1 2 3 4 5 6
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/29/15 7:37 p.m.
patgizz wrote: officer trooper inspector gadget said if he didn't believe that we were telling the truth that it has to have been replaced sometime in the first 18k miles of life prior to it's history in the family, he could have taken the truck.

Wow. That sounds fairly extreme.

Also sounds unlikely. I have to remind myself frequently that it is completely legal for police to lie to me about pretty much anything they want to.

But, I do get your point. They are tough.

wilcoxl
wilcoxl New Reader
11/29/15 8:31 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

there will be bonus points for crushing the car in Miami. My brother and I discussed this rule over Turkey dinner.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/30/15 4:26 p.m.

This whole trip has caused some fun thoughts. The Q45 pictured no only needs some work and tires but may (or may not) be hampered by some title issues that I'll admit I am not sure of or how they work.

My other thought is to buy something that can still be driven to the junkyard. In this case, the junkyard just happens to be about 1,600 miles away. That is 300 miles from my house to Chicago then another 1,300 to Miami (if driving direct) so lets just say I need a car that can go another 2,000 miles before junk.

I have been looking at CL and I think the answer has to be...body damage!
Sample: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5328920279.html
Asking $500 could mean $250 since scrap is low.
I am hoping that this one was running and driving fine right up to the point of impact.

Wire in some trailer lights to the back and I bet this boat will still float down the road.
You think that is a faux convertible top...just you wait.

Of course, I do wonder, how did Luke and Brother (I'll call him Bo) get that far away and not run into any "unsafe vehicle" charges, tickets or impoundings. If I had a Caddy coupe with a crushed rear end and a chopped top I suspect it would look as dangerous as it likely really is thereby drawing unhealthy attention.
The CRX Chopped at least has an air of "sportiness" and "purpose" (though it may not be immediately evident what that purpose is.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/30/15 4:37 p.m.

2006 Subaru H6, L.L.Bean version w/150k miles suffered a low speed roll over.
Asking $1,500 is a lot more but a lot nicer.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5332255301.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/30/15 10:31 p.m.

Hell, I'd buy that for a daily.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/1/15 6:31 a.m.

John are you and Jonathan in? I am pretty sure I will be flying up in March. We need to get Andrew on board even if the Q45 won't work due to the title issues, I am sure we can talk him into buying something else.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/1/15 7:29 a.m.

Here's my original dream scenario:
Andrew drives the Q45 six hours to my house and we continue the five hours to Chicago.
Jeremy and Cal buddy fly into Chicago.
Rally point at Robbie's house where we cut the roof off the Q45.
As a 4 man team we take on the challenge in the Q45.
Robbie and trusty co-driver take on the challenge in the 750iL.

Other option:
Andrew flies to Chicago as well and I arrive at Robbie's with something similar to a dented Caddy Coupe.

Further thoughts:
If I bring a car, after Miami that car could be driven back to Jax for Jeremy to dispose of. I would likely drive with you back to Jax and then fly from there (or rent a one-way Hertz from there.)

I know that Jonathon would like to go but since he works for me. the trip would be somewhat easier for me if I could have him back home handling some of the day-to-day. I could cover that from the road if needed; just not as easy. If Jonathon were to join, we might be able to run this as three teams of two or any other wild scenarios.
If Cal buddy drops out, we could plug Jonathon in.
Does Andrew have a buddy who might join?
Will Robbie's buddy go?
Lots of options.

My biggest reserve to this whole challenge is that this is really a challenge of "the elements."
It could be down right cold and nasty in Chicago that time of year. Once in the deep South; not so much of an issue but that is an 8 hour drive out of Chicago before you get that far. This is also why I would recommend that Andrew actually chop the top at Robbie's. That would keep Andrew out of the elements for the 11+ hours driving from York, PA to Chicago.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
12/1/15 8:11 a.m.

Maybe I'll just put bring the LS400.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/1/15 8:16 a.m.

That could be awesome!
It is pretty much weather proofed.

I'll bet you can leave it at Jeremys, indefinitely, after the event

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
12/1/15 8:33 a.m.

Fly and drive would be the best option for me but I've done crazier things so who knows. Still a long ways off.

I'd be happier if this was just a convertible challenge, just driving with the top down.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/1/15 9:27 a.m.

Ok, I love these plans! however, I am up against a few challenges that need to be overcome in the meantime.

1. (the biggest) timing is rough for me, because when april 1 rolls around next year my wife and I will have a 19 month old son, and my wife will be 8 months pregnant with our second. She agreed last night to work with me on it, but I feel awful just leaving her for almost a week by herself in that situation. I may be able to bring my inlaws (or her best out-of-town friends) in for the weekend or something though, so that might work.
  2. the BMW will need some work I think. Definitely needs seats (as I stole one for my office chair and I sold some parts off the other), the old racing seats in the back would work, but they need fabbed mounts (I can do) and they will be hell to sit in for 20+ hours (not sure I can do). The BMW also needs a new center support bearing at the minimum, and a new driveshaft at the maximum (I think dodgy u joints are causing center support bearings to fail at a high rate).
  3. haven't talked to my buddy yet. Want to get him good and drunk before I spring the idea.

Other ideas to add to the mix (and possibly solve some above problems).

1. I do have a $250 saab 9-3 also sitting in the driveway. As soon as I button up the power steering and pop a new exhaust (or re-weld up the old one) on it it should be real close to ready to go. I would be willing to take this if needed or I would be willing to let another team buy it off me and take it. It does have heated seats and they do work.
  2. Whether I can go or not, I plan on attending the start party, and I welcome any and all participants to my house for last minute work/tools/beer/hotdogs or a spot to crash before the event.
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/1/15 10:01 a.m.

I was thinking of the fly and drive option as well. Either into Sandusky or Chicago.

Is Robbie in chicago? That could make this much easier.

My buddy is pretty much 100% in if I decide to go. He has done two far more ridiculous rallies over the years so this should be child's play.

Maybe you and Andrew could team up with something easier to tag and title. I also agree that removing roof / windshield in Chicago is the smartest option.

Robbie
12/1/15 10:20 a.m.

yep, I'm in chicago. (REALLY south suburbs, but still considered "chicago").

Basically ten minutes south of i-80 and a stone's throw from the indiana border. Really easy if you are driving in from indiana/ohio/michigan/anywhere east.

45 minutes from Midway airport and 55 from O'hare.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/1/15 3:31 p.m.

Robbie,
If your wife will be only 4 weeks out from the poppin' fresh date, it's pretty hard to recommend that you travel by questionable means with less than perfect assurances of getting home quickly.

However, it would still be good to see you and make a rally point out of your place or near.
Intrigued by the prospect of the Saab!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/1/15 3:39 p.m.

Dude, south of I80 is concidered Southern Illinois.

Robbie
12/1/15 4:04 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Dude, south of I80 is concidered Southern Illinois.

Can you please call my property tax collector and let them know? haha.

Robbie
12/1/15 4:11 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Robbie, If your wife will be only 4 weeks out from the poppin' fresh date, it's pretty hard to recommend that you travel by questionable means with less than perfect assurances of getting home quickly. However, it would still be good to see you and make a rally point out of your place or near. Intrigued by the prospect of the Saab!

You of course are right, which is probably why she looks at me like I'm a child when I talk to her about it. Don't count me out yet, but time will tell.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/1/15 4:19 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Dude, south of I80 is concidered Southern Illinois.

Beat me to it.

Question on the rules: "1. Your vehicle must be one that was not offered from the factory with a convertible option. The vehicle must have no top and no windshield. "

Does that mean that if you could get the car as a convertible, that entire model is out? For instance, I could get a Sebring sedan or a Sebring convertible. Is the sedan out then? Or did this just mean that convertibles are not fair game?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/1/15 4:25 p.m.

Also, you might want to re-consider or re-word the windshield bit. It is legally required in Illinois. Now, I don't think that there are any rules regarding how big it needs to be--this one was legal in Texas:

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
12/1/15 5:19 p.m.

How many -points will I get for showing up in a Miata with just no top? The feeling that it is still a bit on the crazy side but I can put the top on and use it once I get back home.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/1/15 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

The only way this should be allowed is if you are required to wear only shorts and a wife beater north of Georgia and a ski suit south of there till Miami. Top down the entire time

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
12/1/15 10:19 p.m.

I think I live REALLY close to Robbie. anyone that needs assistance setting something up for this, let me know...we've got multiple lifts, all fab facilities to build stuff, etc. I forget to check here a lot, so adamjabaay@gmail or adam@gridlife.co

Robbie
12/2/15 8:27 a.m.
redzcstandardhatch wrote: I think I live REALLY close to Robbie. anyone that needs assistance setting something up for this, let me know...we've got multiple lifts, all fab facilities to build stuff, etc. I forget to check here a lot, so adamjabaay@gmail or adam@gridlife.co

we do live REALLY close, especially in Chicagoland terms. We should grab a beer - I'll send you an email.

wilcoxl
wilcoxl New Reader
12/3/15 7:04 a.m.

We only got pulled over once in the Chop Top CRX (I think in Nashville) for not having any taillights. The officer said something like "I don't know what this is, but you can't be driving without taillights". We gave him the classic line "it must just be a fuse...we will take care of it" and he sent us on our way. Didn't even check my driver's license or insurance.

We went to Walmart and bought "Red LED strip lights" for $19 and no trouble with the cops for the rest of the trip.

Wearing helmets made it very clear that we value safety.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/15 7:17 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I was thinking of the fly and drive option as well. Either into Sandusky or Chicago.

lol fly into sandusky.

if you fly in to cleveland or akron (CAK) i'll pick you up and get you to john's place. bonus points for flying to akron and stopping at summit racing on the way back.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dunxTuRKDAnRTBWtFZgKbMIEbe4UGRvGRkjxBueqiF2FC0YiWbg7jBltpPVbS4SQ