sporqster
sporqster Reader
2/11/13 10:10 a.m.

Anyone on here tried one of these nanotech ultra hydrophobic coatings I've been hearing about? Can anyone confirm they work as advertised, and what's the catch?
http://www.ultraeverdrystore.com/
http://www.neverwet.com/

Color me skeptical. These seem too awesome to not be really common.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 10:20 a.m.

None to cheap is it.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/11/13 10:27 a.m.

Yeah, $4 a square foot ain't the most expensive thing in the world, but it ain't the cheapest either. The second site doesn't even list a cost, which means it's probably in the realm of "if you have to ask."

sporqster
sporqster Reader
2/11/13 10:34 a.m.

^^cheaper than most automotive coatings. I wonder how far a quart will stretch. How weird would it be to go mudding and come out the other side of the woods ready for concours?!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
2/11/13 10:54 a.m.

It would be an interesting undercoating over a layer of rubberized coating.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/11/13 11:08 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: None too cheap is it.

Have you priced automotive paint?

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/11/13 11:17 a.m.

My brother works for a nano-coating company. They make a lot of products for Oakley lenses. They also coat the inside of NASCAR and INDY transmissions. I believe it's about $2K (minimum charge) for a trans.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
2/11/13 11:39 a.m.

Wonder if you could apply it to glass? Imagine permanent RainX on all of your windows.....

-Rob

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/13 12:12 p.m.

Ultra Ever-Dry is about $200 minimum, it's a 2 part paint process that comes by the quart. Super cool stuff. But they warn that it can wear off fast with repeated skin contact... I don't feel too comfortable about that.

Nerd Moment: Reminds me of Dune when they add the water to the hidden reservoir..

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
2/11/13 2:12 p.m.

It can be washed off with high presure or soap....then why spend all that $$?

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/11/13 2:18 p.m.

Depending on what you're trying to coat, something cheaper that might work:

Plasti Dip your car

Rattle cans and larger volumes. I have a wheel kit on it's way, and used a rattle can on front and rear emblems this weekend. Pretty cool stuff, and the excess peeled off like rubber sheeting.

11110000 Reader
2/11/13 3:29 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: Wonder if you could apply it to glass? Imagine permanent RainX on all of your windows..... -Rob

My '06 Volvo has that.

Water Resistant Glass

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/11/13 3:38 p.m.

No it doesn't. Not since 2012.

"The WRG chemical must be replaced on the vehicle after every six years."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MmKoeUyrcqJ4ZTy4f1XGiMFhv883jZc1r4ZEdYcPejmjw9cMBD104NeRkkXSgHjW