1 2 3 4
wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/23/23 12:36 p.m.

PS - for those that receive criticism from spouses regarding the number of cars they have, I have found that a useful rejoinder is to ask the how many pairs of shoes they own.....

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/23 12:39 p.m.

David, it seems like the crux of your horror was at the cost of brand spankin new. 

may I present to you...

The Used Car Market :D

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/23/23 1:44 p.m.

I'd pick the MDX hybrid to cover all my bases:

• Powerful enough to satisfy right foot
  • Fuel efficient
  • Roomy
  • SH-AWD
  • Japanese reliability
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/23/23 1:58 p.m.

Right now the Dart has too much sentimental value for me to sell and is not well sorted enough to be my only car. If I could sort out all the problems, and add air conditioning - maybe, but it's still a stretch.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/23/23 3:53 p.m.
wspohn said:

PS - for those that receive criticism from spouses regarding the number of cars they have, I have found that a useful rejoinder is to ask the how many pairs of shoes they own.....

...and you're still married?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/23/23 4:32 p.m.

As long as we don't include the racecar, then yes. I need the ability to move large(up to 9 feet long) objects for work, and sometimes people. Also I like driving offroad and in snow. I could build the ultimate Jeep XJ and that would make me pretty damn happy for all conditions. Then my W116 for the track.

Thankfully my girl has too many cars and too many shoes! I'm safe with my collections of skis/snowboards/surfboards.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/23 4:46 p.m.

Happy? No.  Doable? Yes.  I did it last year when I moved.  Fleet went from 4 to 1 for almost a year. Now at 2.  Trying to stay there, but constantly tempted.  If I had the room and a garage, 4 seems like the right number for me.  Two is probably the right number with my current house and lack of a garage.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/23/23 5:21 p.m.
wspohn said:

I think that only works with model cars.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/23/23 5:22 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Or maybe if they own several thousand pairs of shoes

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/24/23 9:04 a.m.

If all I did with a car was get groceries and occasionally drive a short distance to work, I could see one car being feasible. Is this 'Grassroots Motorsports'?

Enjoying rallycross, Gambler 500s, transporting grandkids and big dogs, back roads in a nimble roadster, exploring vehicular modifications and deviant art projects... No. One is not going to do it. I could happily manage five if I kept a regular turn-over, but I buy them when the deals are available.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
9/24/23 9:05 a.m.

Is this some sort of poor person joke?

One car? No. Needs vary and there's nothing that can do it all.

AaronT
AaronT Reader
9/24/23 9:41 a.m.

No

My interest in cars goes up and down depending on other hobbies, time, wrench space, etc, but I still want the right tool for the job/my lifestyle. Something to get to the trailhead, something fun, and hopefully the lady is interested in one of the puzzle pieces at that time.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/24/23 10:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
wspohn said:

Was thinking the same thing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/23 11:43 a.m.

I suspect I could, and it'd likely say "911" on the back and I don't mean an older Panther.

That said, I seem to suffer too much from vehicular promiscuity to make this a reality, plus the climate here says I need a winter beater.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/23 11:45 a.m.
NOHOME said:
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
wspohn said:

Was thinking the same thing.

Might work if you're married to Imelda Marcos' reincarnate. For how long, well...

In my case, I keep my mouth shut about what I consider certain frivolities when my wife travels, and she doesn't complain about the vehicle I dragged home last week.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/23 12:44 p.m.
wspohn said:

My wife is a borderline enabler... just about every time I talk about some new-to-me car I want to drag home, she gets just as excited as I do- sometimes more so... I usually have to be my own voice of reason to stave off bankruptcy. 

I have 4 cars (not counting my work car- AP2 S2000, DC2 Integra GS-R, E82 128i & Xterra beater) and my wife has 2 cars: Challenger 392 Scat Pack & Suburban winter beater. My wife actually keeps looking at getting a 3rd car for herself- namely an RX-8, which I'm somewhat opposed to, as it would mean yet another vehicle for me to maintain. 

I suppose everyone has their own set of problems... something about having 99 problems... 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/24/23 12:59 p.m.

Actually,  a bunch of years ago now, I restored an MGC convertible, telling my wife it was my friend's car (he was helping me on the project). When it was finished I pulled it out of the garage on her birthday and put a big bow on it and when she came out to see 'my friend's car" I handed her the keys!

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/23 1:03 p.m.
wspohn said:

Actually,  a bunch of years ago now, I restored an MGC convertible, telling my wife it was my friend's car (he was helping me on the project). When it was finished I pulled it out of the garage on her birthday and put a big bow on it and when she came out to see 'my friend's car" I handed her the keys!

Solid work, brother! Well played! 

moto914
moto914 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/24/23 6:28 p.m.

Yes but to into the retro dashes of the older cars.  So not happiest. 

Minivan, E36 coupe, 914, 914 track only,  & R6 motorcycle. Would like to keep a 914 and something practical. The street cars are slightly appreciating.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/23 7:45 p.m.

I certainly could if needed, especially if a bike or two doesn't count. I actually did it for a while with my Toyobaru. It is really fun to drive. It is my daily driver, and works well for road trips, trackdays, and autocross. Gets pretty good mileage to boot, and I think it looks great! If doing something with more than one other person, which isn't super-often, we take someone else's car, take two cars, or take an Uber. On the rare occasion I need to haul big bulky items that won't fit, (which is only 2-3x per year) I rent a truck or van and come out way ahead vs. owning one.

Cyclone03
Cyclone03 New Reader
9/24/23 8:52 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

doesn't work for me,she reminds me that every shoe she has or has had doesn't add up to what I've spent on cars.

At least her shoes are running and hiking ones. She has ONE pair of black pumps and maybe 4 non sport shoes.

so non of them are "cute".

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/23 11:16 a.m.
wspohn said:

I own more pairs of shoes then my wife though....

anger_enginering
anger_enginering New Reader
9/25/23 11:42 a.m.
ClearWaterMS said:
BimmerMaven said:

Jay Leno seems ok with his garage....and maintenance plan.

the rest of us compromise.

we're both retired.  one car is possible.   my E30S50 swapped 318i is still my favorite car 25 years later.  quick enough, handles well, ok for trips to beach, mountains, family, and tows my 4x8 trailer for truck-chores.

of course, one pair of shoes (at a time) got me through many years of school, early marriage, one child.

but now i have dress shoes, sport shoes, work boots, hiking boots, sandals, water shoes....

..and 2-seaters, convertibles, hard tops, 2-door, 4-door, truck,  plus some Isettas waiting...

wrenching is my retirement job, so costs are manageable.

I'm good to go now.

when it comes to shoes, i wonder if the person who can wear flip flops all day every day (pour one out for Jimmy Buffet) is living their best life.  

David Freiberger wears flip flops every day but he owns like 30 cars...

I couldnt. I currently have a DD (14 VW CC R-Line) , A tinker car (97 Mustang GT) and have at least 2 waiting to have something done with them in storage. Do I have the money to do everthing I want.. no. Do I want to downsize.. no. Can I afford to store them.. also no. But one is a car Ive wanted since HS that when I found my wife encouraged me to buy since she heard me always talk about it, one is my first car that hasn't run since 96 but also has sentimental attachment to because I bought it from my mom. And since despite having them I still have others I want I know for a FACT I could never be happy with one..

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/25/23 2:49 p.m.
roninsoldier83 said:
wspohn said:

Solid work, brother! Well played! 

It was a successful mod - built headers, a triple carb set up and added about 40-50 bhp - did an effortless 130 mph+ top speed.

LukeGT
LukeGT GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/25/23 9:59 p.m.

If I'm fully honest with myself...No.  However, if I ever can afford a Nardo Grey RS3, I'd be willing to sacrifice a lot to try! (including my undying love for manual transmissions)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NQGoz0MvlDXQ6TKpjyy2ORFXRUbU1Cablm7fm2NukEc3xhFstVZHYyM59AnYTTXP