ryanty22 New Reader
4/11/14 9:35 p.m.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/4405294974.html

1981 maserati biturbo

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/11/14 9:48 p.m.

Even better, it's a BiScoop.

At 64k miles, it is one of the high mileage examples making it nearly twice the miles of the average one.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
4/11/14 9:50 p.m.

I think somebody slipped and mistakenly put a "1" at the beginning of the price. Possible that "0" on the end as well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
4/11/14 10:26 p.m.

Not quite as bad under the hood as the GRM yellow Miata was, but close. That looks like expensive trouble there.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/11/14 10:35 p.m.

I can't believe how cynical you guys are. Didn't you read the ad? it's the PERFECT track car!!!!!!

AND it's cheaper than any Subaru (granted, that doesn't count the cost to actually get it running/keep it running).

And as we all know, people who are cross-shopping STis and WRXs always MUST be sure to check out a Biturbo. Because, ya know, they are VERY similar cars. Same age, same drivetrain arrangement, all of that....

NOT A TYPICAL PIECE OF JUNK (really, it's a quite unusual piece of junk).

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/11/14 10:36 p.m.

I also can't say I've ever seen a car posted for sale where the reason for selling is "due to Medicaid"....

All that said, I am really dying for someone on here to finally actually get one of these biturbos, replace every mechanical and interior part from something from another car, and then drive it. Because if there's one thing they do have, it's that Italian style. There's gotta be SOMEONE out there with the skill and perseverence to actually take a biturbo and "make it good".

right?

fujioko
fujioko Reader
4/11/14 11:11 p.m.

A very clean and running California example sold on ebay for about the same price back in February.

Given the condition of the black car I speculate the asking price is extremely optimistic.

Personally I don't think I would take that car if it were free. I draw a line in the sand when it comes to the Biturbo.

wae
wae Reader
4/11/14 11:25 p.m.

How does one lower a car using "hood scopes" anyway?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
4/11/14 11:26 p.m.

he is including a couple of plastic shopping bags under the hood... probably for spare parts or something?

how bad would one of those be to swap an LS engine into?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/11/14 11:52 p.m.

SELLING DUE TO MEDICAID.

that's a new one

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/12/14 1:16 a.m.

I worked in dealerships for 10 yrs and only saw two of these ever, one was junk the other was pristine. The pristine one ran like a scalded dog though. Took me off the line and kept pulling away till I hit 3rd and I was in an ss camaro.

etifosi
etifosi New Reader
4/12/14 8:44 a.m.

The hood "scopes" help a driver line up the apex, duh.

Plus, he DID say that you will not find one like this at this price.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/12/14 9:19 a.m.

My friend has one that is run on track days and autocross. I his words, stock, the car is not a good track car. Lousy handling and non existent brakes. He has addressed these points and more. It now is quite fast.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/12/14 9:32 a.m.

The US did not get the Biturbo until '84, but it could be a grey market car, not that there would be anything to gained from that. If it is, it would be a 2.0l instead of a 2.5l.

The engine and transmissions are really good, with two exception, carbs suck and the the berkeleying valves are almost impossible to shim correctly, which sucks, because they have to be checked/adjusted every 15,000 miles.

See how the intake valves are driven by the side of the bucket? You have to shim the tops of the valves to be at the same height and then using the same difference shim the bucket to cam clearance. Might not be so bad if you have a wall full of shims like a Maserati dealer did back in the 80s. Even then, it is 16 hours of book time to do the valve adjustment.

The suspension/brakes area combination of BMW parts.

The transmission is really nice, dog leg ZF S5 unit, also used in the BMW 3.0 CSL.

The electrics are't great, but hey, it's Italian. The biggest culprit is the fusebox itself.

The car is nose heavy, moving the battery to the very small trunk will help alot.

The engine sounds kinda awesome with straight pipes to the hear post turbo.

All that said, I'll have another some day.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
4/12/14 10:57 a.m.

I look at that and think Chump car or LeMons...

RoughandReady
RoughandReady Reader
4/12/14 11:11 a.m.

Remove Italian lump, insert Buick turbo V6, enjoy.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/12/14 11:37 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

I have been shot at, stabbed, and rammed with a car.

But you are brave in the face of a Maserati Biturbo in a way that I will never be.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/12/14 12:34 p.m.

I know that I'm not the first to say this, but I will repeat it every time a Bi-Turbo discussion pops up here; the Bi-Turbo needs a Nissan VQ TT swap.

The turbo Buick V6 would certainly have the power, but I don't think that it would sound right.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
4/12/14 12:39 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w: Is that one bucket actuating 2 valves?!?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/12/14 2:13 p.m.

Yes, the 2 intake valves are actuated on the sides of the one bucket, which is what makes properly shimming the valves such a berkeleying whore.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kQO5956Hg9NeC29ihStistVISesscFlskMQIYqDkuf5jx4vnDQBzZ4d7ba0579O9