mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/12 12:40 p.m.

Cayman S.. end of discussion. Mid-engined FTW

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/20/12 12:47 p.m.

Define "Used"

How much are we gonna be allowed to spend and what kind of miles are we looking to accept?

If I can get a used Cayman with 300 miles for 30k, I am all over it.

If I have to buy a 5 year old car with 90k on it and no warranty to use as the DD and pay 30k, No Sir, I don't like it at all.

Tricky to compare apples to oranges, hence the expression...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/12 12:54 p.m.

I'm guessing the OP was assuming equal buy in for each. So take the cost of a new BRZ and see what that could get you for a used Cayman or a 1-series or a 3-series.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/20/12 1:05 p.m.

Even used Caymans seem to cost more than new frisbees.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/12 1:08 p.m.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want any $25K Cayman right now. The cheapest I found local to me was a high-mileage base-model for $30K. $25K is likely to be accident damage at this point in the depreciation curve.

Now, $25K Boxster on the other hand...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/20/12 2:31 p.m.

BMW 135i

/thread

Javelin
8/20/12 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/3216284248.html

Wow, I didn't know they got down that low already!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
8/20/12 2:36 p.m.

Chris Harris did a comparison akin to what you're asking for:

Youtubes

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
8/20/12 2:58 p.m.

Although he is using the british pound

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/20/12 3:04 p.m.

used C6?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/20/12 3:10 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: used C6?

This!! I've seen them for as low as $25k and if you can deal with the interior (which I absolutely can, they're perfectly comfy just not as pretty as a BMW might be, and every bit as pretty as the Cayman might be according to GRM) you're going to spank all the others in performance. Probably also reliability and maintenance costs, too.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/20/12 3:12 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
This!! I've seen them for as low as $25k and if you can deal with the interior (which I absolutely can, they're perfectly comfy just not as pretty as a BMW might be, and every bit as pretty as the Cayman might be according to GRM) you're going to spank all the others in performance. Probably also reliability and maintenance costs, too.

Add in the mileage ratings of the frisbee twins and you're really not missing much there either!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
8/20/12 3:13 p.m.

ask me again in the future.........

right now the FR-S is new and some of the performance bolt ons don't work - or so says Moto who owns the 2nd FR-S sold in the US!

in a few years... when all are in the $12k-$15k range. I'll be happy to take a stab

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/12 3:13 p.m.

I'll second a used C6 for dollars-for-performance, but you didn't say what you want this car for. DD? Competition car? Track day toy?

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/20/12 3:17 p.m.

From what the OP mentioned, I'd say 135 >brz>cayman......throw the c6 into the front of that equation if it would be considered.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
8/20/12 3:23 p.m.

The NSX is in that price range as well. And those come with Honda reliability.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/20/12 3:25 p.m.
e_pie wrote: The NSX is in that price range as well. And those come with Honda reliability.

But not Honda replacement parts prices.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/12 3:25 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Cayman S.. end of discussion. Mid-engined FTW

Even though I own a Cayman S (best car I've ever driven), I'm not going to say this exactly. It really depends on what you want.

If you don't need to buy a new car, the Cayman can be an outstanding value. Almost no one buys a Porsche as their primary vehicle and the majority of the five year old cars out there have less than 20k miles on them. They can be bought for 50% of their original value (I have this on fairly good authority) and they are not like to depreciate much over the next two years of ownership.

If you really want a new BMW, buy a new BMW, but I think the 3 series is probably a better choice.

If you want a new car, you want to have fun, and you want a car that will be easy to sell in a few years for a higher percentage of your purchase price, get the BRZ/FRS. Percentage wise, it won't depreciate as quickly as the BMW would.

Javelin
8/20/12 3:26 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Add in the mileage ratings of the frisbee twins and you're really not missing much there either!

Used GTO is even cheaper, has 4 real seats, has a better interior, etc, etc. Can't go wrong with either (GM) one though!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/20/12 3:28 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
dculberson wrote:
Used GTO is even cheaper, has 4 real seats, has a better interior, etc, etc. Can't go wrong with either (GM) one though!

<-- Permanent DINKS. We hae no need for a rear seat.

Javelin
8/20/12 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Just in case the OP did need them. It's my standard answer to "what car?". I say 2 seats or 4, then say Vette or GTO. G8 if they need 5.

C5 Z06 versus C6 base is a much tougher choice. Well, until the LS3 C6's get down into that same price bracket, then I think those might win...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/12 3:32 p.m.

I'd rather have a GTO, or a G8, than a Corvette.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
8/20/12 3:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'd rather have a GTO, or a G8, than a Corvette.

I haven't driven a GTO or G8, but have driven a c6 vette and highly doubt the G8 or GTO could convert me. I am willing to be convinced though - someone let me drive their GTO or G8!

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
8/20/12 3:47 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mad_machine wrote: Cayman S.. end of discussion. Mid-engined FTW
Even though I own a Cayman S (best car I've ever driven), I'm not going to say this exactly. It really depends on what you want. If you don't need to buy a *new* car, the Cayman can be an outstanding value. Almost no one buys a Porsche as their primary vehicle and the majority of the five year old cars out there have less than 20k miles on them. They can be bought for 50% of their original value (I have this on fairly good authority) and they are not like to depreciate much over the next two years of ownership.

Where are you finding these 20k mile $27,000 Caymans?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sUFbWjfPvO0hwyGU03zoRS3bRL90GPTEHjMIJNQD4o9PFUuKevEwImOKietXiIWF