1 2
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/13/23 4:08 p.m.

These companies have been badge engineering for so long, it's almost irrelevant to ask whether a particular brand will last or not.  I expect the market adoption of EV's to have a substantial impact on future badge engineering and it might affect brands known for big V8's more than the others, but the products will be the products and it's just a matter of which pigs get the lipstick.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/13/23 4:30 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I think there would be more brand loyalty for a legacy brand like "Dodge Trucks", than from a new label named after a male sheep.

You can certainly think that, but bear in mind, Ram Trucks does exist.  If it were as bad as you think, it would have been gone a long time ago.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/23 4:35 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I think there would be more brand loyalty for a legacy brand like "Dodge Trucks", than from a new label named after a male sheep.

You can certainly think that, but bear in mind, Ram Trucks does exist.  If it were as bad as you think, it would have been gone a long time ago.  

Dodge trucks became Ram trucks in 2012, I think. They've been Ram a pretty long time in the market's eye. If you go to Dodge.com, there are no trucks anywhere.

That's about the same amount of time as between Datsun and this:

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/23 4:42 p.m.

Irony: one could buy a Hornet with a 304 V8.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
3/13/23 8:05 p.m.

This is actually a secret maneuver to bring the REAL puppetmaster back into the fore, now they can be open and public about to fit their goals: AMC!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/13/23 9:17 p.m.
Error404 said:

. There will be plenty of Dodge e-emblems in the deployment parking lots while our 19 year olds are off bringing freedom to some mineral rich 3rd world country. 

bought right outside the front gate at 12% interest, the day after re-signing bonus received....

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/13/23 9:19 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

These companies have been badge engineering for so long, it's almost irrelevant to ask whether a particular brand will last or not.  I expect the market adoption of EV's to have a substantial impact on future badge engineering and it might affect brands known for big V8's more than the others, but the products will be the products and it's just a matter of which pigs get the lipstick.

The Dodge RAM Raider (aka Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero/Shogun and yes, it has both Dodge and RAM badges and has exactly 0.1% Dodge parts content) in my driveway agrees.

side note: the Mitsubishi 6G72 engine in it powered thousands of Chrysler minivans too!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/13/23 9:37 p.m.

I just wished they called it an Omni

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
3/14/23 7:25 a.m.
Colin Wood said:
Keith Tanner said:

I think so. Their brand is more about bulk horsepower than how it's produced. 

calteg said:

As long as the speed is cheap, Dodge owners won't care

Really good points. Dodge seems to have succeeded in being a "rowdy" car maker. If they can carry that over into the world of electrification (which should be easy for them), Dodge should do just fine.

I think these are the key points.  The Challenger/Charger have become image vehicles and a cultural symbol of being "rowdy".  If they can keep that going into the next generation of vehicle, they'll stick around.  If not, they'll be gone.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/14/23 9:30 a.m.

I think you guys are looking at this all wrong.

There was warning signs of failure before FCA took them over but kept afloat by jeep/Ram truck. Charger/Challenger is just recycled 90s Mercedes when they were Daimler Chrysler. and those cars are still being made today!

Now they are owned by PSA so there is a whole new set of platforms and vehicle parts bin engineering at their disposal that is "new" to us but can offer something that looks nice with features we want (remember Korean cars in the late 90s/early 00s? Plenty of Lexus/MB tech but for rock bottom prices) They are currently posting huge profits because they aren't reinventing the wheel all the time, they are just offering people cars with content that they want and that sells. 

They'll be fine. Ford has me worried because of consistent quality issues and bad investments, also a CEO that thinks he is some sort of Steve Jobs syndrome but mostly the new CEO there gets punished for the old CEOs launches and wonders why performance is below expectations... 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/23 11:39 a.m.

As long as we can get some that looks reasonably close to this and can leave long black streaks on the pavement  while generating an enormous cloud of tire smoke Dodge will be fine. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/14/23 11:47 a.m.
mblommel said:

As long as we can get some that looks reasonably close to this and can leave long black streaks on the pavement  while generating an enormous cloud of tire smoke Dodge will be fine. 

But is that what they will build? The thing at the top of this thread looks more like a rebadged 4 door crossover. A Challenger EV would be great.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/14/23 12:54 p.m.

They made it through the 1990s without selling a single V8 passenger car.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/23 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

I guess I got a bit off topic. Sorry about that. No idea if the re-badged Alfa is going to do do well. The other re-badged Alfa (Dart) didn't do so hot so I expect this one to flounder too. 

Dodge seems committed to a muscle electric chassis with probable Charger and Challenger versions. I'm hopeful.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/14/23 1:40 p.m.

Wow. This thread made me think about modern Dodges for the first time ever.

I just associate them with dudes who tuck their ears into their baseball caps running around straight piped so everyone notices them but, surely they had another market? 

I looked at their website. 4 vehicles are all they offer.  No more minivans, darts or anything. I had no idea.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/23 2:03 p.m.

What percent of their cars actually have V8s?  A little research will get you your answer. My bet it is a much smaller percentage than many realize. 

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
3/14/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

IMO the pooch was screwed on the Dart when it wasn't AWD. The looks were there but if it would have been AWD and Turbo it could have been an EVO/STI competitor. I mean...they marketed it by having a few branded in Rallycross. I was so disappointed when I found out it wasn't an option, and at that point I would have seriously looked a buying one if it had.

As for this Hornet...my first impression is 1. Just another crapy crossover, and 2. It would look better if it was 8" lower

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/14/23 3:36 p.m.
dean1484 said:

What percent of their cars actually have V8s?  A little research will get you your answer. My bet it is a much smaller percentage than many realize. 

A lot of the police Chargers around here are actually V6s. But they are still rear wheel drive.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/23 9:43 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Irony: one could buy a Hornet with a 304 V8.

Then slide in a 401.  So stealth that even the dealer won't know unless they open it up.  

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
3/20/23 10:05 a.m.

We’ll have the chance to drive the Hornet this week

Did y'all get a chance to drive it yet?  Really curious what GRM thinks of it. 

-Rob

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/20/23 10:31 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

We did drive it, and we'll be sharing our thoughts later this week. Stay tuned!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/20/23 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I think with the squeeze of incomes that has been happening lately.   The Dodge Chrysler thing will continue on for a while.   
  Just like some other brands are hanging on in name only.   One other example is Jaguar.  Loosing Sir William Lyons  basically killed off what was great about Jaguar just as the loss of Colin Chapman killed off Lotus.  
  Oh, they exist as badges. However the SOUL of the company  is really gone.  Aston Martin and Even Ferrari  could be in danger as well.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/23 12:12 p.m.
dean1484 said:

A lot of Challengers around here have V6s.  And they sound amazing with the right exhaust.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
12Y51q57pDrYGYJDSEciRGjvBk2E6nLpNGli8HGzwKr3VHWODlhfGjmeqNWRIPow