1 2
emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
10/29/09 5:35 p.m.

Folks,

Did anyone hear what our buddy Boilermaker Bob said about Juan Pablo?

Was Griese's fine/suspension PC BS or probably deserved?

Rog

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/29/09 5:38 p.m.

He said he was eating berkeleying tacos...i eat tacos all the time. Does that make me racist?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/29/09 6:16 p.m.

Maroon92 took along time to comment, he was probably out eating a taco.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/29/09 7:00 p.m.

I think he should be fined, but more for making a terrible, stupid joke than being a racist.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/09 7:05 p.m.

a fine/suspension is uncalled for

i think it's hilarious. if someone said i was out drinking guinness or eating pierogies i wouldnt be offended.

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
10/29/09 7:55 p.m.

Pure PC BS

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
10/29/09 7:57 p.m.

I think Juan's response was the best. He said he'd never heard of Bob Griese.

If you really want to piss off a media person just imply that they aren't a household name.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
10/29/09 8:25 p.m.

I don't know who that is, either.

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
10/29/09 8:37 p.m.

Considering Griese's career/accomplishments before ESPN, not knowing who he is is hardly a negative reflection on him.....

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
10/30/09 1:46 a.m.

Being a 50% Mexican myself I found it somewhat funny but also in bad taste. I'm not PC by any means but would this even be a discussion if Juan was black and Bobbo said he was out getting fried chicken?

How is this any different than Fuzzy Zoellers comments after Tiger won his first masters?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 2:21 a.m.

If nothing else he should be suspended because it was not creative or funny, just dumb. Venturing further off topic and color, when he first came to Nascar one of the local shows was asking opinions about would he do well and fit in. A caller said he's not much different than us. Replace trunk full of shine with trunk full of coke and you"ll drive the same way. That's easier to get away with on account of Columbians are more relateted to nose candy than tacos.

Boosh
Boosh New Reader
10/30/09 6:37 a.m.

Would Griese been in trouble if he would have said that Michael Schumacher was eating bratwurst , Jenson Button was eating fish and chips, or Jarno Trulli was eating pasta? I bet not. This is BS.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 6:51 a.m.
Boosh wrote: Would Griese been in trouble if he would have said that Michael Schumacher was eating bratwurst , Jenson Button was eating fish and chips, or Jarno Trulli was eating pasta? I bet not. This is BS.

Herein lies the rub, if a person of non-white race says I am a burger eating lard-o it is not racist but if I refer to a regional food it IS.

ESPN is covering their assets.

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
10/30/09 7:08 a.m.

I heard JPM's comment was along the lines of "that's okay. I like tacos." He wasn't offended. Who are the pantywaists who are offended?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/30/09 8:03 a.m.
Boosh wrote: Would Griese been in trouble if he would have said that Michael Schumacher was eating bratwurst , Jenson Button was eating fish and chips, or Jarno Trulli was eating pasta? I bet not. This is BS.

Bob Griese does not know who those people are.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/30/09 8:06 a.m.

I'd have less of an issue with this if Montoya was Mexican, where tacos are plentiful and delicious. But he's not, he's Colombian. If Greise had said "He's probably out eating some fried plantains and various meats cooked over an open pit fire." it would have been more appropriate, and almost funny.

Instead, he chose the "All brown people are Mexicans" route and looked like a douche in the process.

jg

John Brown
10/30/09 8:20 a.m.
Kramer wrote: I heard JPM's comment was along the lines of "that's okay. I like tacos." He wasn't offended. Who are the pantywaists who are offended?

Bob's boss obviously was ;)

John Brown
10/30/09 8:21 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'd have less of an issue with this if Montoya was Mexican, where tacos are plentiful and delicious. But he's not, he's Colombian. If Greise had said "He's probably out eating some fried plantains and various meats cooked over an open pit fire." it would have been more appropriate, and almost funny. Instead, he chose the "All brown people are Mexicans" route and looked like a douche in the process. jg

If he would have said he's making a run for Pablo it would have been both funnier and more offensive.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/09 8:27 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Instead, he chose the "All brown people are Mexicans" route and looked like a douche in the process. jg
If he would have said he's making a run for Pablo it would have been both funnier and more offensive.

they're not?

a reference to the coke-filled condom in his stomach and the laxatives required to pass it would've been funnier still.

Sarah Beltrami
Sarah Beltrami Events Coordinator
10/30/09 9:09 a.m.

How about all the media references to Tony Stewart out eating a Whopper?

No fines there or apologies...

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
10/30/09 9:32 a.m.

That's because Tony gets paid to eat Whoppers.

Is this anything like the Jets 1/4 back eating a hot dog ? Oh wait, he actually did it.

splitime
splitime Reader
10/30/09 9:39 a.m.

So who is this Bob guy?

John Brown
10/30/09 9:44 a.m.

In a related story...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/10/30/navarette.food.racism/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
10/30/09 9:44 a.m.
splitime wrote: So who is this Bob guy?

Hes a douche

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
10/30/09 10:04 a.m.
GlennS wrote:
splitime wrote: So who is this Bob guy?
Hes a douche

But why was an ex-NFL QB talking about a NASCAR driver? ESPN have a FB player calling a race? I missed the whole thing although I've heard the fallout.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syiIF9ZG4kJwqtXRs8cXooMQimIkHvSwWiWRw8V1GlVNNYJNax96tn95HUzm5new