smog7
smog7 Dork
5/31/09 9:30 p.m.

Out of all the auto part stores, napa, autozone, etc.. which sells the best blank rotors? I think I may go with brembo blanks for the front, and generic auto store blanks in the rear.. car is a 90 st185 celica all trac

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch New Reader
5/31/09 9:56 p.m.

i ROCK ME some duralast rotors on my civic...with cobalt xp3 pads. getting them HOT, and no problems.

used them for a lot of track days.. i have changed them a couple times. keep a backup set at track days, and you'll be fine.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/31/09 11:37 p.m.

Not sure if this was a freak occurrence but I had Autozone rotors rot out from the inside. The surface was all blown out. It looked like I'd been trying to stop on oatmeal. It quickly explained the wobbly brake pedal.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/1/09 12:59 a.m.

I know the miata brake rotors from napa and pep boys are just repackaged brembo blanks so maybe the same is for the celicas?

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
6/1/09 6:27 a.m.

Personally I prefer the blanks from Brembo ordered via Tire Rack. Everything I get from napa, pep boys, etc is all cheap Chinese crap.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
6/1/09 7:10 a.m.
smog7 wrote: Out of all the auto part stores, napa, autozone, etc.. which sells the best blank rotors? I think I may go with brembo blanks for the front, and generic auto store blanks in the rear.. car is a 90 st185 celica all trac

Duralast brand if you can get them for your car work fine. That being said, i'd spend the extra $10 or whatever and just get the Brembos all around from TR.

But if you MUST get something from an auto chain, Duralast is what i'd go with. I've run them on my 92 Celica GT a few times with no problems.

I THOUGHT i recognized your screen name.... It was kindof surreal. "Dude, i swear i moved my browser to GRM from alltrac.net"

Kramer
Kramer Reader
6/1/09 9:50 a.m.

Since no brake retailer makes every rotor they sell, your answer depends totally on the make/model and retailer. And a dozen other things that determine whose rotors are in what box that day. I've seen rotors for the same application that came from different manufacturers. And most stores carry two or more lines of rotors, adding to the confusion.

And just because they're Brembo doesn't mean they're any better than other rotors (even Chinese made).

smog7
smog7 Dork
6/1/09 7:18 p.m.

yeah I usually post more on alltrac.net

I'm going to see if I can get my current rotors turned down, if not then i'm just going to go with the brembo's in the front and some local crap for the rear..

smog7
smog7 Dork
6/1/09 7:26 p.m.

so how can you tell if your autozone, napa, etc rotors are repackaged brembo blanks?

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/1/09 9:53 p.m.

Good question.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/09 10:48 a.m.
smog7 wrote: so how can you tell if your autozone, napa, etc rotors are repackaged brembo blanks?

Because you read it on the internetz11!

Makako
Makako New Reader
10/5/09 10:57 a.m.

hit up racepages.com check that out might be useful.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/09 12:52 p.m.

just being in a brembo box doesn't make it a non-Chinese part. rear rotors for my '03 ody, brembos bought from TR, clearly labeled Made In China on the bright red box.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
10/5/09 8:51 p.m.

my first instructor ( a NASA Honda Challenge driver( civic )) said he just bought the cheapest cast iron rotors he could find and replaced them each race weekend.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qRagAdwXTpyzInqBu9qpWWvPsgR6J6oHoZBNgDGUeJP6prHDOTkrHDuXELB0xrHN