1 2
ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/29/11 10:44 p.m.

say hello to me and old tin and some of other nuts up north in lake county area....and have a drink....

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/17/11 10:13 p.m.

So, just got back, and it was a great time. I managed to fit in Mid-America Motorworks in Effingham, Volo Auto Museum and Northshore Sports Cars.

Mid-America was fun; lots of VW and Corvette stuff. The 54 Vette by the door was amazing. The place was more quiet than it deserved to be, and the staff was super friendly.

Volo was heavy on muscle cars, but I spotted a nice Polo White '54 Vette (I grew up with a '53 in the back yard, so it was really nice to see a very similar car as an adult) what seemed to be an actual Cobra, a '56 Olds 88 (another childhood car) a nice R107 SL, and a late-bumper MGB-GT that has me rethinking my 914 obsession.

North Shore Sportscars had an amazing smell. I love the inventory. I wasn't there long, as this wasn't a museum but a retailer, and I hate being the tire kicker. If I had the means, I certainly would have taken the Europa or the classic three-wheeler for a spin.

Car spotting was fun. I saw what I'd imagine was the same E36 'vert with a hard top twice. I saw a pair of E36 M3s in lightweight garb in southern Illinois. Chicago proper seems to love Maseratis - I spotted at least two every day I was there. Went past the Tesla dealership, but didn't have time to do more than just look in. I also noticed a lot of conversion vans, often with some performance stickers and a sticker from a van club. Of course, all of the SUVs are four wheel drive, much more rust was visible, and personalized plates were evident.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
10/18/11 7:44 a.m.

Illinois ranks third in the nation with personalized plates purchased. I think that's cool. Glad you had a good time.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/18/11 7:47 a.m.

In reply to gjz30075:

We used to be first.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AafWmriLoMGu4uIXQfZEsxJoWkUhKaHZPshSz5q0u337RN1evplcOGziVty8xRof