1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/17 9:17 a.m.

Wow, $900 short from dropping into OneLap's Econo class.  Take that Fiesta ST!

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/13/17 12:39 p.m.

I mean the 2016 for 18k is way under the 25k budget for econo depending on how they look at it but so is a c5 z06 so I don't think that's how they would class it

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/17 12:53 p.m.

no, it's based on MSRP, and you convert the listed MSRP at the time up to 2018 year dollars via inflation... although "manufacturer intent" and "if a car is sold as a coupe and a sedan, then it's classed as a sedan" are taken into consideration by the OneLap organizers.  2017 Rules Linkage

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/13/17 1:01 p.m.

I need to run it by Brock, but I suspect it's sticker price. I'm sure I can actually buy a new one under the cap, but I'm not sure it count. 

Mrs. Deuce and I went and sat in a base 4 cyl car. It's plenty nice for the price. Driving position is great for both of us, plenty of helmet room. Back seat is unuseable, my heat hits the ceiling hard. Tons of engine room. They have it listed for $26k. I'd have to upgrade the brakes. 

NickD
NickD SuperDork
10/13/17 1:21 p.m.

I've been a faithful employee at a GM dealership for the past 6 years, and have 2 SCCA class wins to my name. Wonder if I can convince the dealership to toss me a Camaro to use as a company-sponsored race car

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/13/17 2:26 p.m.

I mean I don't think it needs to be in econo to be competitive :P that would just make it even worse

There is a site and I cant find it now but it lets you pick like a Gen 3/Gen 4 F body and tells you all these packages of other GM parts you can bolt on like Gen 3 to Gen 4, or Gen 3 to C4/C5/C6/C7 brakes

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
10/13/17 2:33 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to Raze :

Thanks for that data. Dealers in Houston have them listed for $22K for on the lot 2017 cars. No telling if you can actually get them for that, but if you can, holy moly that's a lot of car for the money.

now might not be a good time...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 4:51 p.m.
NickD said:

I've been a faithful employee at a GM dealership for the past 6 years, and have 2 SCCA class wins to my name. Wonder if I can convince the dealership to toss me a Camaro to use as a company-sponsored race car

Interest in Camaros has certainly gone up among people who would not otherwise have been interested.

$384/mo is the quote for the Cramit I'd buy.  Hmm.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
10/13/17 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

So according to those numbers, and what was said by those who were there, most non-aliens will be fastest in the Type R.

I still can't get over how poorly the Focus RS showed. I know it's just one data point, but wow.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/13/17 8:34 p.m.

Yeah I mean all things aside of which car won I am still just shocked how capable the "rental special" Camaro is

A type R would cost you almost double the money as would a focus RS also

Raze
Raze UltraDork
10/13/17 10:00 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I need to run it by Brock, but I suspect it's sticker price. I'm sure I can actually buy a new one under the cap, but I'm not sure it count. 

Mrs. Deuce and I went and sat in a base 4 cyl car. It's plenty nice for the price. Driving position is great for both of us, plenty of helmet room. Back seat is unuseable, my heat hits the ceiling hard. Tons of engine room. They have it listed for $26k. I'd have to upgrade the brakes. 

Doing it wrong... Fold down back seat... El Camaro... That's what we called it after I moved more in it than my Ford Ranger

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
10/13/17 10:44 p.m.

In reply to Raze :

I slept in mine at the 24hrs of Daytona, and I'm 6'2".  Folded the rear seat down, pushed the passenger seat-back forward, and slept just fine.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/14/17 4:11 a.m.
racerfink said:

In reply to Raze :

I slept in mine at the 24hrs of Daytona, and I'm 6'2".  Folded the rear seat down, pushed the passenger seat-back forward, and slept just fine.

That answers my next question. I almost tried to lay down in the one we looked at but decided that I didn't want to explain track naps to the sales guy.

Knurled
10/14/17 5:07 a.m.

If the backseat folds down, a backseat/trunk combo offers more sleeping space than a cheap tent and has better insulation.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/14/17 6:47 a.m.

My concern is this. I think I could drive a car off the lot for $25k. For track work that would still need brakes and maybe cooling. For just over $30k sticker I could order one with just the big brembo's and cooling, plus I still have a family A plan discount, though I'm not sure what that is now, they seem to be getting smaller.  

Just the brakes are $3k through GM. I think it would make the most sense to order one and who knows what the oil cooler and bigger radiator cost. I'm thinking ordering makes more sense. 

All still theoretical of course. Wanting a car doesn't make room for one. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/14/17 7:54 a.m.

I would likely order with in that case. Can always check Costco pricing as well and stack that with stuff like black friday

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/14/17 8:32 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

From what we've read, the RS package gets you the wider 20" wheels, although it does show square 245's vs the 275 rear tires on the track packages.

It looks like you can also add a Performance Enthusiast Package with Gray accents with suspension lowering. Might be worth it.

The Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package includes some bits that might improve the car for track duty.

My final build price is $32,395.

That Mrs. Deuce went with you to look at one is awesome. cool

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/14/17 8:59 a.m.

The real deal package is the brake/cooling package. For $1750 you get four piston Brembo's in front, an oil cooler, bigger radiator and 20" wheels. The four piston brakes alone are a $2,000 upgrade through GM performace parts. The six piston Brembo fronts are $3k, and are a $3k option at order. So my thought is to spend the $1750 on the package, order the six pistons through GM at the same time. Take the four pistons off and sell them to someone wanting the upgrade and basically get the cooling and wheels for free. Buy light track wheels and sell the stock 20's to offset some of that cost. All of the wheels on the 4cyl car are 8.5 inches. The lowering kit would help for AX I'm sure, but I'd rather wait and see if there is a new Z28 suspension that you can buy like you can for the previous cars. I wonder if my V wagon wheels fit? Same brakes..........

Edit: just checked and I'm 99% sure they'd fit. Too wide for stock AX, but whatever. I excitedly told Mrs. Deuce. She said "thank God, I've been losing sleep wondering." Not sure if serious.......

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/14/17 9:42 a.m.

The dripping sarcasm made my keyboard sticky.

For whatever reason, I tend to look at cars like this from an autocross view and swapping to 6 piston calipers would bump it out of DS as would an added Z28 suspension package if not available from the factory.  I would have a hard time taking a car worth that much money to the track anyway.  I'd rather track something more... "disposable".  But I understand your focus on One Lap.

With that in mind, I'd probably wait until I was sure the car won't get bumped from DS before buying.  Also, in my region, the lot we use might not be the best for such a wide car anyway (courses tend to have a lot of slaloms).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/14/17 9:46 a.m.

I'd be fine running it in wherever it lands. I'm barely locally competitive on a good day. 

Knurled
10/14/17 10:10 a.m.
mazdeuce said:

The real deal package is the brake/cooling package. For $1750 you get four piston Brembo's in front, an oil cooler, bigger radiator and 20" wheels. The four piston brakes alone are a $2,000 upgrade through GM performace parts. The six piston Brembo fronts are $3k, and are a $3k option at order. So my thought is to spend the $1750 on the package, order the six pistons through GM at the same time. Take the four pistons off and sell them to someone wanting the upgrade and basically get the cooling and wheels for free. Buy light track wheels and sell the stock 20's to offset some of that cost. 

That's even better than my idea, which was to just get the 4-piston Brembo/radiator/cooler package because I couldn't justify a 10% price bump for the six pots. 

Dammit dammit dammit, now I want a Cramit. 

Alternatively, since the ATS is apparently essentially the same chassis, I wonder if PAP would have takeoff packages available.  They have '13-15 ZL1 front and rear brakes listed for $1300: https://www.clevelandpap.com/shop/brake-upgrades/13-15-camaro-zl1-lsa-oem-front-rear-brake-upgrade-calipers-black-brembo/  It's only a matter of time before balled up 6th-gens get snapped up by these guys.  After all, the Hellcat was out for like a month before they had a complete drivetrain donor setup available.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
10/14/17 11:15 a.m.
Knurled said:

I am also somewhat disappointed that it took four pages for Cramit to be invoked.

Page three. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/14/17 2:25 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I'd be fine running it in wherever it lands. I'm barely locally competitive on a good day. 

It depends on one's focus. If I'm buying a new car with autocross in mind, I want to be damn sure it'll be competitive before dropping that kinda of cash.  I've already made that mistake once with the E30 and I already have a car to run if I just want to run ('06 MCS JCW in mild STX prep).  Unfortunately, I'm hesitant to run it until I can replace the clutch.

STM317
STM317 Dork
10/14/17 2:53 p.m.
Ian F said:
mazdeuce said:

It depends on one's focus. If I'm buying a new car with autocross in mind, I want to be damn sure it'll be competitive before dropping that kinda of cash.  I've already made that mistake once with the E30 and I already have a car to run if I just want to run ('06 MCS JCW in mild STX prep).  Unfortunately, I'm hesitant to run it until I can replace the clutch.

This seems like a logical approach, but I'm the complete opposite. There's no way I'd skip an option package that I wanted just because it would bump me out of a specific class. If I'm buying a new car, it's going to be what I want, not what I think will be competitive in a specific class for a couple of years until the next best thing rolls along. Autocross is meant to be fun. Responsible Street driving should be too. Worrying about the minutia of rule books is for other people I guess because I just want to show up, be classed wherever it fits, and have a good time.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/14/17 5:15 p.m.

And this is what frustrates me most about SCCA autoX classing and why from a mostly enthusiast standpoint why CAM is so fun :P

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoemyaPRqpZMQzhvTX3USiGETRvNw57V4QBM2TmDfyrIRh63kmrVHOZjwteOkwH1