ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
10/7/11 2:52 p.m.

Okay, after just over 80k miles, it is time to replace the stock pads on the front of the Mustang. I know, that seems like huge mileage from one set of pads, but I swear they have been fine and are only now wearing out. The rotors still look great.

Anyway, this is my daily driver with occaisional autocrosses. NO open track / road race activity and if there were I would buy pads specifically for that. Having said all that I do drive very hard on a day-to-day basis.

So....I haven't been unhappy with the stock pads - no fade on autx or blasting through the mountains, good pedal feedback if a little soft but that's more from the rubber lines than the pads I'd guess. True factory pads - the same ones they ship with - are $145. I can get performance pads for less than that, but which ones do I need for my driving? I've heard all about race pads needing more heat to get the friction on, more dust, etc etc.....

What do you guys think? What have you used? like, dislike?

freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
10/7/11 3:44 p.m.

I've got Hawk HP+ on my Miata. They squeal, but not terribly bad, they are quite dusty though. On the plus side, they pull the car down to a stop quite effectively.

I haven't used them, but the HPS pad is more 'streetable' with less noise and dust.

If you've been happy with the OE pads, I'd just grab whatever the NAPA equivalent is and save some money.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
10/7/11 3:52 p.m.

I'll second the HP+ being a great pad. I ran them on my Mk1 GTI and I loved them. They do dust, and mine would squeal from 5mph until stopped unless they had some heat in them. Besides that though they were great. They had lots of bite even when the pad was cold and I never experienced any fade. I ran Red Stuff pads on my Jetta and like them too, but I like the HP+ more.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/7/11 4:00 p.m.

If the OE pads lasted that long and are good for you, I'd search around and see if you can find some cheaper from some online OE retailer. Sometimes OE pads are a very good balance across the board. NAPA/Autozone Pads are usually way biased toward cheap crap, performance pads are usually dusty, noisy, etc.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/7/11 5:07 p.m.

$145 for 80K worth of service, sounds like a good deal to me.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
10/7/11 6:12 p.m.

I like the Axxis Ultimates for street usage. Good feel. Dust isn't terrible but that's how they work. :) No noise - especially if you spray them with disc brake quiet.

I like Centric rotors if you are looking to replace those. The centers are coated and painted black so that they don't rust and look like crap. Well priced at Tire Rack too.

Don't like EBC Green or Hawk HPS. The HPS has terrible feel IMO.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
10/7/11 6:13 p.m.

Porterfield R4S!

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
10/7/11 6:53 p.m.

Axxis Ultimates seem to be doing ok for me now.

I miss my old Ferodo Street pads, they replaced them with the DS2500's which are much worse when cold, but very impressive once warmed. But I'd still prefer the older Street compound (DS2000 I would assume?)

I'll probably give into the hype and try Hawks next time though. Not sure if I'll go HP+ or HPS though.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/7/11 7:31 p.m.

running PBR/Axxis metal masters... good feel... do a real hard stop and it literally hurts my eyes... feels like they are going to jump outa my head... but they dust quite a bit and are noisy at low speed :-/...

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
10/8/11 2:05 p.m.
donalson wrote: running PBR/Axxis metal masters... good feel... do a real hard stop and it literally hurts my eyes... feels like they are going to jump outa my head... but they dust quite a bit and are noisy at low speed :-/...

How do the pads make your eyes dusty and noisy at low speed? sorry I'll go back to my cave now.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/8/11 3:01 p.m.

chut up and go play with your pork sword pork boy :)

HStockSolo
HStockSolo New Reader
10/8/11 5:54 p.m.

Another vote for the Metal Masters/XBG pads--more linear than HPS, about the same for dust, seem to fade less too. $50 for both axles on my 325i. I also like the Centric StopTech Street Performance pads I got for my Sienna. Those seem more like the HPS pads--a bit grabby, but half the price. I did like the HPS more than the Greenstuffs on my Saturns, but I doubt I'll buy either of those again.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
10/8/11 6:02 p.m.

Do Hawk pads have a way to identify them when used? I wonder if thats whats in my CRX.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/11 6:19 p.m.

I like Wagner Thermoquiet for "regular" drivers. Currently have Akebono Pro-Act on my Saturn. Basically no dust and good stopping power. See your local Carquest and ask for the 'gold' pads.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/11 6:23 p.m.

Porterfield R4S and Hawk HPS have always treated me well. R4S lasted about 40k miles, HPS at least that long -- they're still in the car at 42k and climbing.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/11 9:15 a.m.

I have a set of Akebono on the front of my DD, how do you pronounce that by the way. They seem to stop well and now my back wheels get dirtier than the fronts.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/11 10:40 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I have a set of Akebono on the front of my DD, how do you pronounce that by the way. They seem to stop well and now my back wheels get dirtier than the fronts.

AAH-kee-bo-no

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/11 10:41 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Thanks.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
10/11/11 11:10 a.m.
Jay_W wrote: Porterfield R4S!

Yes! I Love them! Way better than anything else I've ever used for combo street/autocross/track use. And very rotor friendly, which can be an issue if you are using expensive and non-machinable rotors.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/11/11 11:38 a.m.

Hawk HPS is my vote. I've had great luck with them as a performance street pad. I love the HP+ pad, but that is more made for Autox / Track / Street (in that order).

With something like an HPS you will get more noise and dust than stock, but not as bad as more aggressive pads.

I do not have experience with the Porterfields. I imagine they're pretty similar.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/11/11 11:57 a.m.

I've always liked my porterfields. They're a lot quieter than the Hawks I have on the Bronco, too, though I'm pretty sure that performance and heavy-duty truck pads are a very valid comparison.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
10/11/11 12:03 p.m.

I'll second the Hawk HPS for mostly street.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D38N6QkT5Ohnn148fO5rvHT1hFXCOxvb3hkjEbnrLqMSdYPGyIDQsLWD2KNx409k