1 2 3
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/12 12:07 p.m.

You need a friend in GA.

And honestly, if anyone comes across great finds in title-less cars who would like a partner who can handle the problem, give me a call.

It's TOTALLY about where you live (and why the car has no title).

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/31/12 1:59 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I do not care, I will NEVER buy a car without a title handed off when the car leaves. I don't care if it is the rarest Pierce-Arrow in the world worth more money then most countries GDP, no title is a no sale.

There are states that don't title older cars at all.

SVreX wrote: You need a friend in GA.

Or Maine.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/31/12 2:31 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: For a track car I wouldn't worry about it. The Abomination doesn't have a title but since it will never see street use, it's not an issue. For a street car, I'll pass. It's not worth the headache.
if the Abomination had been stolen from me, it would be an issue for you.
Hey now, thats why the PoLice will run the vin and he will receive a bill of sale and check the guy's ID. That way if the car is stolen, his lawyer will pass all the stolen property charges on to the seller along with the extra charges for selling, and then he can sue him for monetary damages and time spent. Time is money. Possession may be 9/10 of the law, but a paper trail is mighty handy. Oh, and elaminate that bill of sale to preserve his finger prints.

As the seller of the Abomination, no there's not a title. I did buy it from a local British car emporium and received a bill of sale, which I passed on to Toyman. Since it's not going to be street registered and there's not a VIN anywhere on it, it's doubtful anything will ever come of it.

In SC, it is quite possible to get a title on a car or motorcycle which is purchased without one, it cost me $135 to get a title for my XS650 for instance. There's a couple of guys in any sizeable burg that do only that for a living.

The only caveat is that if there is an outstanding lien on a vehicle, the holder of the lien gets first crack at it. Like this: buyer gets a car from seller for $400 because there is no title. Title company does title search, a local finance company has a $1000 note on the car. They can now take the car from the buyer or if the buyer chooses he can settle with them to release the lien.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/31/12 2:37 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: There are states that don't title older cars at all.

And there are states that won't or can't do anything without a title in hand. No bill of sale and current registration, title only.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/31/12 2:59 p.m.
SVreX wrote: You need a friend in GA. And honestly, if anyone comes across great finds in title-less cars who would like a partner who can handle the problem, give me a call. It's TOTALLY about where you live (and why the car has no title).

A fyi, if you do try to use the Bill of sale from GA to get a title in Florida the VIN will be run by law enforcement to make sure it has no FL history.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/12 3:32 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
And there are states that won't or can't do anything without a title in hand. No bill of sale and current registration, title only.

I think you are mistaken. As far as I am aware, every state will accept a registration as title from those states that issue only registrations as titles.

Can you give an example of one that does not?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/12 3:34 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
SVreX wrote: You need a friend in GA. And honestly, if anyone comes across great finds in title-less cars who would like a partner who can handle the problem, give me a call. It's TOTALLY about where you live (and why the car has no title).
A fyi, if you do try to use the Bill of sale from GA to get a title in Florida the VIN will be run by law enforcement to make sure it has no FL history.

What if it does?

Are you saying that a legit GA buyer can't buy and title a FL car in a legit GA manner then later sell it to a FL buyer?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/31/12 3:37 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

It's an attempt to discourage titlewashing.

Quasimo1
Quasimo1 New Reader
12/31/12 4:27 p.m.

To clear up the air a little bit regarding Georgia, the state will issue a title for a vehicle as old at 1963 provided that the car has a continuous title history. If the vehicle has ever been sold on a bill of sale without a title transfer ( possible on '85 or older vehicles) then the state will not issue a new title to the new owner.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/31/12 4:31 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to SVreX: It's an attempt to discourage titlewashing.

I understand the intent. That is not an answer to my question.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/13 12:00 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

yeah, i didn't mean to sound like the Abomination was a stolen car, or that i had a spitfire stolen from me. i was responding to the general statement "no title = no problem" with an example of how someone could possess a vehicle without a title and it could indeed be a big problem for them, ie possession of stolen goods.

sorry for any confusion.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
1/1/13 12:10 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:

If a car comes from a state that doesn't title that car, the registration serves as the title. Go to your DMV and bada-bing! Shiny new title. All nice and legal like.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/13 9:12 a.m.

^^Yep.^^

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/1/13 9:22 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: If a car comes from a state that doesn't title that car, the registration serves as the title. Go to your DMV and bada-bing! Shiny new title. All nice and legal like.

Not anywhere I have lived. Michigan requires a title to do anything. And here in Kentucky, I have been told the same when I have asked.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/13 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Incorrect.

Michigan DMV said: But you can sell a vehicle without the title. However, you will need to meet all of the following conditions: The buyer and seller must go to a Secretary of State branch office together. The seller will need to provide proof of the vehicle identification number, or VIN (the vehicle's registration card is a good way to handle this). The title must be on file in the Secretary of State's database. The title must be free of any liens.

I copied it directly off their website. I didn't try KY.

What you are not understanding is that in states which do not issue titles for various reasons, the registration IS THE TITLE, and is sufficient for title transfer in all other states. If it wasn't, it would be a Federal issue of interstate commerce.

A state does not have the right to fail to recognize the laws of other states.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/1/13 11:48 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

No. You aren't seeing what I am saying. I want to buy one of those registration is title cars from another state. What I have been told is I need the TITLE to transfer to my name and state. I asked about this exact situation. Without an actual title, I was told to pound sand or get a title from the original state to process the sale. I will reaffirm with my county clerk's office when I go to get my mail tomorrow.

As to what you are referencing from MI applies to an instate transfer or to an out of state seller, not an instate buyer from an out of state seller. Now, I know how to get a MI title for an out of state no title car, but it is entirely a slimy, sleazy process that amounts to fraud in a very loose sense.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/1/13 12:27 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I want to buy one of those registration is title cars from another state. What I have been told is I need the TITLE to transfer to my name and state. I asked about this exact situation. Without an actual title, I was told to pound sand or get a title from the original state to process the sale. I will reaffirm with my county clerk's office when I go to get my mail tomorrow.

I once bought an old motorcycle from another state that only required a bill of sale. When I went to the local DMV to see about getting it transferred to my name, they pulled out a big reference book that showed the registration rules for other states to verify that a title wasn't required in that other state, so they were okay with it.

From that I assumed that most states can reference what the rules are in other states, and work with them. Hopefully in your case it will just be a matter of finding a knowledgeable person at the local DMV who knows how to do it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/1/13 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Your local clerk is misinterpreting the law. Not a big surprise.

You may also be asking for the wrong thing. You are not looking to transfer a title from another state. You are looking to apply for a new title (because one does not exist currently, because it is not required). KY VTR form # TC96-182 (I think).

It will require a certified inspector's inspection and affidavit. I think it also needs to be notarized, and appropriate taxes paid.

That should take care of it. It is not slimy, sleazy, or fraudulent. You are buying something from someone within the laws of the state that govern the sale, and titling it properly within the laws of the state it is being titled and registered in. Perfectly legit.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
1/1/13 1:38 p.m.

You cannot receive a new title for a vehicle in Florida if a title for that vehicle currently exists in Florida. With the vehicle in question being from Florida it is highly likely it has a FL title history. You do not want to find that out for the first time from the sheriff's officer who just ran the VIN as part of your attempt to FL/GA/FL backdoor your way into a new title.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/1/13 1:41 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

You aren't telling me anything I don't already know and is readily available for regurgitation off the net. Maybe it was because it was already mine, but I asked what if it was coming in from another state with only a registration as title, but never a change in ownership. There is a lot to be desired in the FAQ's. They are specifically vague. Like I said, I will reaffirm tomorrow when the clerks office is open.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/1/13 1:55 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Raze wrote: That's ridiculous.
It maybe, but after already being burned on a no title car once before and the hoops to get a title, I'll stick with being ridiculous. Sad part is that car is an albatross. I never seen to get rid of it. I'll pass on no title cars.

I'm stuck with a no-title car right now. I've removed every bit from it that anybody could possibly find useful unless they are cracked glass and bent bodywork enthusiasts. Can't scrap it, there's no title. I've half a mind sometimes to rent a U-Haul and drag the carcass to the nearest state that doesn't check titles before scrapping a car.

What extra sucks is, I have a friend who is selling a car at "GTFO NFW O Rly?" price, but I don't want to touch it because somewhere between his buying the car and now, he lost the title before signing it over.

Mmadness
Mmadness New Reader
1/1/13 2:48 p.m.

I saw this exact car a few days ago! This is what I found for NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/nontitled.pdf. Tell us how it turns out, I seams as though GRM guys cruise the same classifieds! Do you know why it is so cheap?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/13 8:41 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
Raze wrote: That's ridiculous.
It maybe, but after already being burned on a no title car once before and the hoops to get a title, I'll stick with being ridiculous. Sad part is that car is an albatross. I never seen to get rid of it. I'll pass on no title cars.
I'm stuck with a no-title car right now. I've removed every bit from it that anybody could possibly find useful unless they are cracked glass and bent bodywork enthusiasts. Can't scrap it, there's no title. I've half a mind sometimes to rent a U-Haul and drag the carcass to the nearest state that doesn't check titles before scrapping a car. What extra sucks is, I have a friend who is selling a car at "GTFO NFW O Rly?" price, but I don't want to touch it because somewhere between his buying the car and now, he lost the title before signing it over.

put car on trailer. cut into 3 pieces, go scrap it.

thats how ohio is anyway. more than 2 halves and it's no longer required of you to provide title to scrap, as you are scrapping used auto parts.

i took a car once that i cut in two right down the middle of the door openings and they took it and tossed it right in the dumpster after they weighed it and paid me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/1/13 8:58 p.m.
patgizz wrote: put car on trailer. cut into 3 pieces, go scrap it. thats how ohio is anyway. more than 2 halves and it's no longer required of you to provide title to scrap, as you are scrapping used auto parts. i took a car once that i cut in two right down the middle of the door openings and they took it and tossed it right in the dumpster after they weighed it and paid me.

I was going to say the same thing thing. I was watching one of those airport walkaround with the employees shows and they were scrapping an airplane, like 747/DC10 sized plane. They said that once the tail section was cut away from the fuselage, it was not considered an airplane anymore, even though you could clearly make out it was still an airplane just missing the tail. There has to be the same mechanism for automobiles.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/13 8:41 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to SVreX: No. You aren't seeing what I am saying. I want to buy one of those registration is title cars from another state. What I have been told is I need the TITLE to transfer to my name and state. I asked about this exact situation. Without an actual title, I was told to pound sand or get a title from the original state to process the sale. I will reaffirm with my county clerk's office when I go to get my mail tomorrow. As to what you are referencing from MI applies to an instate transfer or to an out of state seller, not an instate buyer from an out of state seller. Now, I know how to get a MI title for an out of state no title car, but it is entirely a slimy, sleazy process that amounts to fraud in a very loose sense.

I didn't have a single bit of trouble when I transferred the D back from my parents (GA) to me (KY) when I went to the County Clerk. Well, other than their valuing it at LOT higher than it should have been for tax purposes. I'd gotten it from a seller in Ohio who didn't have the title after doing a LOT of research to confirm that it was not stolen and got the full paper trail from the buyer.

Transferred it to my parents in GA since they were going to store it for a while anyway (the look on the cop's face when he came out to confirm the VIN on it was priceless...) and they registered it there. They held onto it until I had room in my garage, and then transferred it back to me here in Kentucky. A few weeks after the transfer, a nice shiny new title arrived from Frankfort.

That primarily worked because the car was old enough that GA doesn't title them- so all KY cared about was that it had a valid GA registration and that it had a clean VIN history...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lKAUyBuKjP48EoMrV2pyMy39ZjqhmM29UBmRoR412TEgAWuCGeqo7rNO3uVwiNug