1 2
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/22/13 10:20 p.m.

My hooptie/Redneck limo/Living Room on wheels, having just received a new fel pro aluminum LIM gasket kit and Dorman UIM kit.

Not only is it a good idea? Is it capable of passing tech?

-Battery is strapped down, literally, using a boat tray well secured with sheet metal screws.

-Rusty, structurally sound, but rusty, floors are there, rockers and rear wheel tubs, not so much(towers are still solid), brake lines have just been gone through and replaced as needed.

-Doesn't leak or drip anything excessively(it IS an old GM product after all)

-Exhaust all there

-It is fitted with fairly blocky all seasons.

I learned how to drive in slick stuff in a old LWB chevy pickup, so making long cars do what I want isnt entirely foreign to me.

How much helmet do I need(Detroit SCCA)?

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/22/13 10:27 p.m.

battery: you'll probably want to strap it down more securely. Shouldn't be hard to do.

rust: doesn't matter. We have cars out that you can see through the wheel wells

helmet: any SA2010 (or is it 2008) approved, or whatever your local club approves. I've never had anyone check mine at an event... Open face is fine (that's what I use), some like closed.

as to the car, the answer would be yes. Any car can rallycross, really. Last season we had a Buick out there, a Crown Vic, and a few other big boats along with the usual subies, e30s, rx7s, and random FWD cars.

Will you win? Depends on how good of a driver you are :)

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
1/22/13 10:29 p.m.

and yes, of course it's a good idea.

duh.

drsmooth
drsmooth New Reader
1/22/13 11:57 p.m.
irish44j wrote: and yes, of course it's a good idea. duh.

In reply to the original poster and in light of the above post...

You can Rally-Cross pretty much anything. And I agree it is a good idea!!

moxnix
moxnix Reader
1/23/13 6:09 a.m.

For SCCA it is current M2010/SA2010 or two prior (2005/2000) for helmets.

Can you move the battery by shaking with your hands? If not then it should be ok.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/23/13 6:28 a.m.

Does a bear E36 M3 in the woods?

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
1/23/13 7:53 a.m.

Yes... and hell yes. Do it

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/23/13 8:19 a.m.

I didn't have to open the thread to see it, my answer was YES! Our rallycross chairman told me when I first got interested, 3 rules:

Buy a $500 car. Put snow tires on it. Go rallycross!

Ok, I spent $2k because I've always wanted an MR2, but still...

kylini
kylini New Reader
1/23/13 8:51 a.m.

I've used a ratchet strap hooked to the trunk floor drain and a hole in the side of the car to tie down a battery. If it doesn't move, you'll pass no matter how ghetto-fabbed it is.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
1/23/13 9:02 a.m.

You can and should rally cross any damn car you like.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
1/23/13 10:47 a.m.

Agreed with kylini, as long as the battery doesn't move when they push on it, it passes.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
1/23/13 10:50 a.m.

I know a hooligan who rallyx'd his S600. He found it amusing to be able to take out cones on both sides of a gate simultaneously....

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/23/13 11:28 a.m.

Rallycrossing that car is a moral imperative

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/23/13 12:40 p.m.

Yank the ABS fuse, right? I haven't got much seat time in this monster yet, but I imagine getting it rotated without an e brake is going to take some experimentation. For those not familiar with these big H platform cars the front brakes look like they belong on a 1/2 ton truck, you can fit a pinky finger in the front rotor vanes. They will just about do a stoppie on dry pavement if you forget your piloting a barge and try driving it like a compact.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/23/13 12:54 p.m.

Detroit checks for the battery to be held down (does it move with a solid yank? No? Good), the positive terminal covered, wheel bearing rock, loose items in the cabin, and that it has a brake pedal and the throttle returns smoothly.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/23/13 1:18 p.m.

Here are just a few of the cars I have run rally-x with in the Detroit region.

This is the car that got me my start. I came very close to winning a championship with it...

Since then, I have bummed the following rides from other DRSCCA entrants.

Bunches of fun, because that's what Rallycross is all about!

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/23/13 3:13 p.m.
Jeff wrote: You can and should rally cross any damn car you like.

Exhibit A

Still had no-seasons on it. The guy had a blast!

Look at that weight transfer to the drive wheels!

Knurled
1/23/13 7:16 p.m.

DRSCCA certainly has the most eclectic mix of vehicles in their RX program. At the last one I was at, there was a Ranger, two Porsches, an Audi TT, a new model Mini, a BMW 1er, a Charger that barely fit through the slalom, some other things that I've forgotten, and of course the short wheebase incredibly overpowered Rav4...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/23/13 7:29 p.m.

We have a guy who runs a Pinto wagon on take off dirt track tires. We call it the Death Pinto and it is the favorite car to get rides in. I'd ask him if I could drive it but I can't reach the pedals. The owner is something like 6'7" and 350lbs and the seat is bolted to the floor. I love rallycross.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/23/13 7:58 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:

That's impressive this passes tech, I've never thought about slamming around a camper top on a PU like that since I've seen some held on with wood blocks and c-clamps!

Knurled
1/24/13 1:06 p.m.

The owner of that truck instigated the diff rule for Prepared. He's a safety steward, IIRC.

He pulled his old SuspensionCam videos from his YouTube page, otherwise I'd link.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
1/24/13 1:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The owner of that truck instigated the diff rule for Prepared. He's a safety steward, IIRC.

Can you translate this for me please? I have no idea what it means and I don't understand the comments re trucks with caps???

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/24/13 1:34 p.m.

I wouldn't be so worried about the battery. mine Mine is strapped by a military spec bungee.

Be sure to ensure the cooling system is in good shape because you'll be pushing that engine hard.

Make sure you have plenty of jacks sitting around.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/24/13 3:57 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Be sure to ensure the cooling system is in good shape because you'll be pushing that engine hard.

Duly noted. Being an old DEATHCOOL car, I'm sure it could use the garden hose treatment on the radiator and heater core.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/24/13 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Yea... I just forgot to turn the fan on there...

Adrian, what I believe was being said about the cover, is that he's seen such E36 M3ty install jobs, its surprising to see one thats good enough to pass tech.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k3srBzcQSWzMbscbr55oiq0lBsplLdEqzA5vQDgSA0HmF5uE5CmOP0IPgm3aTrTH