benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
5/30/10 12:52 p.m.

I see one cheap recaro seat for sale online but am wondering if it would be worth having reupholstered. The seat has a tear in it but otherwise looks in good condition. I figure a 75$ recaro seat doesn't come around too often. The seat comes with patch material, but to get it fixed would be a professional job. I don't want to end up 200$ into a seat that doesn't match but I really would like to get a recaro seat.

The only issue is the color is either black or navy blue and won't match my interior. I've seen beige recaro seats only once so they are rare.

What would you do?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/30/10 12:58 p.m.

Buy it and put a few motorsports themed patches on it.

My Sparco developed a hole in the side bolster. I grabbed a CMS patch from the store room, channeled my inner seamstress and blammo, taken care of.

Per

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
5/30/10 1:20 p.m.

i've seen factory Recarro seats in junkyards. it's one of the few things i like about imports.

i had a set of seats out of an early 90's (i think) Mazda 626 in my Nova. they each had a Recarro tag on them and had adjustable lumbar and side supports. i paid $45 for the pair.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
5/30/10 1:28 p.m.

Hum, this complicates issues. The fact the seat came out of a mercedes is a selling point. I'm going to have to make a seat rail either way. The junkyard is too far away to go to regularly, especially since I busted a foot.

I get to think about it to this afternoon.

Here is the advert.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/1766188579.html

Matt B
Matt B Reader
5/30/10 4:56 p.m.

Cool seat. Might require 2 or 3 patches though.

Something similar might look good in an AW11. Hmmmm.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/30/10 5:04 p.m.

Is the seat electric?
If it is, does it come with the switches? Many MB's have door mounted or center console seat controls.
The seat is perforated leather in the center and smooth leather on the sides. The extra leather included is perforated. Though not perfect for the pattern, it would work and at least provide a color match if not a texture match.

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
5/30/10 5:31 p.m.

Buy it. That would be a cool seat for that price.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/10 8:53 p.m.

That seat needs a lot of work but at $75 I'd buy it. Especially if it comes with the mounting bracket that will fit your car. Buy some 80's vintage sheepskin seat covers for it.

Offer $50 and see what happens.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
5/30/10 9:06 p.m.

I think I'm going to pass. For the 200$ I'd end up into having it fixed I'd still have a navy blue seat that doesn't match. I'm going to wait for a pair.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
5/31/10 7:21 a.m.

i've seen cooler OEM recaros in better condition for less.

i bought one for 10$ one time. its in my attic. i'll find a use for it..

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
5/31/10 8:19 a.m.

I recently bought a pair that are covered in a kind of corduroy material. $70 for the pair and not a tear or mark on them. They'll become chairs in my den as soon as I find appropriate office chairs to supply frames

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uXCmKFujiN53XT94haVjroTLTrL5XSl3Ov5W23bQc4Y7Vxxc97O8vvJEIFIkdAFg