ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
6/10/15 8:22 p.m.

Hi guys, I have a really serious buyer for my DD who test drove the car and seems legit. I also have a picture of his driver license. The thing is he needs to arrange his financing and as part of that he asked for a picture of my driver license and the title of the car. It's paid for so I have the title with me.

My question is, is there any risk in sharing a picture of my driver license combined with a picture of the title? Or am I being too paranoid lol??? Thanks guys..

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/10/15 8:35 p.m.

I wouldn't share a picture of both. I'd be willing to show him my license to confirm that I am actually the owner, but wouldn't let him have a picture of it. So I don't think you are being paranoid at all.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/15 8:37 p.m.

Just go to the bank with him. Seems likely the bank could have asked for both photos. They regularly ask for more info than they need.

ZacAutox
ZacAutox New Reader
6/10/15 8:39 p.m.

Seems a bit odd, maybe they've never bought from a private party before?

If you do end up sharing a picture of either, I would black out the relevant info. Basically everything except your name, address and the VIN.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/10/15 8:39 p.m.

Yeah, talk to whomever is financing it to him. Deal directly with them.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/10/15 8:48 p.m.

I think the buyer just wants some assurances.
Copy of title provides buyer assurance that the car is not a branded title and you really own it.
License is requested to assure that the guy offering the test drive matches the guy on the title. Assurance that you are the sole and rightful owner.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
6/10/15 8:54 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I think the buyer just wants some assurances. Copy of title provides buyer assurance that the car is not a branded title and you really own it. License is requested to assure that the guy offering the test drive matches the guy on the title. Assurance that you are the sole and rightful owner.

Is there a risk that these are then used to get a loan from one of those title loan companies??

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/10/15 9:05 p.m.

I have never done a title loan but I would suspect that it requires soc number. Dont provide that.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
6/10/15 9:06 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I have never done a title loan but I would suspect that it requires soc number. Dont provide that.

Make sense..and yeah I will definitely not going to share my driver license..

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/10/15 9:20 p.m.

In my state, Ohio, soc number is not on license.

You have his license but not give him yours?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/11/15 6:31 a.m.

I'm not sure why he needs a pic of your license (or even needs to see it) … I can see the need for the info on the title … his lending agency needs that info (as would his ins. agent)

if his lending agency is local I'd just go with him .. then they can ask you for what ever they need

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
6/11/15 8:30 a.m.

Thanks guys..this gives me some added comfort..the guy is not local so I can't go to his lender..finger crossed all will go smoothly and I can start hunting for my C6..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FgNRbBye91YPlk01bnsdAEhorkG0U7CfXLdnoFWTMr1vZOCRZ8tvzv6dOlKMhUAR