PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 1:05 p.m.

So I‘m in the middle of replacing the alternator on my 1995 BMW 325ti.

The upper bolt came out fine. But the lower bolt did not budge at all, even after spraying generous amounts of PB Blaster onto the threads that are sticking out on the end.

So I finally stripped the bolt head angryangryangry Now what???

Would a bolt extractor socket work?

Unfortunately there is no space in front of the alternator  to get an impact wrench onto the bolt. 

Any ideas?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 1:11 p.m.

Impact guns are MORE likely to round bolts, not less.  Whenever you have a tight/stuck/galled fastener, put away the power tools and use a ratchet, with big long swings if possible.  This will maximize your chance of success.  Power tools work with small little bites of torque, which don't do jack for stuck bolts except gall them harder.

Hammer the next size smaller socket on it (may be a SAE size rather than metric) and use the biggest breaker bar you can find.

You're probably going to have to pull the radiator for access.  You may end up having to remove the oil filter housing, but I don't think this may be very possible with the alternator still attached.

PS - I only replied to this because best username evar

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/19 2:14 p.m.

Very worst case scenario you can remove the front clip. It takes me no time to do it on my e36 and it provides all the access you would ever need.

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 2:40 p.m.

Thanks guys for the tips!

There‘s just no space to get a breaker bar in there, or any tool that can provide leverage angry

Looks like I‘ll have to follow Slippery‘s suggestion to remove the front clip.

But not right now, I‘m too made at this little German shirtbox !!!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/17/19 4:36 p.m.

Can you get a pair of vice grips on the bolt head??

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 4:40 p.m.

Nopesad

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/17/19 5:33 p.m.

Did you round it off with a 12-point or a 6-point?

I’d guess a 12- so try a 6-point.  And try a sae socket. It might fit better.  

As you mentioned, a biting bolt extractor socket would be a good next step after a 6-point fails.  

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 6:20 p.m.

I rounded it off with a 12 point 16mm socket. Now there are two big burrs on the bolt head and I can’t get a socket on it. I guess I have to remove the front end to get better access to the bolt. This sucks angry

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
8/17/19 6:39 p.m.

Use 5/8ths 6 point socket. Try tighten it just a bit then loosen.

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 6:56 p.m.

Hmmh, that‘s worth a try I guess. But 5/8 is smaller than 16mm and due to the burrs I can‘t even get a 16mm socket on 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
8/17/19 7:02 p.m.

Got a welder? If so, weld a big nut on the end and try to crank it off. The heat from the welding often helps break the bolt loose.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 7:20 p.m.

In reply to PowerKraut :

That is what hammers are for.  Yes, there's no room, fortunately you can make room.

I am sure you are painfully aware of this now, but 12 point sockets should only ever be used on 12 point fasteners.

PowerKraut
PowerKraut New Reader
8/17/19 7:49 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to PowerKraut :

That is what hammers are for.  Yes, there's no room, fortunately you can make room.

I am sure you are painfully aware of this now, but 12 point sockets should only ever be used on 12 point fasteners.

Yes, I know now sad As old as I am, I‘m not too old to learn new things wink

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
8/17/19 10:59 p.m.
PowerKraut said:

Would a bolt extractor socket work?

Yes but if you don’t use the right size and do it right you can do more harm than good 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
8/18/19 8:17 a.m.

I would, by any means possible, start with a good, impact-quality 6-point 16mm socket. 

I bet it works. 

While that bolt is stuck, I bet your problem was that 12-point and more-so if it was a cheaper one. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HzVCZUHgSa8fSUDOvL9nFIyMtAQ2TmJq7QYLpKz3sUtijV6WIGchaGTU7pylLfPH