1 2
OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 10:21 a.m.

Currently driving a beater '90 NA as a DD, and I can't have anyone else in the car because of the lack of A/C, the noise, the suspension, torn seats, the list goes on.

Gave myself a budget of 10k (cash) for a designated DD, and I will be keeping the NA for now. I am bouncing back and forth between a nicer NA, like a collectible (BRG, M-edition, B&T, LE, etc), or just a clean, higher-packaged car with cruise, power windows, and torsen. Prefer hard-top to be included, otherwise will be purchased separately. The other option I considered was a 2005-2010 NC for under 10k, hardtop not necessary.

For the clean/collectible NA:

Advantages

-Either appreciating or holding value

-"Cool" factor of driving 18-25 year old car

-Already familiar with NA, have tow hitch already

-Easiest fit (6'4"), familiar with tall mods

-More raw, sensation of speed, lighter

Disadvantages

-Noiser

-Less comfortable

-Hard to keep clean and keep off mileage (if collectible). Also live on gravel road

-Worry about door dings, rock chips, parking lot damage, etc

For the NC:

Advantages

-Better place to be for 45 min (15 mile) commute

-Faster

-Modern amenities

-Easier to find clean examples

Disadvantages

-Depreciation

-Less raw feeling (solved by keeping the NA)

-Hardtop is more expensive if I decide to go that route

-Fit is a little tighter, but do-able

-More expensive, would budget 5-6k for NA, 10k for NC

I am not currently autocrossing or doing anything else with the NA, I just enjoy the car for daily driving and romping around the countryside. I'd love to hear what choices y'all would make between these two.

And, of course...did I miss another car in this category? (I know, I know...S2000. I don't fit.)

E36 M3, E46 ZHP, Mazdaspeed3, I've considered. I'd like to avoid paying for or doing extensive repair/maintenance on my DD at this point, but if my worries are unfounded, I'd consider those or others.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
2/11/15 10:33 a.m.

Having driven both an NA and an NB as a DD, the choice always comes down to one key thing...

Which car do YOU like better.

You can DD anything- get the car you like better.

(BTW, which car is faster is irrelevant- 70mph is the same... quicker could be used, but not faster)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/11/15 10:35 a.m.

2 years ago I might have had a different answer. But after DDing an NB for 5 years, I'm firmly in the NC camp at this point IF I only had 1 car and drove it daily. Length of commute, type of commute, and area of country all could change that though.

Alternatively, buy my collectible NB with hardtop and trailer. 1999, 10AE. Inquire for details.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/11/15 10:39 a.m.

To me, that's a no brainer. For a true DD, I'd go NC all the way (they started in '06). I've had 5 NA's and also had an NC I used as a daily driver. Keith will tell you the stock suspension in '06 was crap, and I'd have no reason to argue that point. However, I used mine as a DD only and never autox'd or tracked it, so it was fine for me. The NC is much more comfortable for long drives, is quicker, has more comforts and will be newer. It's much better on the highway. It's not quite as go-kartish as the NA, but it's still a lot of fun. I'm only comparing the NA to the NC and not factoring in any of the other cars you mentioned, such as the MS3, etc... To me, the NA is a weekend toy. The NC is a viable daily commuter, as long as you can live with only 2 seats and limited cargo room.

My only caution about the NC is to make sure you like the seats. I hated the seats in my NC when I first got it. I grew to get used to them, but never "liked" them.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/11/15 10:43 a.m.

I daily an 08 GT. Love it. Way better DD than my 96 ever was, even with the hard top.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/15 10:58 a.m.

I'm with Alfadriver - get the one you like.

For me, that's a fairly heavily modified NA. Not modified as in "stripped out with 700 lb springs", but it's got a range of tweaks that are aimed at making it a better daily driver. A lot of them aren't ones you can buy out of a catalog. It's nowhere near a beater. Because it's effectively a custom car by this point, it suits my needs very well.

It's fun to borrow an NC occasionally for my commute, especially if it has been ruined with an antique pushrod engine The stock NC engine doesn't do anything for me, it's low on character. But the PRHT means I'm far more likely to drive with the top down than my hardtop-only NA, and it's kind of nice having automatic climate control. So it's certainly an easy option.

Then again, I drove to work today in a 30-year-old Honda.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/11/15 11:23 a.m.

Take $10k cash budget, sell current NA, take combined money and buy S2000 (or solstice), live happily ever after?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/11/15 11:45 a.m.

I do not fit in an S2k or a Solstice for anything like a DD. I'm 6'2".

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 11:57 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Take $10k cash budget, sell current NA, take combined money and buy S2000 (or solstice), live happily ever after?

"(I know, I know...S2000. I don't fit.)"

And I'm more than a little upset about that.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
2/11/15 12:11 p.m.

A bit outside the realm but what about a G35/7 or a 350/70?

Seems it would tick a majority of the boxes.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
2/11/15 12:16 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Really? I didnt have a problem in my S2k and I'm 6'2" also.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/11/15 12:18 p.m.

I'd be happier in a NA or NB that a NC. I was considering trading my NB a couple of years ago. I've had a long relationship with my dealer so I borrowed an almost new NC trade-in for a week. Just to see how it worked out.

By the fourth day I was so tired of the rocking & rolling high centered feeling, I took it back and said something was wrong with it. They had a couple of people drive it and I was told it was fine. So I test drove a brand new one with 3 miles or so on it. They were right, it felt just like the used one did. So I thanked them very nicely and took my NB out for a nice drive.

If I ever replace my NB, it will not be with a NC. I'm hoping they put the sports car feel back into the ND! To my mind the NC is less sporty and less comfortable than my new Mazda 3 with a stick. And if I ever decided I needed yet another V-8, I'd probably buy a Mustang.

But as always, your experience may vary. So get what suits you.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 12:24 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: A bit outside the realm but what about a G35/7 or a 350/70? Seems it would tick a majority of the boxes.

I have very little interest in the 350Z/370Z. The G35 I have considered and it's still an option, but a little more than I want to spend. A good coupe still goes for 10k+ around me.

Keith, I love the idea of driving a tastefully modified NA. I've been on the lookout for a while now, and haven't been able to snag one that hasn't been riced out or DIY-hacked. I fear that I may not find one before summer hits with full force and I sweat through my suit on the way to work.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/15 12:24 p.m.

To be fair, the 2013-15 suspension on the NC is far better than the earlier ones.

Will you find the perfect modified car for you for $10k? Probably not. If you really want it exactly the way you like it, you'll probably have to build it yourself.

The car I'm driving now was modified when I got it. Springs, shocks, sway bars, supercharger, exhaust, etc, etc. The only parts that are still on it are the catalytic converter and the sways. Everything else has been changed.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 12:26 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: To me, that's a no brainer. For a true DD, I'd go NC all the way (they started in '06). I've had 5 NA's and also had an NC I used as a daily driver. Keith will tell you the stock suspension in '06 was crap, and I'd have no reason to argue that point. However, I used mine as a DD only and never autox'd or tracked it, so it was fine for me. The NC is much more comfortable for long drives, is quicker, has more comforts and will be newer. It's much better on the highway. It's not quite as go-kartish as the NA, but it's still a lot of fun. I'm only comparing the NA to the NC and not factoring in any of the other cars you mentioned, such as the MS3, etc... To me, the NA is a weekend toy. The NC is a viable daily commuter, as long as you can live with only 2 seats and limited cargo room. My only caution about the NC is to make sure you like the seats. I hated the seats in my NC when I first got it. I grew to get used to them, but never "liked" them.

Is there a particular part of the seat that irritated you? Lack of bolstering? I wonder if a sub $400 aftermarket replacement might solve that issue.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/11/15 12:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: To be fair, the 2013-15 suspension on the NC is far better than the earlier ones. Will you find the perfect modified car for you for $10k? Probably not. If you really want it exactly the way you like it, you'll probably have to build it yourself. The car I'm driving now was modified when I got it. Springs, shocks, sway bars, supercharger, exhaust, etc, etc. The only parts that are still on it are the catalytic converter and the sways. Everything else has been changed.

This.

I test drove a loaded 2015 a few months back and looooooooved it. If i had to live with one car, this would be REALLY high on my list.

My biggest complaint was that the clutch pedal has no feeling. Not a single bit. The only way i knew the clutch had engaged was because the car was moving.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 12:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: To be fair, the 2013-15 suspension on the NC is far better than the earlier ones. Will you find the perfect modified car for you for $10k? Probably not. If you really want it exactly the way you like it, you'll probably have to build it yourself. The car I'm driving now was modified when I got it. Springs, shocks, sway bars, supercharger, exhaust, etc, etc. The only parts that are still on it are the catalytic converter and the sways. Everything else has been changed.

This:

http://www.miataturbo.net/cars-sale-trade-6/well-sorted-fmii-turbo-1994-mazda-miata-hardtop-portland-oregon-82768/

is very close, if not exactly the kind of build I was looking for. Had I caught it sooner, this question would not have been asked!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/11/15 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: I never drove a 2015. I might like the handling more. But I'm very surprised at your clutch comment. I always liked the clutch on every Miata I've driven.

Do you think no clutch feel is the new norm? for a Miata? Did you try another?

I couldn't deal with no clutch feel.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
2/11/15 1:28 p.m.

When did NAs become collectible? Maybe the R package cars, or the '93 LE....

I guess I should stop hacking up my 94R

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/11/15 1:30 p.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I never drove a 2015. I might like the handling more. But I'm very surprised at your clutch comment. I always liked the clutch on every Miata I've driven. Do you think no clutch feel is the new norm? for a Miata? Did you try another? I couldn't deal with no clutch feel.

I've driven three NCs now. All had the same dead-feeling clutch.

That said, i like a stiffer clutch than most, but SWMBO hated the clutch in the 15 as well. (Only one she's driven.)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
2/11/15 1:30 p.m.

Keith, what tweaks would you do to make a na a better dd?

sanman
sanman HalfDork
2/11/15 1:45 p.m.

I agree buy either one you want. I disagree about the collectibility part slightly. The NA may depreciate less than the NC. However, taking a clean stock M edition or LE package, hacking into with big guy mods and driving as a DD (dings scratches, etc) mean that you are not keeping it in pristine condition. My choice? Buy the NC for a DD and slowly restore your NA if there is no rust. Or option C, find a cheap reliable beater for $5k and sell your NA and buy a nicer one for weekends for $5-6k.

Personally, I have option C, but am hoping to trade into a more fun stockish DD. I would not want to DD my SW20 in the recent snow and ice her in MD. I magine my drive home after the superbowl would have been a whole lot scarier.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 1:47 p.m.
calteg wrote: When did NAs become collectible? Maybe the R package cars, or the '93 LE.... I guess I should stop hacking up my 94R

Not necessarily collectible per se, but not depreciating.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
2/11/15 1:49 p.m.
sanman wrote: I agree buy either one you want. I disagree about the collectibility part slightly. The NA may depreciate less than the NC. However, taking a clean stock M edition or LE package, hacking into with big guy mods and driving as a DD (dings scratches, etc) mean that you are not keeping it in pristine condition. My choice? Buy the NC for a DD and slowly restore your NA if there is no rust. Or option C, find a cheap reliable beater for $5k and sell your NA and buy a nicer one for weekends for $5-6k. Personally, I have option C, but am hoping to trade into a more fun stockish DD. I would not want to DD my SW20 in the recent snow and ice her in MD. I magine my drive home after the superbowl would have been a whole lot scarier.

Mine has plenty of rust!

No tall mods needed except MAYBE a foamectomy or different seat. I hear you about the dings and scratches. I don't like having to worry about that.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/11/15 1:51 p.m.

NC period.

I hate having to deal with DDing old cars. You may not.

If you find an early NC, a quick spring/shock change and some stickier tire will make it an entirely different car.

Maybe add a tune and exhaust and enjoy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
28o2M9QBalUzTKMxXyL0Y0K0TdfwetkLToBERyOlQ8xTHSyxh4rfHeMLb4akYeAL