Neckromacr
Neckromacr Reader
4/19/13 6:59 p.m.

I got one of those cheapy Amazon.com Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth OBD adapters. I see it draws constant power, is it a bad thing to leave it pulled in constantly? Kind of a pain to pull after each drive, and reconnect on every new start up, but I also don't want to screw something up.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
4/19/13 7:05 p.m.

It's probably just a minor draw. LEDs don't draw much amperage, but constantly looking for a bluetooth connection might be a different story. I would do a parasitic draw test with it hooked up to see how much. Anything below 50 mA won't cause any significant drains.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
4/19/13 9:03 p.m.

I leave mine plugged in 100% of the time - but that's a daily driver. For a Sunday car, I don't think I'd leave it plugged in.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
4/19/13 9:09 p.m.

I left mine plugged in nearly the entire winter. I started to wonder where I had left it and then realized it was in the OBD port from when I reset it .

Neckromacr
Neckromacr Reader
4/19/13 10:56 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I leave mine plugged in 100% of the time - but that's a daily driver. For a Sunday car, I don't think I'd leave it plugged in.

Thanks, mine is my daily too. I'll probably do a draw test to be sure.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
4/20/13 11:01 a.m.

I bought an eBay cheapy from China or someplace exotic, and leave it plugged in 24/7. No issues.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/13 6:08 p.m.

+1 negligible draw, don't worry about it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ieg5HteZtrd6NU9bXfah8Bs2jYlC3sPrQQUSUr3yrNr06XRxZjqIstoKjnjydCiD