

My Canyon gets pretty solid MPG. I can get 35 imperial / 8L/100 km

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/1/10 7:10 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
irish44j wrote: on other one: spelling the word "peeve" incorrectly
spelling the word "one" incorrectly

hey, I spelled it correctly one of the two times

pwnd. stupid sticking keyboard.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
12/1/10 7:28 p.m.

Brake rotors that are too thin to be turned.

HID headlights. I hate when a oncoming car has these and blinds the hell out of me.

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
12/1/10 7:31 p.m.

Having to press the clutch pedal down to start the car. This makes the clutch pedal throw too long and if the switch dies then you can't start the car.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/1/10 7:55 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: For me, it's steering-by-wire. On my Speed3 the steering is accurate, but it feels rather numb. On more pedestrian cars, it can suffer from lag and be sloppy and inaccurate. In those cases almost like playing a racing game with a cheap-ass steering wheel set-up- it takes your inputs as mere suggestions instead of an imperative.

i'll talk about this and DBW throttle in the same post, the dbw throttle on my 07 ms3 was nearly instantly responsive, but you couldn't tell it by looking at the tach. it wasn't until i put a boost gauge in that i could see that the throttle was responding with no noticeable lag, it was the engine that was sluggish to respond, presumably due to the heavy flywheel.

on the first gen ms3s (the non-smiley faced ones), the power steering was always engine driven hydraulic, even when the regular 3 went to electrohydraulic power steering. what a lot of companies have done with the engine driven PS is variable assist, which can make the steering overly heavy during quick inputs at slow engine speeds.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
12/1/10 8:53 p.m.
irish44j wrote: also.. START BUTTONS. Advertised on half of new cars these days as a really cool feature. News flash: button start has been on cars pretty much since the electric starter was invented. You're not special because you have one in your Hyundai/Lexus/whatever. Because inserting the key and turning it is just SUCH a hassle......

HA! In my Mini, I have to turn a key AND press a starter button.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
12/1/10 9:02 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Door locks at speed is to keep the door from flying open to avoid you pushing your exwife out the passenger side while traveling 100mph. But seriously, it's the perceived safety that in a crash the door won't automatically fly open. But with the way the vehicles are made today, if the power gets shutoff, the door won't open because the lock is engaged. Then you get some slowass responder waiting on the jaws and you end up dying there waiting for them because they can't open the damn door. Good catch22 to be in, huh. Brian

OOOH! I berkleying HATE auto locks. Look, car, if I wan't the doors locked, I'll lock them. Don't do this for me. I suppose if I had a car with them, I'd get used to them. I can't count how many times I've walked around to the passenger door of the work truck, only to find it locked. So I trot back to the other side to hit the lock button. Berkley that!

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
12/1/10 9:18 p.m.

Hydraulic brakes and foot operated throttles....

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/1/10 9:33 p.m.
Marty! wrote: HID headlights. I hate when a oncoming car has these and blinds the hell out of me.

I don't think it's the lights themselves, rather that they are not aimed correctly, esp. if they are aftermarket HIDs mounted on a car that was never available with them. I don't get blinded by Acuras or Infinitis with them, but I definitely get blinded when they are installed in some crapcan Honda.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/10 10:11 p.m.

TCS that can't be turned all the way off, and of course that damn clutch interlock. not only is it standard on all cars now, in the state of Virginia it is mandatory. other than that, I'd have to say my biggest pet peeve is when an interesting car is offered in either FWD or AWD, and a manual is available on the FWD version, but if you want AWD you have to suffer with a CVT or a regular automatic. news flash, if I want AWD in my interestingly sporty little car, chances are I MIGHT want to be able to row my own gears, and the fact that you are denying me that ability makes me deny you a sale

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/1/10 10:40 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
Marty! wrote: HID headlights. I hate when a oncoming car has these and blinds the hell out of me.
I don't think it's the lights themselves, rather that they are not aimed correctly, esp. if they are aftermarket HIDs mounted on a car that was never available with them. I don't get blinded by Acuras or Infinitis with them, but I definitely get blinded when they are installed in some crapcan Honda.

+1

i love HIDs when they're properly matched to the housing and lens. makes a world of difference over the yellow looking halogens

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
12/1/10 11:12 p.m.

I'd like to see more performance oriented cars (ms3, civic si, gti) available with no sunroof, crank windows and no sat/nav. Also, i'd like to see some cars with manuals available with 6 speeds instead of 5. An extra cruising gear to keep the rpms down would be nice..

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
12/1/10 11:45 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: And another thing... I think all cars and trucks should have a manual transmission option. And furthermore, I believe all new drivers should be required by law to have a car with a manual transmission. Driving a car with a stick forces you to pay more attention to the car, the road, and your surroundings. And it's hard to juggle a cell phone, a cheeseburger, a newspaper, a latte, make-up, etc. when you are forced to actually DRIVE the car.

I don't think we should all be forced to take the drivers test in a manual car, but it should be something everyone understands. I took my test in an automatic car because it was less stressful and I've been driving manuals ever since.

Also not a fan of the high belt lines, hoods, trunks, etc. The hood of a new mitsu evo is above my hip.

oldtin wrote:
iceracer wrote: Some one mentioned their tire pressure light that won't go out Nov.-March. That is exactly the purpose. Tires lose pressure as it gets colder. Get a tire pressure gauge. DUH.
I've got six guages laying around - and diligently check/fill. Doesn't matter - light stays on through winter.

Check your owners manual for a reset procedure. My moms 02' regal has a tire pressure monitor that lit up a few days ago, aired up all of the tires and the light went away and reappeared a day later. Some sequence of fuse pulling and key moving reset everything for winter.

pimpm3
pimpm3 New Reader
12/2/10 12:44 a.m.

Lack of "Real" manual transmissions. My friend who recently bought a 4 door M3 with a 6-speed. Had to get it out of Arizona. He lives in Miami and none of the local dealers had any that were not SMG. They all looked at him like he had three heads "why don't you want the SMG it is faster...."

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
12/2/10 1:51 a.m.

OEM batteries that look like they could barely power my cell phone.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/10 2:03 a.m.

I miss having a tiller to control direction, now any commoner can become a motorist.

Big ego
Big ego SuperDork
12/2/10 6:13 a.m.

tires with air in them.

Solid tires never went flat.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/2/10 6:44 a.m.
Big ego wrote: tires with air in them. Solid tires never went flat.

+.707

Our fork truck has never had a flat tire. I think air manufacturers have conspired with tire mfgs to make their "air" product manditory. It probably has something to do with planned obsolescence or suffrage.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/10 7:37 a.m.

i have pretty much decided to never drive anything newer than the late 90's unless i can ever afford a c6 zr1 or z06.

EVERYTHING about new cars pisses me off. i think the ram trucks get an inch or two taller every year. who decided people need a base 2wd v6 work truck that has 20" chrome rims and an 8" lift from the factory?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
12/2/10 7:47 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: But seriously, it's the perceived safety that in a crash the door won't automatically fly open.

Perceived safety =\ actual safety. Unintended consequences, etc.

I tend to lock my doors when driving, and don't mind a master lock/unlock button so I don't have to reach the back doors. But I do mind the computer or whatever overriding my input. Like when I have the doors locked, then park, and it automatically unlocks all the doors. Depending on the neighborhood and time of day, that's not the best strategy.

7pilot
7pilot Reader
12/2/10 7:54 a.m.

Weight. The inertia of a vehicle that weighs over 3000lbs irritates me, in an almost irrational way.

m

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/2/10 8:04 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I"m gonna go with..... CVT

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh - look at me I'm driving a motorboat - waaaaaaaahhhhh

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/10 8:06 a.m.

Without question: TPMS.

It also annoys me that Infinity SUV's and the tail lights from Chevy Trailblazers trigger false laser alarms on my Valentine 1.

Raze
Raze Dork
12/2/10 8:43 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Big ego wrote: tires with air in them. Solid tires never went flat.
+.707 Our fork truck has never had a flat tire. I think air manufacturers have conspired with tire mfgs to make their "air" product manditory. It probably has something to do with planned obsolescence or suffrage.

AWESOME RESPONSE!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
khvjDk8Zgl95cKMV7SsSnlOhpL7CFDrXFMS4TaBfrdDZBJus2hK3DR7nmgFkwI2a