1 2
evildky
evildky Dork
10/14/08 4:44 p.m.

so broke what and how bad? I pulled and tore down my engine last night, 3 broken pistons, the combustion chambers on both heads are chewed up and I've yet to pull my formerly welded now open diff

so who else is still fixing their challenge car?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/08 4:57 p.m.

I don't count but... I just found a body for the Challenge car in Indiana... It's pimptastic!

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
10/14/08 5:18 p.m.

One piston has a hole through it; all the way through it. A person can only expect the worst when their discount fuel solenoid doesn't open when the 100-shot comes on.

-Les

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/14/08 5:27 p.m.

well, never quite got it running at the challenge but,

• starter rebuilt and now functioning.

-burst-o-matic fuel lines replaced

-MS now seemingly functional

so hopefully this weekend i'll hear it run!

GVX19
GVX19 New Reader
10/14/08 5:41 p.m.

I lost the feeling in 3 toes on my left foot.

Got 30mpg towing 800lb trailer.

Looking for a trans with OD.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
10/14/08 6:08 p.m.

That's funny, I lost the feeling in 3 toes on my left foot, too.

But the next morning I sobered up and it came back.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
10/14/08 6:27 p.m.

I'm kinda' surprised the engine didn't grenade after the throttle stuck on Saturday. My left front drag tire went flat after sitting for a week. Does that count?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/14/08 7:26 p.m.

Just some oil in the sparkplugs, but thats common for the D15, just bought some new seals/grommets and a new valve cover gasket and it's good to go. Took a bunch of co-workers for a ride in it the other they and they are impressed.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/14/08 7:32 p.m.

I'm still working on the aftermath from '07.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
10/14/08 9:05 p.m.

Nothing broke.Photobucket

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
10/14/08 9:33 p.m.

i was wondering why you were gimping around all weekend

evildky
evildky Dork
10/14/08 9:37 p.m.

ouch, that miata showed you who's da boss

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/08 10:19 p.m.

Did you get hit by a Miata or is that a really bad window crank bruise?

evildky
evildky Dork
10/14/08 11:50 p.m.

he didn't get hit by a miata, he hit the miata, thi is the result of the scab maker pllus les, plus a tow rope, plus rollerblades

it worn matt the most spectacular failure award, the video is locted here http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2008-challenge/ scroll down it's way down there

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
10/15/08 4:46 a.m.

Am i the only one who hasn't touched their car since parking it back int eh driveway?

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
10/15/08 7:27 a.m.

The Fiero clutch breathed it's last breath at an autocross the day after the Challenge. I'm assuming it's the factory clutch that was installed 23 years ago. The car lived through The Challenge, and that's all I needed it to do. That'll do pig..that'll do.

Time to retire the Fiero and bring something new, so I started scraping crud off of the '65 Mustang shaped pile of rust in my back yard. Hopefully there is something under all that rust. Seriously.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/08 9:54 a.m.
problemaddict wrote: Am i the only one who hasn't touched their car since parking it back int eh driveway?

nope. i've been planning for my assault on the '09 event, but haven't touched the car. it didn't even make it back into the garage, but the neighbors are cool with that.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/15/08 12:20 p.m.

I'm trying to get my challenge car back to running order in time for this weekends autocross, I already rebuild the short block that came with the car, now I just need to assymble the long block, and if I have time I'll pop a LSD in it

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
10/15/08 1:03 p.m.

I haven't touched the car since we got back. Im still making up (kissing ass) for the lost time with the wife. I do have lots of planning on paper, but I don't think I will have any actual work starting until the end of the month.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
10/15/08 1:20 p.m.
problemaddict wrote: Am i the only one who hasn't touched their car since parking it back int eh driveway?

Nope. The Tracer has been parked snugly in the garage since I got home.

The only post-Challenge carnage was the catastrophic tire failure on the trailer that left the license plate and a tail light somewhere on I75. That makes two years in a row I've had a tire go on the way back from Gainsville.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
10/15/08 2:55 p.m.

Third time's the charm right? At least it was only 7.5 hours back to atlanta, instead of last year's 13. Next year, it'll only take 3 and a quarter.

We auto-xed the s00p3rturd this weekend. It's running waaaay better now, (watch the auto-x video to hear the 5,500 rpm "rev-limiter") though I'm assuming overly lean, as we switched back to the stock injectors. Berkeley it. She'll be beaten to death like the dirty whore she is.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
10/16/08 7:38 a.m.
evildky wrote: I'm trying to get my challenge car back to running order in time for this weekends autocross, I already rebuild the short block that came with the car, now I just need to assymble the long block, and if I have time I'll pop a LSD in it

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing it out there.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
10/16/08 12:56 p.m.

Car still on trailer <<< did clean coolers and tended to sunburn posted vids and slept .

exST165
exST165 New Reader
10/16/08 11:53 p.m.

I waved goodbye as it was taken away by a nice man who is going to turn it into an ice-racer.

Now I'm burning the midnight oil trying to come up with a plan for 2009!

Pseudosport
Pseudosport New Reader
10/17/08 12:50 a.m.

Looks like my Miata definitely showed Matt who's boss. There is so much bondo on that quarter that it must have felt like sliding into a rock. It didn't even dent. picture 016

Other then that I broke the oil feed line to the turbo after the second 1/4 mile pass. Fixed line with propane cooking stove and some solder then broke the banjo bolt. Forced a standard size banjo bolt into a metric hole. Leaked stopped and I made 3 more passes with 9 minutes left till the track closed.

Now that the car is home I drove it to my apt where I could show my friends and the line snapped off dumping over a quart of oil onto the parking lot. I've not moved the car since and I've been parking both my gf's car and mine very close to it so hopefully no one notices.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HiEEQes67EaGHyWNaQzVVHa2dRe99S13YqgOqZRH1zh7Gw77OfUTKBGgdY3kSTah