1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/30/19 9:32 a.m.

I'm looking to put FD wheels on my FC RX-7.  I need a 20 mm spacer.  Now, I understand that there are those that maintain that it is unsafe to do so--That any car with any wheel spacer will spontaneously immolate, killing the driver and anyone near it.

However, there is an opposing school of thought that asserts a spacer of modest thickness is perfectly fine.  I'm interested in hearing from those people. wink

There appear to be two kinds of spacers:  a flat ring, with an appropriate number of holes.  This would require that I install longer wheel lugs, as my lugs extend but an inch, leaving insufficient threaded length to properly secure lug nuts.

The other kind uses the existing studs to mount a ring which secures "new" lugs in the space between the stock lugs.    The only catch here, is that if the wheels being mounted do not have a recess to accommodate the part of the stud which extends through the spacer, the wheel will not set flat against the mounting surface and will need to be shortened.

So, does it matter which way I go?  Are some brands better than others?  Can anyone recommend a source?

Thanks!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/30/19 9:33 a.m.

I ran 2" spacers on the truck on all 4 corners. no one died. 

zordak
zordak Reader
5/30/19 9:40 a.m.

Properly installed a wheel spacer is safe. 20mm is too short to bolt on then have additional studs, you should use the appropriate longer studs. The spacers should have holes very close (+.010 dia max) to the size of the studs.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
5/30/19 9:43 a.m.

I ran 1” spacers on the front of my autocross ae86 for half a season plus daily driving. Nobody died but my wheel bearings were rather unhappy.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
5/30/19 9:52 a.m.

20mm is right on the edge for being able to use bolt on spacers (it'll depend on wheel design).  I'd probably go with extended studs and slip on spacers for that size, although I do have 19mm (3/4") bolt on spacers on the front of the Jeep (the wheels I have for it all have enough of a recess for the studs).  My 25mm rear bolt on spacers sit pretty flush with the nuts.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/30/19 9:53 a.m.

1" spacers on the rear of my daily driver Mustang haven't killed anyone yet. 2" spacers on the front of a friend's '92 Camaro haven't caused any deaths yet either.

Both are of the bolt on variety.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/30/19 9:57 a.m.

As long as you arent out pounding kerbs on a track all the time I would think its safe, even for autocross, as long as you get good studs (ARP, etc) with sufficient engagement. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/19 10:03 a.m.

I used 1.25" adapters on a 4400 station wagon, drove it 2,000 miles round trip to the Challenge, raced the Challenge, and it was fine. Sooo worth it to have C4 Vette wheels on a Roadmaster.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/30/19 10:28 a.m.

These are run all the time in Lemons.  You never really hear or see failures.  One time someone didn’t get a flush seat on the whee adapter which made it come loose as it couldn’t be torqued properly.  If you have long enough studs (and strong enough) for proper thread engagement, it will be fine.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/19 10:29 a.m.

If you mount ARP extended studs in good quality hubs. You should have no issues. I am not a fan of the bolt on spacer "hubs" 

But I have no experience with them. They just don't give me warm and fuzzies thinking about what chinesium the new stud may be made of...

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
5/30/19 10:46 a.m.

Land Cruiser guys run up to 2" spacers all day long on a 6800lb SUV going offroad with a whole bunch of horsepower and gear reduction.  I would have no concern with quality spacers properly installed.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/19 10:54 a.m.

I use ARP extended studs on my daily driver. The spacers are have a milled hubcentric center, which keeps any play from happening.

I also happen to have two bolt on 114.5 bolt pattern 15mm spacers sitting in my garage doing a whole not of nothing at the moment. If a 15mm spacer would work vs. a 20mm, let me know.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/30/19 11:00 a.m.

I have hubcentric 1.25" bolt-on spacers on my 4k+ lb SUV with no issues.

Spidertrax is big in the offroad world but I'm sure there are plenty of reputable companies making them for more sportcar-type applications.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/19 11:04 a.m.

I was just skimming the SCCA TT rules to make sure the MGB would be okay with spacers, and they're fine under tuner and sport rules, for whatever that's worth. They may be fine under other groups, I just didn't look anywhere else.

Regarding the earlier comment about wheel bearings, that's not about spacers per se, but about the effective offset of your wheels and spacers together. I'll be using wheels with more offset than would normally fit, with 13 and 16mm spacers (rear and front, respectively) to make them more or less correct, inasmuch as correct exists for a 7" wheel on this car.

I'll also be using new Moser studs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/30/19 11:28 a.m.

Anybody know if these M12 x 1.5 ARP studs will fit my stock hubs?

ARP #100-7713

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
5/30/19 2:52 p.m.

Whatever style spacers you get, "sandwich" type with long enough studs or adapter style, make sure to get the ones that are hubcentric.

morello159
morello159 Reader
5/30/19 3:12 p.m.

I ran bolt-on spacers for the rear axle of my Mustang for 40k miles of teenage daily driving, mountain runs and autocross without ever having an issue. The previous owner installed them with low profile nuts and the studs cut down. I was 16 at the time and didn't know any better, but I'm still alive. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/30/19 3:24 p.m.

There are very few aftermarket wheel options for my Jag... but adding 20mm spacers would allow me to run choose from among the hundreds of wheels options available for the Ford Focus RS.  Seems worth investigating.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/30/19 4:23 p.m.
Sonic said:

These are run all the time in Lemons.  You never really hear or see failures.  One time someone didn’t get a flush seat on the whee adapter which made it come loose as it couldn’t be torqued properly.  If you have long enough studs (and strong enough) for proper thread engagement, it will be fine.  

You do sometimes see problems when people use impacts to set lug nut torque on the spacer *cough*Bruce*cough* but that happens without spacers, too.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/30/19 5:34 p.m.

Volvo 240/740s at 5x108 +20 generally needs spacers to run anything other than stock or custom wheels which generally exceed the value of the car. Guys on the Volvo forums tend to run screaming fearing Cthulhu at the mere mention of spacers, but in the real world most people seem to fare just fine. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/30/19 5:41 p.m.

as long as you have appropriate-length studs, you can hit all the things you want and your wheel barrel will break long before the spacers become an issue. Source: 9 years of hitting things and jumping, using spacers. between 8mm and 20mm, with zero issues (well, zero issues related to spacers, at least)....

like any modification, if you do it properly, it will do just fine.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
5/30/19 6:30 p.m.
nderwater said:

There are very few aftermarket wheel options for my Jag... but adding 20mm spacers would allow me to run choose from among the hundreds of wheels options available for the Ford Focus RS.  Seems worth investigating.

Even better, the bolt on spacers can be made to adapt to different bolt patterns and/or center bores. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
5/30/19 6:41 p.m.

Did someone say wheel spacers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN-OJYKhOHU

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
5/30/19 8:07 p.m.

I had 20mm hubcentric spacers  on my mazda 323 gtx. I didn'r rally the car on those spacers but saw no problems normal driving on my "fancy" street wheels. 

My E55 monster came to me with Brabus wheels along with all the other spendy stuff, and they required 20mm hubcentric spacers. And things have been sorta uncertain from the getgo. We replaced a lotta suspension bits which is a good idea, but I noticed that  torquing the wheel bolts to like 150 ftlb seemed to help. Hmmm. Well, I picked up a low speed under-braking clunk. Pull a wheel. The spacer holes are at least a qtr inch bigger than the bolts. And the bolts had *carved thread grooves* into the spacer holes. Well, that is what we call alarming. That braking clunk was the wheel rotating fwd until stopped by the bolts. There are set of sl55 wheels on it now and literally everything is better about the entire car. So on an rx7 at stock or near enough output, yeah no trouble. But on a two ton teutonic tessie that violates the laws of physics, no freaking way...

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/30/19 9:16 p.m.

The car doesn't know know the difference between 1" spacers and wheels with 1" less offset. With decent wheel studs and proper torque, there's like 60 tons of clamping force between the wheels and the hub. Lots of other stuff is going to fail before those spacers do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4hxbFf31VzOnTmBazw7BFmJpHEqiHa6aiDcxG0dG8akhMFXDU0tb4Gf9ZWGItoKD