1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/17/22 12:30 p.m.
feature_image

Electric cars aren’t really known for their exhaust notes–but what if they could be?

Borla Exhaust is working on a system called “Active Performance Sound,” which is sort of like the electric car version of a bolt-on exhaust:

The Real Power of Sound

The sound of a powertrain adds a cherished layer of sensory awareness to driving enthusiasts, informing them …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/17/22 12:33 p.m.

Somewhat related, The Renault R-Sound system:

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/17/22 12:34 p.m.

I had a stick horsey when I was a kid. We just made the noises ourselves. Didn't cost anywhere near as much, and did the same thing. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/22 12:37 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Some of us still make those sounds while driving. (And if Jacky Ickx can do it, why can't the rest of us?)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/17/22 12:37 p.m.

Maybe this is a hot take, but I have zero issues with this or any other generated sound that adds to the driving experience. Honestly I just wish it was more open-source so users could define their own sound profiles. Who wouldn't want want a Camaro that didn't just sound like "Hot for Teacher" but actually PLAYED "Hot for Teacher."? Why not make your fart-can Honda actually make fart noises? Why can't we have motorcycles that go "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" like Fonzie when we rev them?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/17/22 12:46 p.m.

The turn signal sound is fake.  Why we hating on exhaust?  Maybe fake tire squealing noise?  

Sound like JC Whitney needs to step up.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/17/22 12:49 p.m.

Time for my Borla joke:

"Hey, that's an interesting sounding car you have, did you modify it?"

"Why yes, it's a Borla system, they say it's all about giving the car an attitude"

"Oh, is A-hole what you where shooting for?"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 12:56 p.m.

It doesn't sound bad but it doesn't quite sound like any Mustang V8 I've ever heard either. Way better than the suped-up vacuum cleaner noises made by the Dodge pneumatic system at least.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/17/22 12:56 p.m.

Isn't this kinda like vegans trying to make all their stuff taste like meat?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/17/22 12:58 p.m.

Live look in Borla board room:

I cannot bring myself to celebrate concepts that were previewed in bad Kevin James movies a decade ago.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 1:06 p.m.

I wouldn't spend the money on it, but I will say it sounds much better than this...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/17/22 1:10 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Maybe this is a hot take, but I have zero issues with this or any other generated sound that adds to the driving experience. Honestly I just wish it was more open-source so users could define their own sound profiles. Who wouldn't want want a Camaro that didn't just sound like "Hot for Teacher" but actually PLAYED "Hot for Teacher."? Why not make your fart-can Honda actually make fart noises? Why can't we have motorcycles that go "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" like Fonzie when we rev them?

I want it to play "Too soon Jr." when I pass another car and "Monica!!!!" when a car passes me.

But in all seriousness, making noise for the sake of making noise seems dumb.  One of the things I love about EVs is that they are relatively quiet compared to ICE counterparts.  I can't wait for the day the ear-bleeding cars of CSP & Kart classes are just whisper quiet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/22 1:11 p.m.

Wonder what baseball cards they use?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/22 1:31 p.m.

Sorta related.

The post-Ian cleanup had me spending more time than usual at the curb. Honestly, the Teslas don't sound any louder/quieter than the other cars in our neighborhood at 25-ish mph.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/17/22 1:35 p.m.

At 25mph steady state its mostly tirenoise, except for the not-so-occasional shiny happy person in a truck or loud car that wants to make noise for the sake of noise.  See Aircooled's comment earlier.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
10/17/22 1:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Some of us still make those sounds while driving. (And if Jacky Ickx can do it, why can't the rest of us?)

Or Cale Yarborough

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=search&v=480454625898911&external_log_id=983575f1-563b-48ab-8b12-3dee8a1e06a9&q=Cale%20Yarborough%20engine%20noise

AndyHess
AndyHess New Reader
10/17/22 1:56 p.m.

Wow.  I used to clip baseball cards to my bike so when I rode, the spokes rubbing against the card made my bike sound like a motorcycle. . . if you ear-squinted.  But I never really thought my bicycle was a motorcycle.  Just pretend.  Do I really want to pretend with a $$$ vehicle?  Do I really want my SUV Mach E for my sports/muscle car?  Since I'm inside the car when driving, do I really care what people outside think of my cars fake sound?  Will Borla sell me a kit to make my LS3 (With Kooks headers, Kooks 49 state cat and Borla cat back exhaust) sound like an EV?  My head hurts.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/17/22 2:19 p.m.
triumph7 said:

Isn't this kinda like vegans trying to make all their stuff taste like meat?

I'll remember that one!

I know of exactly zero kale flavored steaks on the market...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/17/22 2:22 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

While there is a lot to be said for keeping a young and imaginative attitude, paying for them is a bit far for me. laugh

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/17/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Some of remember when, and why, turn signals "clicked"

With no click, there needs to be an annunciation, so not truly fake. But kinda. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/22 3:09 p.m.

I think he only reason they click now is because we are accustomed to the sound and it would be strange without it. The flashing green indicator in the dash should be enough reminder to turn it off.

Because so many people use them anywhy....

And the sound still doesnt stop people from leaving them on when they do use them!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 3:31 p.m.

A little off topic but I want my GPS to be voiced by MR. T.    

"I pity the fool that don't take the next left"

laugh

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 3:33 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I think he only reason they click now is because we are accustomed to the sound and it would be strange without it. The flashing green indicator in the dash should be enough reminder to turn it off.

And the sound still doesnt stop people from leaving them on when they do use them!

I definitely appreciate the audible click, the green arrows aren't super bright and are relatively easy to miss blush

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/17/22 3:52 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I definitely appreciate the audible click, the green arrows aren't super bright and are relatively easy to miss blush

Yes and on certain cars without adjustable steering columns, they end up right behind the top of the wheel.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/17/22 5:20 p.m.

Borla wants to make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I just can't manage to get even minimally interested in, let alone excited by, completely synthesized sounds.

Gas, diesel, or EV, tuning of the natural sounds is for me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nVasuvh5E48Vy4kb3MmfzB2yBFx7PeYwcjQmAQk71Ufib90ugXqgfjzeHwRK63je