1 2
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/3/12 10:01 p.m.

My Expedition has the 5.4, no plug issues yet but it only has 225K on it, we'll see how it goes on the trip to Florida next week, another 3000 onto it.

At least this time it wont be towing a car.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/12 11:46 p.m.

My condensed take on things:

Ford
Pros: Very long-life engines, mechanically speaking. Above average transmission, overall excellent build quality

Cons: COPs and plugs on later 5.4L, ride quality, a bit underpowered.

Chevy
Pros: above average transmission, above average engine.

Cons: occasional electrical gremlins, piss-poor quality of materials.

Dodge
Pros: um... good looking nose? can't really think of any.

Cons: weak trannys, average engines, rear axles that love to chew pinion shaft bearings, ridiculously plastic interior pieces with visible casting flash left on the plastic.

Put it this way... If I'm looking for the best build and material quality, I would go Ford. If I'm looking the most cargo space and headroom, I would go GM. If I'm looking to never get laid again in my life, I'd go Dodge.

Here is what I bought:

99 E350 Powerstroke 7.3L. Thank goodness its dead-nuts reliable, because fixing anything on the engine pretty much requires six elbows.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/4/12 6:19 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Very old post bump because its a cool thread. I'm looking at a 97 Ford Conversion with a 5.4L, 88,000 miles and $1500, probably can talk them down to $1250. Planning on stripping the interior and reducing weight where ever possible. Having a hard time locating just the passenger version with the conversions flooding the market.

Holy crap. If I found a raised roof for that price, I'd sell my truck in a heartbeat.

I saw my dream van the other night on the hwy: late 90's E350 extended ass, raised roof, front side windows only. Was even a nice subdued maroon as well. Some day...

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/4/12 8:06 a.m.

As was said earlier, when they get to that point, it depends on the overal condition rather than who made it.

Someone complained about a certain make conversion van. Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge do not make conversion vans. Independant companies do the conversios.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/4/12 8:19 a.m.

True... My van was by Mark III. I wouldn't say the quality was top notch, but it served my needs. As I've mentioned before, I care less about the conversion interior and more about getting the raised roof option.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
27EYg1Yk8puwzH8ouyLjbktWiil3BxrTtseGYP3PwO49wjI3C0GcmDCQp2jU4X2j