1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/11/14 7:35 a.m.
yupididit wrote: Um some of these cars are never terrible ideas, like the w126 560SEL. Are the e38 and e31 with V8's really that bad?

the E38 V8 and V12 cars, from '97-01 are actually pretty decent cars. OEM parts are not expensive and quite avaialble, the cars are easy to work on if you have to, and the typcial factory problem areas ahve well researched fuixes for them, in order to make them reliable There's quite the community of owners for them, too, over at E38.org and my own site, midatlantic7s.com. I lived with this car for 5 years with only minimla repairs and normal maintenance, which took me from 143k when I bought it, to 185k when I sold it:

The V12 cars are actually even more robust than the V8 cars, with fewer cooling system issues (which are the achilles heel of any BMW). Best ones to get are the '01 Sport models, either in V8 or V12 form, as they have all the latest updates and the better suspension bits (though the V12 and V8 long wheelbas iL Sport models are primarily an appearance package).

As for the Range Rovers, the later P38s are the best. Like Porsches, buy the newest you can afford. They were pretty well sorted by '00/01. I posted the pic of my '01 P38 HSE. It was a great rig, and again, rather eay to work on (though doing the spark plug wires was an ordeal, it can be done in the driveway). At 100k miles, I replaced all 4 airlift bags due to age cracking of the rubber on the originals. Took about 15 minutes per corner with basic hand tools and cost all of $100 per corner.

It was a beast in bad weather:

and it towed our travel tralier all over the east coast and out to Ohio:

THe P38 was the replacement for our '95 County LWB that had a coil spring conversion, and had been the previous tow rig:

Which was in turn the replacement for our $800 beater '88 Classic:

I loved all of them and only had problems with the $800 beater, for obvious reasons. And even then they were minor and never caused it not to run or get me where I was going. I'd have another one (early classic SWB Range Rover) with a painless wiring kit and just manage the rust issues.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
12/11/14 7:54 a.m.

Your E38 makes me want to start searching again...

Obligatory list addition: part of me kind of things an Allante would be interesting...

All the digital gauges....

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
12/11/14 7:55 a.m.

I'm pretty sure this is just turning into another GRM enabling thread. We should rename this thread, enable me: broad-spectrum edition.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
12/11/14 7:59 a.m.

In reply to gearheadE30:

There's a red Allante for sale near me, in the Philly burbs, if you're really serious.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/11/14 8:11 a.m.

I really want to put a bridgeported 13b in a Maserati Biturbo. Or some other engine, I just want a Biturbo.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/11/14 8:25 a.m.

Also:

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/14 8:44 a.m.
bluej wrote:
BradLTL wrote: exhaust manifold
How does THAT go bad??

I'm told (didn't look for myself) that it had a crack in it.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
12/11/14 8:54 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I am always swayed by the "They used to the the top of the line model, but now you can get them for chump change" cars. Audi V8 VW Pheaton 996 era 911 Limited edition Mercs

Wow. I almost bought one OF two of those (either the Phaeton or the C600) this summer. I ended up with the Volt instead...

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 New Reader
12/11/14 9:19 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Wow. I almost bought one OF two of those (either the Phaeton or the C600) this summer. I ended up with the Volt instead...

Give it 10 years and that will be on this list too.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/11/14 11:20 a.m.

Mine would be an E46 M3 because they would be too expensive for me to maintain in the near future.

Another one would be a Delta Integrale because I would need in import parts from Canada or Britain.

I also like these, but I would get a kit car.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
12/11/14 11:24 a.m.

Has this been mentioned yet?

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/11/14 11:38 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
pres589 wrote: I'd think a 318ti would be much better all around forever than the C230. If you need the extra power go find a turbo kit and such. The green interior on the Rover is horrid. I'm serious here. Awful. Otherwise sure why not.
That's not the point, though. I KNOW the 318Ti is a better car. I know the C230 Kompressor sucks. But i'm still drawn to it.

Much better car......the c230 is mostly hampered by its weight(more than a car its size should), its overcomplicated electronics, and anemic engine performance. I considered one for awhile, and every day thank myself I didn't go down that road.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/11/14 11:57 a.m.

Just saw this one at lunch:

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/11/14 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

S5 or RS5? Audi 5's are like friggen Toyota Camry's in the Princeton area - I see tons of them. Damn it's a good looking car. Part of me really wants a simple 2.0T/6 spd version. Like really want.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
12/11/14 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Ian F: Agree, they are great looking cars. Even though I know the 2.0T makes enough power to move around such a heavy car I still think a 3.2 or V8 version would be better.

It surprises me that so many people choose the 2.0T

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/11/14 1:08 p.m.

Actually the one we had here onthe lot was just an A5 2.0T/auto... this one: http://edmartin.com/Indianapolis/For-Sale/Used/Audi/A5/2011-2-0T-Premium-Plus-Gray-Car/34496250/

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/11/14 1:12 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Has this been mentioned yet?

I don't think so, but you've reminded me just how strong the want is there.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/11/14 1:13 p.m.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/11/14 1:17 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: In reply to Ian F: Agree, they are great looking cars. Even though I know the 2.0T makes enough power to move around such a heavy car I still think a 3.2 or V8 version would be better. It surprises me that so many people choose the 2.0T

Go online and price them out and you'll understand why so many 2.0T versions are sold. They start under $40K and with an auto and a few options you're still a good bit under $50K. Big money for most of us here in GRM-world, but pocket change in Princeton. The S is substantially more and the RS an order of magnatude higher. The 4-banger gives you high-end looks for a (relatively) budget price. (edit: it looks like the base price is now $40K - up $2K since I priced them last. Something funky in the Audi site is preventing me from viewing it at work).

For me, the 2.0T is the only way to get a 6MT. All of the other engines are Auto/DSG-only. Of course, all are AWD, but I suppose I could live with that.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/11/14 1:52 p.m.

Chrysler vehicles

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/14 2:16 p.m.

It has been mentioned, but the AllRoad is a real siren for me, with all the same German Car issues. Domestically, this thing:

400 HP factory-Supercharged Mustang. I know I would pour money into it and get arrested for 178 in a 45 zone.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/14 2:28 p.m.
bluej wrote: uh, this.. " 2 for $900 they run ,,,1976 lancia scorpion , same as fiat or alfa - $900" http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/4796816661.html

do not tempt me with such nectar of the gods

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
12/11/14 3:23 p.m.

For me it's the twin turbo 300zx. A gorgeous car with a real headache of an engine. Those cars needed an RB26 right out of the gate.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/11/14 5:41 p.m.

We made it till nearly page 3 before BiTurbo? For shame...

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
12/11/14 5:46 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: We made it till nearly page 3 before BiTurbo? For shame...

It's the first time I've ever been disappointed in this forum.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t3JPeOW2mp28WL3pmZzw3C4iMKJ68bRZL37Ak3upcMmsu6JBxTXCC0NhizGeLiqF