J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/9/24 2:48 p.m.
feature_image

If you’re a fan of WRC, you’ll undoubtedly recognize the GR Yaris. Yes, us Americans did get the regular Yaris until 2018. Yes, we still have the GR86, GR Corolla and GR Supra. But, isn’t the GR Yaris the ultimate hot hatch? Remember, Toyota designed it for WRC homologation.

Sure, the GR Yaris has the same 300-horsepower three-cylinder as the …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/9/24 4:04 p.m.

Yes, I would rather have the Yaris GR than the Corolla GR but I think I could "suffer" through with the Corolla with out too much trouble. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/9/24 4:21 p.m.

In a reality where Toyota sells both the GR Yaris and GR Corolla here in the U.S., I'm almost certain that dealers would make the Yaris more expensive than the Corolla.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/9/24 5:03 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Yes, I would rather have the Yaris GR than the Corolla GR but I think I could "suffer" through with the Corolla with out too much trouble. 

Agreed. The GR Corolla is definitely not a bad choice. I feel the GR Yaris would be a better deal - it gives you all the performance, and then some, for a better price and less weight.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
4/9/24 6:26 p.m.

Boy...IF it was offered in this country and IF it was offered at $33,000 out the door, that would be one compelling (and truly little) hot hatch.  I'd absolutely love one at that price.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/24 6:28 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Boy...IF I was offered in this country and IF it was offered at $33,000 out the door, that would be one compelling (and truly little) hot hatch.  I'd absolutely love one at that price.

It's a tinny crapbox but it would be OUR tinny crapbox.

I know Toyota likes to call it required for WRC homologation but they never actually say what is homologated.  It's not a hybrid or a four cylinder.

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
4/10/24 12:23 p.m.

Id love to see it, but the dealers in the us would ruin the value of the car. You really need to be able to get on a factory waitlist for these types of cars. 

Lump
Lump New Reader
4/10/24 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It was built to enable a better version o the 2017 WRC car that had to be based on a road car chassis. (Sloping rear roof for better aero over rear wing, bigger cooling openings etc.) The pandemic stopped the WRC car based on the GR Yaris from actually competing as Toyota decided to keep using the one they had. The current Rally1 cars are basically tube framed with more freedoms on body and aero so the gains from the "homologation special" are lost. But they did just start to race the Rally2 spec GR Yaris, 3 Cylinders and all.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/24 4:47 p.m.

I'd like a VW Polo R.

nsxmr2elises2000
nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
4/11/24 10:46 a.m.

Love the GRY

We have 3 that reside locally, all registered south of the border.

Excellent, evo9 replacement

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9GGZJORmOYmAwg83m8yafFrnd3MlDu8Ew3vC2OzlHFQTSCMA5N0nHUf6vM5kuekp