1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/20/13 2:19 p.m.

This is mainly out of curiosity, but what's the story on the 2005-2011 Cadillac STS? I didn't hear much about them, but I see them all the time now.

I like the way they look and they look like a descent cruiser. I know you could get them with the 3.6L V6 and the 4.6L Northstar V8. They came RWD which when they came out, I was surprised to find.

I'm pretty sure they weren't popular with the luxury crowd seeing that they stopped producing them for the XTS.

Here is the "V" version:

mw
mw Dork
10/20/13 7:36 p.m.

I really think a Cadillac would be too heavy to be competitive in STS. Especially on 7.5" wheels.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/13 7:51 p.m.
mw wrote: I really think a Cadillac would be too heavy to be competitive in STS. Especially on 7.5" wheels.

Lol

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/20/13 8:01 p.m.

In reply to mw:

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
10/20/13 8:24 p.m.

Was the Northsad version the fixed one or will the head bolts eventually pull out the threads on these too? That and the 3.6 intake/timing issues could explain any cheapness. Plus lack of a manual sucks all the fun out of them.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
10/20/13 8:24 p.m.

When I worked at GM I got an STS-V to drive for a day on a back-roads road trip. It was probably a 2007 model year. Supercharged 4.4L putting out 470 hp = pretty awesome. Sounded fantastic and handled decently well for a car that size and weight. It had a really nice 6 speed paddle-shifted transmission - it was way way better than any other flappy paddle setup I've used and shifted spectacularly well. Did some great burnouts and power-slides.

Interior quality was not up to snuff for a car in that price range though, which would be my biggest issue.

I would consider one for a daily driver someday if I needed a real big sedan.

Never driven the base model.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/13 8:41 p.m.

I drove the First generation STS. It was a fun car in a straight line. It tried hard to be an M5 fighter, but the interior and handling were not up to that standard (not many cars are). It was my boss' car and whenever we went out gambling, I would wind up driving home as he was too drunk to get behind the wheel.

It was also in the ship at least once a month.. usually for small things like power locks. The Drivetrain never let it down

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
10/20/13 9:17 p.m.

didnt know the V-version existed.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
10/20/13 10:06 p.m.

In reply to belteshazzar:

Yeah, I don't think they sold that well. Reason I got one for the day was that they were sitting on the lots. GM started giving them to the top engineers as part of their vehicle rotations and I borrowed one. I think when I got this one there were 3 or 4 other STS-Vs at the facility where I worked. There were only a couple hundred employees there and only ~10 who were high-level engineers that were part of the rotation program. I think everyone else got hybrid Tahoes that summer.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/20/13 10:46 p.m.

If I were to get one, I would go for a 2008 and up V6 sport model. It's performance specs are very close to the V8 models due to the 302hp LLT 3.6L DI engine which is mechanically better than the LY7 V6 before it. With the 6-speed auto it can get up to 26 mpg highway. Like I said, it would be a nice cruiser, not looking for a performance car that size.

2008 and up also have the upgraded interior.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/21/13 5:27 a.m.

Damn, the older I get more I like the idea of a Caddy luxo-barge cruiser. Now you're telling me I can get that combined with the hooliganism of the CTS-V? And they're cheap???

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/21/13 7:25 a.m.

Yes, they are nice cars, AWD is an option in non-V models.

Storz
Storz Dork
10/21/13 8:21 a.m.

Avoid the 3.6 liter, I had a low mileage 05 CTS with HUGE problems at 60k miles. Message me for details if you'd like.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/8169/

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/21/13 8:21 a.m.

The STS-V's are the ones that have the starter motor UNDER the intake manifold. Supercharged Northstar nonsense over the starter... imagine taking that apart when it eventually fails.

Yet somehow I still kinda want one,

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/21/13 8:25 a.m.

Weird, I have seen more of them recently than when they were new. A renaissance?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/21/13 10:03 a.m.
Storz wrote: Avoid the 3.6 liter, I had a low mileage 05 CTS with HUGE problems at 60k miles. Message me for details if you'd like. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/8169/

Yes that is the LY7 motor and I know about its issues with timing chains.

This is why I said '08 and newer because the LLT 3.6L engine is a much better engine.

So basically if someone were interested in one, 2005-2007, stick with the V8. 2008-2011, either motor would be fine.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/21/13 10:06 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: The STS-V's are the ones that have the starter motor UNDER the intake manifold. Supercharged Northstar nonsense over the starter... imagine taking that apart when it eventually fails. Yet somehow I still kinda want one,

That's the Northstar in general.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/21/13 10:11 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Really? I had no idea... What a PITA. That must be a fun job when that thing has been sitting in a puddle of Dexcool when the intake gaskets fail like all the other GM motors of that era.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/21/13 10:17 a.m.

This are the STS-V engine specs:

Supercharged LC3

A 4.4 L (266 cu in) supercharged Northstar was used in the 2006 Cadillac STS-V and Cadillac XLR-V. The bore was reduced for increased strength and improved head gasket sealing. Variable valve timing is used on both the intake and exhaust sides. The STS-V engine produces 469 hp (350 kW) at 6400 rpm and 439 lb·ft (595 N·m) at 3900 rpm with 9:1 compression and the XLR-V engine produces 443 hp (330 kW) at 6400 rpm and 414 lb·ft (561 N·m) at 3900 rpm.

Storz
Storz Dork
10/21/13 10:40 a.m.

An STS-V would be a riot. I've driven the XLR-V and it was quite the car, very smooth and incredibly powerful. Endless torque.

rambler68
rambler68 New Reader
10/21/13 7:32 p.m.

So for the most part, the impression I get here is avoid a Northstar-equipped car regardless of age/mileage/model? The STS was on my radar; SWMBO was looking at a Northstar-equipped Lucerne CXS.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/21/13 7:51 p.m.

How hard would the LS swab be?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/21/13 8:17 p.m.

I've driven an STS-V (friend was a former GM corporate employee), and it had impressive acceleration. One of the front tires was only at 22psi, so I didn't push it in the turns. I came away impressed.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
10/21/13 9:26 p.m.
rambler68 wrote: So for the most part, the impression I get here is avoid a Northstar-equipped car regardless of age/mileage/model? The STS was on my radar; SWMBO was looking at a Northstar-equipped Lucerne CXS.

Nobody said anything bad about the Northstar, only that the starter is located under the intake manifold. The Northstar equipped STS is an awesome underrated car. The LY7 V6 models pre-2008 are the ones to stay away from because the timing chains have a failure issue.

I said that I would personally go after the 2008+ LLT 3.6L because of the fuel economy.

The 4.6L Northstar is good for 320hp. the 4.4L Supercharged Northstar is good for 429hp.

Just remember, the STS is RWD, the Lucerne is FWD.

rambler68
rambler68 New Reader
10/22/13 6:44 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification, SBF, but I do see general references to head bolt issues (JunkyardDog's post), and intake gaskets (Silverfleet's post) so likely overheating issues possible. As this is to be a daily driver (minimum 50 miles a day and longer weekend trips) for the next 3-5 years, it's not something I'd feel comfortable purchasing unless those problems have been resolved. Aware of the drivetrain difference; the Lucerne may be a little better for a Wisconsin winter (and STS AWD models with reasonable mileage are out of my budget).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UhWV633th4jx7UwI61UF48tdZ7p8vQtTL1xGSrBAorZnywqCV0DgdKNSOxipQvju