1 ... 6 7 8
Opti
Opti UltraDork
9/23/24 6:43 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Nope not at all. In my experience many people are okay with restrictions until it applies to them specifically and generally it's too late at that point. 

I was only trying to follow the same logic the EPA is using, and apply it to something that most of this board would be guilty of and see if they still supported it.

Opti
Opti UltraDork
9/23/24 6:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Opti :

That's quite possible. They haven't taken the steps to prove that they are compliant, therefore they are not. Burden of proof is on the vendor. I'd love to know actual numbers of what percentage of their cats fall under this category.

I'm told they do quite a bit of testing on aftermarket cats, and some of their findings are quite surprising, including warranty rate, and not in the good direction.

I haven't seen the testing myself, so I can only say the things he's shared with me, but I have pretty strong opinions on what brands and models I would put aftermarket cats on then the very few aftermarket brands I would use.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/24 7:25 p.m.

In reply to roninsoldier83 :

They don't steal cats to resell.  It is Federally illegal to install a used converter.

They steal cats to sell for scrap.  You can get $200-300 per converter.  Easy money if you have a Sawzall and no sense of morality.  And it takes less time than stripping the aluminum siding from a house or taking an A/C unit.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/23/24 8:52 p.m.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/24 11:33 p.m.

I grew up during the leaded gasoline era and my dad would warm up his car in the garage during the winter with the garage door open. I loved standing in the plume of lead filled exhaust and breath in the sweet smell of burned leaded gasoline. smiley (cough cough)

I recently was shocked to find out that some auto racing and piston airplane gasoline still has lead in it.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ffJ8oEC3Z4I1lfQ4VC82RdoXqnDUZ36SBUKWQm9HxPgpoksDat9uDhHFEG9WVNw