HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
8/27/21 2:40 p.m.

So, I've had some thoughts regarding my winter beater for a while now.  I want to do a mild suspension refresh on it, and while it's apart, I'd like to look into upping the spring rates slightly and raising the ride height slightly also.

The car in question is a 3rd Gen Accord, 1988 Honda Accord LXi, automatic.  May see the occasional rallycross but mostly street use.

Ultimately, what I would like is something with 1" to 1.5" more ride height (occasionally, in the snow it can get high centered), and a little more spring rate.  Something that can bomb thru rough pavement and pot holes with relative comfort.

There are strut lift spacers available, but I currently have a similar set of these on my Gambler 500 Lexus LS400, and while functional, doesn't add much other than height.

Strut lift spacers:  https://www.hrgengineering.com/product-page/1986-1989-honda-accord-1-5-lift-kit

If I could get additional travel to go along with the increase in height, I'd like to.  There are rear struts off of a newer accord (90-93)that share the same upper bushing and same lower bushing, but have 2" longer travel and 2" longer extended height

Stock Rear damper is 6.5" travel, with 24.7" extended length / 18.3" compressed (KYB 341074)

The newer Honda rear dampers are KYB's 34119's, with 2" more extension and travel

The main question is, how much stiffer do I go on spring rate?  

Per Moog, the original rear springs are Moog CC221's with a 170 lb / inch rating, and 13.27" long free length

Fronts are Moog CC248's with a 279 lb / inch rating, and 12..88" long free length.

I'm leaning towards using coil over sleeves and spec'ing a stiffer spring, but I don't know where to start.  10% stiffer, 20%?  

Unfortunately i'm limited to stock replacement dampers as there is not much aftermarket for these cars anymore.  So, it'll likely be underdamped, but I'll have to live with that.

Does anybody in the hive have experience doing similar?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 2:58 p.m.

IIRC suspension travel on this is limited to OE levels by the ball joints binding and/or the knuckle hitting the spring, so I would not worry about trying to get more.

a rule of thumb I've found works great on front and rear drive is to double the front spring rate and increase the rear by 10-50%.  Less with front drive, more with rear drive.  This assumes that the sway bars are still present.

That may sound crazy high, but wheel rates for most cars are in the 100lb-in range.  Doubling that is not crazy, and if you keep the same ride height, it is actually pretty plush compared to a lowered car with the same rates, because you won't be bottoming out so much.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7Xe4DJZncgVjCu7VWP4YH8uJaXXLpKHMQKoxR6hwK8Bhvn0laRJr2Bwide6q8z4