1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/16/23 3:18 p.m.

So first I'm a moron; forgot to push the park brake button on my 2011 Outback, it rolled across the lot came to a stop against low wall.

The trailer hitch got pushed down and forward which tweaked the frame.

The car has 142k and the paint is starting to go. My only reason for asking the questions it is a 6 speed manual and those aren't easy to find.

Below are some pictures of the damage. KBB say $3,700 to $6000. If I filed a claim I assume it will get totaled. I could do a quick sale for probably 3K or I could just drive it.

What say the hive?????

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/16/23 3:24 p.m.

As long as it seals and doesn't let the elements in, drive it. It's a 12 year old car you're not likely to replace comparably very easily. I see no reason to hassle the man and potentially berkeley with your rates. 

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
12/16/23 3:25 p.m.
Mndsm said:

As long as it seals and doesn't let the elements in, drive it. It's a 12 year old car you're not likely to replace comparably very easily. I see no reason to hassle the man and potentially berkeley with your rates. 

I'll second that. And at your leisure see if you can find a body man who might can tweak it "close" for some cash.

Red91sc
Red91sc New Reader
12/16/23 3:29 p.m.

Chances are it isn't getting totaled if you went that route. Friend of mine recently hit a dear with a 14 year old suburban with rust valued around $5k according to blue book. Repairs were $4300 and insurance is fixing it.

I also agree, let it be and drive it...

Laserface
Laserface New Reader
12/16/23 3:32 p.m.

I've been in the collision repair industry since 07. I was a tech for 15 years, and now doing admin at a shop.

I'd file a claim and let the insurance total it. The "tweaked" frame is now a safety hazard in the event of a rear end collision. The frame will not collapse in the way Subaru designed it. It might be ok. It might put occupants of the vehicle at an unnecessary risk as the pre-failed frame transfers energy into the seats and restraints.

I could not sell this vehicle with a clear conscience.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/16/23 3:57 p.m.

You know how guys joke and say that'll buff out?  

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/16/23 5:47 p.m.
Laserface said:

I've been in the collision repair industry since 07. I was a tech for 15 years, and now doing admin at a shop.

I'd file a claim and let the insurance total it. The "tweaked" frame is now a safety hazard in the event of a rear end collision. The frame will not collapse in the way Subaru designed it. It might be ok. It might put occupants of the vehicle at an unnecessary risk as the pre-failed frame transfers energy into the seats and restraints.

Thank you for chiming in; I was hoping an industry person would comment.

I was also toying with parting it out.......if I get 3K from it I am good with it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/23 6:23 p.m.

I would be worried about exhaust getting in around the hatch more than anything else. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
12/16/23 6:41 p.m.

Can you chain the trailer hitch to a suitable tree, post or some other immovable object? Give it a tweak or two?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
12/16/23 6:51 p.m.

If I understand the pictures correctly, it hit the wall hard enough that it is crumpled in front of the rear wheels such that the back doors don't really close properly anymore? That's a fairly serious amount of deflection, I can't quite wrap my head around how it's bent.

If it were my car, I would probably try to figure out where it crumpled before making any decisions. But if it runs and drives fine, the doors still close and seal, given the value of the vehicle I'd probably treat it as a "drive it until it doesn't drive anymore" kind of thing if you really like the car. If your intent was to sell it in the near future, then it probably makes more sense to total it out and take the insurance check.

I vote with eastpark.   Chain, trailer hitch,  little tugs until the rear hatch fits again.   Its the GRM way.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/23 9:06 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I vote with eastpark.   Chain, trailer hitch,  little tugs until the rear hatch fits again.   Its the GRM way.

What can it hurt?  Do this in little tiny steps, not one big yank.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/16/23 11:06 p.m.

So looking closer today it appears the floor may be bowed.........sigh.

The rear hatch mat is no longer flat. Also the bar that slots in for the retractable cover no longer fits because the mounting points are now further apart......so clearly the area just behind the doors has also bowed out.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
12/17/23 2:09 a.m.

Id try and keep it if possible. 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
12/17/23 7:53 a.m.
Laserface said:

This plus, the exhaust getting in around the hatch, are unfortunate realities. But if you do a claim how will that effect your rates? Part out seems like a good route - hold out for good $ on the trans.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/17/23 8:11 a.m.

I just filed a claim on my 148K mile MINI Cooper S.  Kelly Blue Book says it's worth $3166 private party sale without the crash damage. My insurance totaled it and are sending a cheque for $5770.31........I'd file the claim and see how you do. FWIW, I was going to put the car up for sale in the spring, priced at $4200 and take anything over $3500.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
12/17/23 8:48 a.m.

File the claim, you can always back out.  Take the claim, buy it back and part it out.  The manual transmission bits are in demand for people who want to convert an auto over.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
12/17/23 12:03 p.m.

Why not file the claim?  You can buy it back and still drive it if you want 

Laserface
Laserface New Reader
12/17/23 2:24 p.m.
porschenut said:

File the claim, you can always back out.  Take the claim, buy it back and part it out.  The manual transmission bits are in demand for people who want to convert an auto over.  

Some insurance companies will raise rates for filing a claim whether you pursue the claim or not. Definitely worth a phone call to your local agent if you have one, or your company's claims department.

"What would happen to my rates if I did X?"

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/17/23 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Laserface :

Just did that. I am putting in a claiming; if they fix it great, if not I'll get another. 

My fear is that if they don't cancel you, your rates will go up enough in the next few years for them to reclaim anything they paid out.    I just don't make claims for $3K - $5K.   I "self-insure" at that level.   I guess it was my raisin' that made me fear insurance companies.  frown

YMMV

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
12/17/23 6:57 p.m.

So like, why would anyone keep insurance above liability if it's useless when you are actually in a situation you're insured against?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/17/23 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) :

And that may be an option. I am getting some quotes this week.

Checkered Blood Racing
Checkered Blood Racing New Reader
12/17/23 11:23 p.m.

Have you done any testing in it after that crash?

Does it go straight?

Does it make noise?

How does it drive at highway speeds?

PS: You could always use it, as is, for a down payment on a new car... 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/23 9:28 a.m.
red_stapler said:

So like, why would anyone keep insurance above liability if it's useless when you are actually in a situation you're insured against?

I don't once a car's value drops below $5k or so. I drop all coverage except liability. 

That said, I just paid out of pocket to have some minor damage repaired on the Touareg where a trailer hit the back hatch even though it has full coverage. The body shop bill was $1200. In the long run, it's cheaper to pay for small things than it is to pay the deductible plus the increase in coverage costs. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5kK07gPPIBOnuqi57UARSsp0yznJMaMGuLzfWSTrgNYrJQ2Kpx34cgftbeLJ3yHM