1 2
TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/4/09 9:58 p.m.

I couldn't pass up a '75 2002 today and it is now in my driveway. No pics yet. Got a box of parts including 3 webers, a fuel pump, an alternator, and I'm not sure what else.

It has 15" BBS wheels that I think came from a 3 series, it has a weber carb, drives well. I read through some online buyers guides and crawled around a neighbors 2002 before I went to look at this one - it is not perfect, but other than joining the BMW club what else do I need to know and what types of things should I do to the car. The PO had it about 18 months, the guy before that had it 20 years.

Thanks, T.J.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
8/4/09 10:10 p.m.

Go here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/

I just picked up my fourth 02 about three weeks ago.

As with all 2002s, rust is your worst enemy.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
8/5/09 2:28 a.m.

They rust a little more slowly compared to their compatriots (Datsun 510/Alfa GTV), but since they're all 35-40 years old, the tinworm's getting a little agressive these days.

Smoke when you lift means oil/valve seals in the head are dead. And the only reason people don't make jokes about German wiring is because the English actually attempted to build cars back then.

The 2002 is so beloved that there's actually a lot of reproduction interior/exterior trim for them, including window/door seals, etc.

Vibration in the driveline ususally means the driveshaft quibo is fried.

http://www.02restoration.com/restoration-tips/transmission/guibo-replacement/

The national BMW club is among the best marque clubs in the country.

http://www.bmwcca.org/

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/5/09 5:38 a.m.

Toss the stock shifter for an aftermarket unit (the linkage from the trans to the actual shift lever, I mean). Improves feel tremendously.

If you're repainting the car, it's a simple piece of steel in the taillamp opening to retrofit the round taillamps.

The dash pads are always cracked. Learn to just live with it.

Stahl made the best headers for these cars. I think they're out of production but if you can find a set, buy 'em.

These are great cars. Stock they are kind of ho-hum by today's standards, but modified they turn into a really fun package. Hardly anybody keeps theirs stock, particularly a square taillamp car, so modify at will. It won't hurt the value, IMO. Ditch the bumpers if your local laws allow it.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
8/5/09 5:59 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The dash pads are always cracked. Learn to just live with it. Stahl made the best headers for these cars. I think they're out of production but if you can find a set, buy 'em.

There ARE some intact dash pads out there! Just not installed in a running car!

Stahl is still making stuff. They are on Mt Rose Ave in York a few blocks off I-83. I would bet they could find the 2002 templates. If someone wants I'll investigate. (They made a 325 header for me a few yrs ago...)

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
8/5/09 6:29 a.m.

Places to inspect are rear subframe monuts and shock towers.

Early units had nice bumpers later units had Fugly alum C chanell with huge acorian rubber ends ick...

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/09 6:39 a.m.

Add M40/M42 and shake vigorously.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/5/09 7:31 a.m.

heres a 2002 with a nice interior, some go fast parts and molded fender flares, $750 in Madison WI (not mine)

02Pilot
02Pilot New Reader
8/5/09 8:03 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Toss the stock shifter for an aftermarket unit (the linkage from the trans to the actual shift lever, I mean). Improves feel tremendously. If you're repainting the car, it's a simple piece of steel in the taillamp opening to retrofit the round taillamps. The dash pads are always cracked. Learn to just live with it. Stahl made the best headers for these cars. I think they're out of production but if you can find a set, buy 'em. These are great cars. Stock they are kind of ho-hum by today's standards, but modified they turn into a really fun package. Hardly anybody keeps theirs stock, particularly a square taillamp car, so modify at will. It won't hurt the value, IMO. Ditch the bumpers if your local laws allow it.

Using an OE BMW shifter from a Z3 is a great upgrade, and a lot cheaper than an aftermarket unit.

If you want round lights, you also need to modify or replace the quarter panels.

My dash is fine, but most are cracked. Vinylex and shade are your friends. The early two- and three-piece dashes are even more crack-prone.

I disagree on the Stahl. They are buzzy and very prone to cracking. Mine went at the head on #1 primary, and later at the collector flange. Supersprint is much superior IMHO, or you can use a factory tii exhaust manifold, which is excellent.

Bilsteins, springs, big sway bars, and big brakes are easy, relatively cheap, and make a world of difference.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/09 8:06 a.m.

This 2002 was posted here not long ago and still makes me want one.

Track 2002 for sale

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/5/09 8:27 a.m.

^^^ - very pretty

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/09 8:56 a.m.
JmfnB wrote: Add M40/M42 and shake vigorously.

I agree on the M42... but why would he want the SOHC M40 when the engine his car can make more power?

M42/44 with Downing Atlanta Supercharger and shake vigorously. I even think Per mentioned that it would make a good alternative to the S15 swaps so many people do

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/5/09 9:19 a.m.

Someones gotta say it: LSx :) Dunno how it would fit, but thats what a torch and welder are for

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/09 9:27 a.m.

All I know is that my wife wants one, and I am OK with that!

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/5/09 9:45 a.m.

Thanks for the info. I've got the giant bumpers and like the look of bumperless '02's so I might go that route. No vehicle inspections here in AL, but not sure if bumpers are required.

The shifter has a decent feel although it is not precise like my miata. I will look into the Z3 shifter. I think I might want to go back to factory sized wheels, not sure. The tires on the car have plenty of tread but look a little dry rotted.

It would be a bit sacreligious, but I keep thinking if I could get a deal on a Honda F20C that would be a scream in this car.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/5/09 12:39 p.m.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
8/5/09 5:19 p.m.
TJ wrote: It would be a bit sacreligious, but I keep thinking if I could get a deal on a Honda F20C that would be a scream in this car.

Yeah, my 2002 has a BMW m20 inline six, swapped in along with the fuel injection. After living with this setup now for my first few weeks of ownership, I have to say it is in all respects (drivability, performance, and even economy) superior to the M10 with a down-draft carb. It doesn't affect handling adversely either. Quite the contrary, this particular car is the best handling 2002 I've owned.

mad_machine
8/6/09 2:31 a.m.

Most things are superior in driveability to a carb. Having been there and done that.. I will NOT go back to carbs

friedgreencorrado
8/6/09 2:49 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: This 2002 was posted here not long ago and still makes me want one. Track 2002 for sale

That's what I wanted any of mine to look like when they grew up..I just didn't have the money at the time.

Still a blast to drive, tho. As much as I smile when thinking of my gray market 6cyl E21 and the wonderful old worn-out E3 I had in college..I have to admit that my 2002s were the best of the bunch. I'll have another one one day. Twenty-five years ahead of their time-when they were introduced about 40 years ago.

That being said..

There is no modern solution for climate control updates. IIRC, there was no factory air conditioning option-they were all dealer add-ons. The heater core is relatively small, and the fan is slow. The heat's like an old German woman breathing on your legs..it's not very hot, and it smells funny.

Everything mechanical can, and by now has been done. Was it madmachine that said he had one with the M20 6cyl transplanted? Man, I'd sure like to drive that one!!

friedgreencorrado
8/6/09 2:52 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Toss the stock shifter for an aftermarket unit (the linkage from the trans to the actual shift lever, I mean). Improves feel tremendously. If you're repainting the car, it's a simple piece of steel in the taillamp opening to retrofit the round taillamps. The dash pads are always cracked. Learn to just live with it. Stahl made the best headers for these cars. I think they're out of production but if you can find a set, buy 'em. These are great cars. Stock they are kind of ho-hum by today's standards, but modified they turn into a really fun package. Hardly anybody keeps theirs stock, particularly a square taillamp car, so modify at will. It won't hurt the value, IMO. Ditch the bumpers if your local laws allow it.

x2. One of the few "antique" cars that is actually worth more modified than stock.

mad_machine
8/6/09 4:04 a.m.

nope.. not me.. JohnW said it. I am VERY happy with my four cylinder cars

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/6/09 5:05 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: If you want round lights, you also need to modify or replace the quarter panels.

Um, no you don't. I should know...I've done this.

The shell is a 1975, I think. You can tell by the rear body panel. The quarter has the half moon cut for the round lamp. All you need to do is make a plate for the rear panel that completes the circle and weld it in. Even a pathetic body guy like me can make it look good. I'm surprised more people don't do it. I do remember the taillamp wiring was a head scratcher though.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/6/09 5:42 a.m.

These threads kill me.

jaxed.com pulled this up: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1274583933.html

probably nastier than I'd want--but cool color--under that crappy primer.

M030
M030 Reader
8/6/09 7:46 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: Most things are superior in driveability to a carb.

I've just found a really solid 2002 body shell (no engine/trans/interior - but also no rust) that I plan to transplant my E21 320i drivetrain into. I was planning on using Webers, but would keeping the CIS from the 320i be a better idea?

mad_machine
8/6/09 10:22 a.m.

I would keep the intake parts.. but megasquirt it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTITKKKHCUatfmnKWSdaiTVjCXNZAfX4luuhkjpBaQUi9CIkQ6991b4FodHUgk4G