chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 7:09 a.m.

My E91 (pre-LCI) came with the bi-xenon adaptive headlights and my passenger is broken - need a new headlight assembly. Since I have the adaptive headlights there are very few aftermarket options that have anything resembling a decent review and the OEM replacements are $$$.  I've been looking into retrofitting halogen headlight assemblies and using Bimmerlabs to program out any error codes. What are everybody's thoughts on doing this? I like the light pattern now (with the exception of the passenger throwing light at the ground), will I notice a big difference downgrading? I'm also thinking if I go the halogen housing route I might be able to put HID's in there or get one of a million different aftermarket options. I don't know that much about headlights or tuning with stuff like Bimmerlabs but I need to fix this headlight. 

Thanks! 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
4/1/24 8:10 a.m.

E90 adaptive lights are one of their best features. I think I have a functional pass side. 

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

That would be sweet if you do and the price is right. 😁

junkyard

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 11:28 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not sure if I want to risk buying one that's broken and I don't know about it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If it wasn't such a delicate component I'd just order from car-part.com and be done with it... 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/24 12:45 p.m.

What part of the assembly is broken?

I would go junkyard as Angry pointed out and get a warranty. e90s are plentiful at my local yard.

You would regret going to halogen.

rothwem
rothwem Reader
4/1/24 12:58 p.m.
Slippery said:

I would go junkyard as Angry pointed out and get a warranty. e90s are plentiful at my local yard.

These have a little projector that swivels side to side and up and down with a little servo for each movement.  Sometimes you just get lucky and the servo "ball" pops out of the socket and you can put it back in, like this:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494479

But sometimes you're berkeleyed and the place that the servo mounts to breaks off--that's what happened to mine and I needed a new $600 housing--I swapped the bulbs/ballasts/control units over to the new one.  I hate to sound like a BMW owner, but just fix the headlights.  The Halogens suck and the adaptive headlights are awesome, so unless you're doing rallycross with the car or a ton of driving on gravel roads, I'd just fix it and move on.  

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I'm not sure what part, I asked my BMW guy when it was in the shop for a new suspension but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. 🤷🏻‍♂️

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 1:03 p.m.

In reply to rothwem :

Thank you, that's kind of the feedback I was looking for. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/24 2:20 p.m.
rothwem said:
Slippery said:

These have a little projector that swivels side to side and up and down with a little servo for each movement.  Sometimes you just get lucky and the servo "ball" pops out of the socket and you can put it back in, like this:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494479

But sometimes you're berkeleyed and the place that the servo mounts to breaks off--that's what happened to mine and I needed a new $600 housing--I swapped the bulbs/ballasts/control units over to the new one.  I hate to sound like a BMW owner, but just fix the headlights.  The Halogens suck and the adaptive headlights are awesome, so unless you're doing rallycross with the car or a ton of driving on gravel roads, I'd just fix it and move on.  

Yeah, I have a couple of BMWs with them and seen them break. Just wondering exactly what broke as sometimes you can fix them.

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
4/1/24 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I'm not sure. I'd like to know though. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LOBh44nQv0WU81e64TTzOx5IZa3rcygIA2iEJAm4VMxDlR8WiajGNpDdzhXTzFWb