Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
11/21/23 7:26 p.m.

Where do modern Caterhams generally get classified in any of the current time attack type events like Gridlife, SCCA Time Trials, Global Time Attack etc?  The few scraps of info I've been able to find so far suggests that if they're allowed to run at all they get put in one of the faster classes regardless of prep level. (I plan to keep it pretty much as built from the factory though small upgrades may come with time. It will be street licensed.)

Also: will I have to run a full cage or is the roll bar sufficient?  

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
11/21/23 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Msterbee :

With the SCCA some kit cars are classed "lower" (e.g. exocet) - but usually the catch all classes are "unlimited 1/2" - depending on the event these classes can be some of the most OR least competitive since most folks build for the street/tuner/max classes.

I believe it's the same with gridlife. NASA I'm not sure. Respective Facebook groups are usually the fastest way to get this info from the horses mouth.

Generally the requirements for safety will be baked into the class and you can see that on their sites. 

Do you have something built already or are you looking to build something?

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
11/22/23 3:37 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to Msterbee :

With the SCCA some kit cars are classed "lower" (e.g. exocet) - but usually the catch all classes are "unlimited 1/2" - depending on the event these classes can be some of the most OR least competitive since most folks build for the street/tuner/max classes.

I believe it's the same with gridlife. NASA I'm not sure. Respective Facebook groups are usually the fastest way to get this info from the horses mouth.

Generally the requirements for safety will be baked into the class and you can see that on their sites. 

Do you have something built already or are you looking to build something?

A Caterham 420R is at the top of my streetable track car list. A few more car payments on my daily driver and I can pull the trigger on whatever I decide to do.  It will mostly be a track day car but I am investigating doing competitive events too - which is why I'm asking now. 

No rule sets that I've looked through have called it out specifically though they all seem to allow for a catch all or some other kind of option.  I have a feeling if i want definitive answers I will have to contact the relevent sanctioning bodies.  I'm not on social media so that's not an option for me.  

Thanks!

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
11/22/23 4:13 p.m.

In GTAC "Tube chassis, open wheel, factory built race cars, kit cars or club racer cars that may be made street legal are not allowed. (i.e. Radical SR3, Factory 5 818, Ultima GTR, Porsche GT3 Cup)."  Caterham is a slight grey area as being considered a kit car, but most places probably view them as such. 

Gridlife "Open wheel, or tube frame club race cars that may be made street legal are not allowed. (Radical SR3, Factory 5 818, Ultima GTR, Superlite SL-C, ETC are only allowed in the SUPER UNLIMITED Class)." 

You'd probably have to email them specifically.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/22/23 5:53 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Gridlife "Open wheel, or tube frame club race cars that may be made street legal are not allowed. (Radical SR3, Factory 5 818, Ultima GTR, Superlite SL-C, ETC are only allowed in the SUPER UNLIMITED Class)." 

They've had a Caterham run with them before, iirc as an Unlimited entry.  Has to be a Caterham though (i.e. an actual manufacturer, not a kit car, which is the rule that would tend to bump you into Super Unlimited, afaik).

yup, found a picture of it.  You can look up Aric Streeter, and maybe get some insight on it.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
11/23/23 8:47 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:
fatallightning said:

They've had a Caterham run with them before, iirc as an Unlimited entry.  Has to be a Caterham though (i.e. an actual manufacturer, not a kit car, which is the rule that would tend to bump you into Super Unlimited, afaik).

yup, found a picture of it.  You can look up Aric Streeter, and maybe get some insight on it.

That looks like it's been prepared for the unlimited class!!  I don't plan to modify mine much if I go the Caterham route.  It will be plenty fast as it comes from the factory.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/23 2:52 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

IIRC Sevens can run in ST3/TT3 or higher with NASA, but not ST4/TT4 or lower.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGT99SgpgYmZAD420JCO0JcDsnCVFQWxy8f9AgqjZ3DIguSn2gijsP07EBi3jVQm