carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
11/10/11 10:24 a.m.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2679212604.html

I have been seeing this car listed now for the past several weeks. I didn't pay much attention at first, but the price has slowly gone down a fair amount. I was thinking this would make a decent DD and fun play car. Has anyone in the Northern -Cal area taken a look at this car?

Does this sound like a good deal? If not, what does everyone think is a fair price for one of these? What do I need to be looking for if I go check it out? Any special items that are unique to the MR2?

Lastly, I have heard that these have more headroom than a miata, is that true? I am a tall guy (6'-4", long torso)

Winston
Winston Reader
11/10/11 10:33 a.m.

Seems like a fair price if it's in nice shape, though that color is kinda blah in anything but direct sunlight and I'd rather have a hardtop or sunroof car.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/10/11 10:35 a.m.

i'm your height (and prob fatter) and fit in a mkII pretty well

the NA isn't really fast but it doesn't feel slow thanks to the torque

my experience with the mkII stops there... check out mr2oc.com

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/11 10:36 a.m.

IIRC, the hardtops are harder models to find. It's too curvy for me, not enough straight lines and angles.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
11/10/11 10:39 a.m.

Fun cars that handle well stock. My friend has one with a v6 swapped in it and its a lot blast.

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
11/10/11 10:45 a.m.

Fun cars, great mileage and a body you never get tired of looking at. Price still seems a little high. For 2500 -3000 it is a deal. Check out the interior, seats tend to wear out. The engine is pretty tough but cooling system needs to be bled regularly. Run for a while with the air on and see if it gets hot.

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
11/10/11 10:57 a.m.

Thanks for the tip in the cooling system. I have always wondered about the service/maintenance on a mid-engine car like this.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
11/10/11 10:59 a.m.

If the JDM ones share the seat/rails as the USDM ones then you may have clearance issues. I wasn't able to fit in my friends SW20 without reclining the seat way past what is considered normal. I'm 6'2" with long legs for reference.

In the summer with the t-top open and the seat in it's standard upright position, my line of sight was directly in line at the top windshield frame.

That being said, I would still buy one in a heartbeat if I needed a fuel efficient DD. Dropped seat rails and aftermarket seats and the problem goes away.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/10/11 11:16 a.m.

What a sexy car. One of the few cars built in the 90's that's going to look great forever. The Corrado is another one.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
11/10/11 11:20 a.m.

I sold my '91 NA hardtop to a guy that was 6'4", and he fit fine. In fact, they came to look at my 944 turbo for his friend, and he left with my MR2 even though it wasn't for sale. Claimed it was one of the only sports cars that he really fit in.

The price on that seems pretty good, and it looks just like my old Turbo version.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
11/10/11 11:25 a.m.

Sigh...memories. That is exactly like the one I had, same year, color, etc...

Great "GT" car. Quick, not fast. Sporty handling, but not quite as go cart like as the MK1. Damn near unbreakable. T-tops were prone to leak as the seals got old. Check to see how well it's been kept up. A lot of them wound up in the hands of kids who beat them and slapped them together with Pep Boys upgrades.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/10/11 11:41 a.m.

Spotted a cute girl driving a black SW20 in town today. She was blonde, and wore glasses. The car had tasteful wheels and a nice exhaust note. Not sure if any of this is particularly helpful

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
11/10/11 12:03 p.m.

Going to give the guy at call at lunch, we'll see what happens?

Any area I should pay extra attention to, in terms of wear/ issues? Or just the standard stuff that comes with a 20yr old toyota?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/10/11 12:05 p.m.
carczar_84 wrote: Going to give the guy at call at lunch, we'll see what happens? Any area I should pay extra attention to, in terms of wear/ issues? Or just the standard stuff that comes with a 20yr old toyota?

Standard stuff. Rust and oil leaks.

It'll probably leak oil. Up to you how much you care.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
11/10/11 12:15 p.m.

Yeah, that is not the most leak free motor ever, I think some British guy must have had something to do with it.

Standard Toyota stuff really. The motor is shared with the Camry, no real vices other than oil leaks. Car-wise, abuse is what claimed most of these. Seat bolsters wear, and wiring can suffer from previous stereo installs.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/10/11 12:17 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Yeah, that is not the most leak free motor ever, I think some British guy must have had something to do with it. Standard Toyota stuff really. The motor is shared with the Camry, no real vices other than oil leaks. Car-wise, abuse is what claimed most of these. Seat bolsters wear, and wiring can suffer from previous stereo installs.

Can suffer, but shouldn't.... there's PNP jumper harnesses out there for this car for cheap.

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
11/11/11 6:23 a.m.

I say buy it. I paid more than that for my 96 celica gt. Would've bought an mr2 n/a with that low of miles in a heartbeat if there had been one in my area a year ago.

carczar_84
carczar_84 New Reader
11/11/11 8:08 a.m.

Well, I have left him a message, and sent him an email with a few more questions. Just waiting to here back now. I will let you all know what comes of it.

It sure would be nice to not have to drive the gas sucking truck every day to work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MfUy13PKhIfa2mbTDE886e6x270RoptcKCGLcbgH3xO3dfEAS69UOhIrKlaI9f3C