DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/3/09 8:30 a.m.

Since the Civic is "finished" I've been cleaning the basement. Part of that is better tool organization / populating the bigger tool box. I've had a pretty good socket set for the past 15 years or so, but it came in one of those blow molded plastic cases and it gave up the ghost long ago. I hate all of the drawer organizers I've seen, so I decided to make my own.

Ingredients:

2' x 2' sheet of 1/4" plywood. I got a nice piece of cabinet grade stuff for $7.

1/4" x 36" dowel

3/8" x 36" dowel

1/2" x 36" dowel

Varnish

A few hours organizing, drilling, gluing, and staining later and we have this -

I like it better than store bought options and have maybe $20 in it.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/09 8:31 a.m.

organization for the anal retentive toolbox!

i leave all my sockets on rails so i can bring the set to what i'm working on.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
2/3/09 8:44 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i leave all my sockets on rails so i can bring the set to what i'm working on.

I do the same thing. A rail of metric's, a rail of SAE. A rail of 1/2" drives.....

Although your board looks really nice. Great job.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/3/09 8:49 a.m.

I like that Idea...I may have to steal it :)

I have something like 4,000 sockets I got at an estate sale.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
2/3/09 9:13 a.m.

I've seen the same thing in plastic. Yours is MUCH nicer. Also, I think the one I saw was about the same price.

DILYSI Dave wrote: Since the Civic is "finished" I've been cleaning the basement. Part of that is better tool organization / populating the bigger tool box. I've had a pretty good socket set for the past 15 years or so, but it came in one of those blow molded plastic cases and it gave up the ghost long ago. I hate all of the drawer organizers I've seen, so I decided to make my own. Ingredients: 2' x 2' sheet of 1/4" plywood. I got a nice piece of cabinet grade stuff for $7. 1/4" x 36" dowel 3/8" x 36" dowel 1/2" x 36" dowel Varnish A few hours organizing, drilling, gluing, and staining later and we have this - I like it better than store bought options and have maybe $20 in it.
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
2/3/09 9:17 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I like that Idea...I may have to steal it :) I have something like 4,000 sockets I got at an estate sale.

that is a lot

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/3/09 9:20 a.m.
pete240z wrote:
patgizz wrote: i leave all my sockets on rails so i can bring the set to what i'm working on.
I do the same thing. A rail of metric's, a rail of SAE. A rail of 1/2" drives..... Although your board looks really nice. Great job.

I've tried the rails. Don't like them. They are a lot more transportable than this, though this box pretty much lives in the workshop. I've got a traveling box with a separate small set that goes to events, junkyards, etc.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
2/3/09 10:15 a.m.

Dave, that's great. Looks incredible. (much nicer than the plastic alternatives.)

I use socket rails for now, but don't like them. I might make use of this idea if I'm finding myself unable to focus on a project at hand. Thanks for sharing!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/09 11:09 a.m.

I have a 2"x1/4"x48" magnet that I throw my sockets at ;)

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
2/3/09 11:59 a.m.

SECKS. Even the color combination is hawt. Maybe one day your kids can hire my kids to frame the display in a shadowbox.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/3/09 12:19 p.m.

Looks great, Dave!

I leave my stuff in those plastic snap in things Craftsman uses so I can carry a selection to my project. That way I don't spend all my time wandering back and forth to the tool box.

My 'travel box' is, in short, a bloody mess. Everything just gets thrown into the bottom.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/3/09 12:56 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: I like that Idea...I may have to steal it :) I have something like 4,000 sockets I got at an estate sale.
that is a lot

gets worse.....only paid $12 for the lot

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/09 6:37 p.m.

When what you make for your toolbox looks better then what most people make with their tools, you know you've made it.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
2/3/09 8:03 p.m.

Cool! What are you going to do for the screw drivers and wrenches?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
2/4/09 5:16 a.m.

I likey!! Good job.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/4/09 8:21 a.m.
Carson wrote: Cool! What are you going to do for the screw drivers and wrenches?

Throw them in a drawer!

One of the advantages of the new box is more drawers though, so I can seperate flat head and phillips, metric and english, etc.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/09 8:26 a.m.

Dave you puss.

Build a nice matching "L" bracket that holds the drivers and locks in when the top closes.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/09 8:47 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
that is a lot
gets worse.....only paid $12 for the lot

Sell them to me for $60 +shipping. Not every day that you get a ROI like that.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
2/4/09 11:02 a.m.

super cool ,, we get junk car tool socket sets and have to banish them as not to contaminate our regular box. Nice idea just counted 18 3/8 socket wrenchs

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/6/09 5:57 p.m.

I have to bump this..... presenting my newly organized drawer.

Gotta love having a retired dad looking for woodworking projects

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/7/09 5:29 a.m.

Pretty work, not for me. I also am a rail guy.

Walking back and forth between the car and the box for a socket change drives me nuts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lGkH4XPueefdHsdbpLojsArbqsjKfD98xM5hsmvu8B70DpQOf4ZfqHapzomBAbae