1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/13 7:35 p.m.

Any experienced Mini wrenches out there? I'm trying to pull the clutch and flywheel off so I can get to the transmission. But it's resisting. I've read about smacking the puller with a hammer, about heat, PB blaster, etc - any tips I'm not seeing? I've tried everything but heat so far, because all I have is a propane torch. Verto type if that matters.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
10/1/13 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

When we rebuilt my nephews 1275cc we borrowed a home made puller from a long time Brit car mechanic. It was seriously almost an inch thick plate and the "pusher" bolt was close to 5\8" or maybe even 3/4" diameter. We tried all of the regular "parts store" type pullers and that flywheel wouldn't budge! Jimmy made this monster puller specifically for mini's many moons ago. It worked on both verto and pre verto engines/trans. It also took every once of pressure our compressor could pump, and IIRC a 700 ft lb gun. I'm sure you have the big guns and lots of PSI, but if you find yourself in a real jam and completely unable to get yours free, I can put you in contact with him, and see if he'll send it your way on loan... Good luck and don't be afraid to be mean to it. I don't think even heat would've done much, it just needed LOTS of torque to get it free.

Paul

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 9:56 a.m.

I've heard of these massive pullers. I'll borrow a big gun from one of the techs at work (my home one is only in the 300 lb range) and see what happens. I may come back to you for that puller unless I decide to build my own. Thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/2/13 10:22 a.m.

Remember to grease the threads on the puller bolt with extreme pressure grease, one less thing fighting you.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 10:28 a.m.

Naturally.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 10:30 a.m.

I have a mini-specific flywheel puller. Ican send it out today, if I can track it down. Crankshaft position is important. #1 should be at TDC. There is a C-clip on tail of the crank, to retain the primary gear. It can get caught groove in the flywheel. It is possible that it can be assembled upside down, requiring the crank to be rotated 180°. Then it just becomes a matter of using the BFI method.

It's also possible that the flywheel has welded itself to the crank.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 10:46 a.m.

MiniDriver, is that the case with a Verto clutch as well or just the older ones? I've got a couple of Haynes manuals, they don't seem to acknowledge this C-clip for a Verto and there are no "A" markings anywhere. On the Verto, I've seen reference to the slot in the crank being horizontal, which it is. I'll check TDC.

This car has been previously molested, but by guys who hopefully know what they're doing.

MTIRacing
MTIRacing New Reader
10/2/13 10:54 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Naturally.

So cool and collected..

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 10:56 a.m.

I'm not sure about the c-clip and Verto wheels, but the clip pertains to primary gear, not the flywheel.

I haven't had a welded flywheel, but I have had to use the heat wrench a few times around the hub, with as much torque on the puller that I could muster.

Be sure to keep the bolt in the camshaft, until the flywheel us freed.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 11:27 a.m.

Camshaft? I'm going to have to take a much closer look at this. I was just following directions in the Haynes restoration manual. Do this, do that. No mention of camshafts or C-clips for a Verto, lots of discussion of C-clips for a pre-Verto.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 11:30 a.m.

Doh! CRANKshaft. Stupid Swype spell check.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 11:58 a.m.

C-clip on crankshaft, primary gear off for clarity (it would be behind the clip)

How it can lodge in the flywheel.

Now, I don't have any hands-on experience with Verto flywheels, so I don't know if it has the lip to catch on, but I'm pretty sure the c-clip is there.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 12:01 p.m.

I'll see if I can confirm or deny the positioning of this clip. The "A" markings are absent on the clutch so it's just a matter of hoping it was installed at TDC if it's there.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 12:28 p.m.

The clip can only go on two ways - correctly or 180° out. The slots for it are in the crankshaft.

If the end of the crank and hub of the flywheel have a big slot, and the washer has a big tab, the flywheel should only fit one, as the slot/tab are off center.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 12:32 p.m.

And sorry this is coming in bits and pieces. I'm going from foggy memory. I haven't been inside a mini lump for about eight years.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 12:45 p.m.

FYI, here are some pictures of the two setups. Looks as if the Verto has a much larger ID where it joins the crank.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/5131-clutches-the-different-types-used/

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/2/13 1:07 p.m.

had a similar issue with the clutch on my mini. Took a month to remove. Used a mini specific puller, with heat on the flywheel and a hammer. Damn thing didn't want to let go. It had "fretted". Basically welding itself to the shaft. Not fun. Not fun at all. Mini specific puller threads into the flywheel, not very expensive from mini mania. Comes with bolts that thread in to the flywheel of both a regular and verto flywheel setup. Make sure you replace the seal while you are in there and get the updated type.

Keith Tanner
10/2/13 1:14 p.m.

I've got Grade 8 bolts threaded into the flywheel, that's covered.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 1:19 p.m.

Hmmm, looks like old style concerns don't apply to the Verto clutch. I'm guessing a proper puller, heat, BFH and BFI are all you'd need.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/2/13 1:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I've got Grade 8 bolts threaded into the flywheel, that's covered.

If a puller is threaded in there, then map gas heat worked for me. I killed my flywheel in the process and I think if yours is this stuck you'll find that yours is going to me ugly at its mating surface. Map gas heat, and a few heating and cooling cycles with a big ass hammer. A few beers help. If the engine is in the car, make sure it's up enough so you can hammer the center of the puller. It'll be easier if you completely pull the motor or have a removable front end.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
10/2/13 1:32 p.m.

Wouldn't (to a degree of doing anything appreciable) heat here be a bad idea on account of potentially screwing up heat treat on the crank?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
10/2/13 1:34 p.m.

Crank shouldn't get a ton of heat. Difference in heat from the flywheel to the crank is the goal.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/2/13 1:35 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Wouldn't (to a degree of doing anything appreciable) heat here be a bad idea on account of potentially screwing up heat treat on the crank?

We're not talking cherry red heat. Just enough to expand it a bit. Cycling heat and cool shouldn't affect it. I've heard of it being done on plenty of minis.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
10/4/13 1:46 a.m.

Have you had success, yet? I found some videos of Verto flywheel removal. http://cooperroadmini.com/2012/12/09/removing-a-mini-cooper-verto-flywheel/

Also, I read that they can be harder to remove than pre-Verto flywheels.

Keith Tanner
10/4/13 9:58 a.m.

Not yet. I hit it with a bigger air gun last night without any luck. Diagrams confirmed that there is indeed a c-clip in there, but there's no way to tell what the correct orientation is. I'll check that video out tonight and see what it says.

I can't wait to see how this is all put together inside. It's weird.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hvBl584IiRFWAvtK7drntusWqRwmEBRc0tX1we0Ff0Cf8pLZlR1SdJZwFgpAOLVT