bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/18/08 11:47 a.m.

The Bimmerworld team had a bad day at Watkins Glen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2LSGtwcNE

The E36 M3 hits the fan a little over half way through the clip. Stick it out until the end for the view from the Thomas car. The entire team taken out of the race in one incident.

beez
beez New Reader
6/18/08 12:13 p.m.

yeah, i just saw this on speed channel. the laps had to be rerouted through pit lane. but that was an insane wreck. its good that no one was hurt, but i hate to see all the bimmerworld cars taken out

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 12:42 p.m.

what happened.. he go a little wide and clip the wall?

beez
beez New Reader
6/18/08 1:00 p.m.

yeah. then he got hit and started spinning. then all the other bimmerworld cars hit. and one other car

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
6/18/08 1:06 p.m.

http://www.scca.org/newsarticle.aspx?hub=4&news=3365

As James Clay lead a pack of cars battling for sixth out of Turn 11, his No. 36 BimmerWorld BMW 325i clipped the outside tire wall, turning the car sideways. Daniels’ No. 75 Mazdaspeed/Stoptech/Racinghart MAZDA6 was only inches off of Clay’s bumper at the time and nosed into the sideways BMW, sending Clay into a spin and Daniels into the sand barrels at the entrance to pit lane. In the worst turn of luck for the BimmerWorld team, Clay’s spinning car collected teammates Seth Thomas, in the No. 38 BMW 325i, and Nick Esayian, in the No. 34 BMW 325i, who also hit Daniels’ car before he came to a stop.

When the dust cleared, the track was nearly blocked at Turn 11, with debris littering the area. Removal of the four cars, repairing the tire wall, replacing the sand barrels and clearing the debris would take up more time than there was remaining in the race, and with the pace car leading the field through the pit lane each lap to avoid the mess, the 55.4-mile, 54 minute and 4.619-second race would end under caution. All the drivers involved walked away from the incident uninjured.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 1:34 p.m.

Try that with the Car of Tomorrow ;)

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/18/08 3:46 p.m.

Bleeping SPEED channel! Thanks for having that race on during the day when nobody is around to watch it and then don't repeat it late at night so I can remember to tape it. Bastards.

I've managed to watch ONE of the 4 races broadcast so far because of their wonderful programming. Nothing but Pinks! and Pass Time on in prime time.

jamesclay
jamesclay GRM+ Member
6/18/08 4:35 p.m.

Thanks guys - it sucked... Car washed wide - wild thing is I walked the track Wed night and pointed out to Seth never to touch the outside wall, then said the same thing when Lindsey crashed in qualifying.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/18/08 4:51 p.m.

that reminds me, I wonder if i could use my uncle to hook me up with something at the glen, be it tickets or a job with him at the glen club

ww
ww Dork
6/18/08 6:57 p.m.

James that sucks man. I'm glad you guys are all ok. That little extra inch drift can make the difference between a fast lap and a LAST lap... :)

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/18/08 8:29 p.m.

From the video it really looks like they need some more runoff room on the outside of the turn. A tirewall that close to the racing line is just alarming for the close type of racing you guys are doing.

Best of luck getting the cars back together, its gotta be a bit of a strain when they are ALL damaged. (PS, from someone else who has seen a probem, commented on a problem, and still had an incident into that problem, do your best not to beat yourself up. your not the only one who has done that )

I too really wish that they would put the actual RACING on during primetime on SPEED. Honestly, instead of putting resources into their D-grade shows (how many versions of pinks can they make? Unique whips? Passtime?) they should revamp the promotion and presentation of the actual racing series. I really think if they promoted and presented it right they could have massive success with ACTUAL RACING.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/18/08 8:46 p.m.

Ouch!

Been there, done than (unfortunately).

About 3 years ago. At the exact same spot.

And at a much lower speed, I'm sure (I spun on someone's oil).

I had the car fixed and running at Summit Point two weeks later, but it was a real push.

~More Recent Pictures of My Sprite~

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
6/18/08 9:27 p.m.

What a glorious sounding engine though. I don't know BMWs that well so I am assuming that's the six making all that music.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
6/19/08 7:41 a.m.

Ouch, I feel your pain. Been there, done that as well. It looks like Jame early apexed the last corner (10?), with predictable results. Early in, early out.

Watch his hand position as he tracks out and tried to add more lock in before he gets to the wall. Watch the video and see that his apex was perhaps less than a car length earlier than the other cars in the train.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IcW4Cg2cWL9eh3fQm5TixkX31GVQGYGgUvLTSLDoj0sLzkextu3aHhxxE5gz08V0