1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/11/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

Over the years I've discovered I like driving cars not working on them. I only work on them because it saves huge amounts of money. Now that I make a lot more money I find I'm paying to have them serviced more and more.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 2:22 p.m.

So, I'm already thinking of things I want to do with the meotter, nothing drastic.

Need to get the Porsche stuff gathered up, photographed and sold on.

Cleaning and assessment of everything, mostly the interior since its a bit dirty from sitting (tan plus a leaky top means it just gets dirty, luckily its been parked inside when it wasn't being driven for as long as he's had it).

Will likely pull the seats and carpet, install sound deadening panels and steam clean the carpet and other pieces.

Replace any missing labels/burnt out bulbs, broken pieces.  Maybe add some nice to have items (LED bulbs, simple comfort items and similar)

Add a proper phone mount and update the radio for CarPlay (though a completely hidden solution is tempting).  He has an Android head unit in it already, but I don't remember the details on it, so this might not be an issue outside of the proper phone mount.  If it works, it could provide some data capturing possibilities.

Wash and polish the exterior and clean under the hood/check fluids.

Mount my sticky "race" tires for the Porsche on the spare 15x7's we have for the Miata and some magnetic roundels and numbers.

Take it to some events this spring/summer (as long as the Pandemic eases up enough to remove that anxiety)

Eventually, I'd like to add some yellow/gold vinyl to the outside as a throwback livery to some of the BRG Lotus/Jaguar cars of the past.  Not sure on what form that will take yet, but its percolating.

Pick up a spare intake and valve cover to clean up and polish.  Add a new expansion tank and washer bottle.  In my mind, this helps with the throw back look.  Maybe a set of vintage style gauges.

I mean I'd love to turbocharge it and make it a serious track day car, but that's how I get myself into trouble.  I have a set of 40 and 45mm DCOE-style ITBs and a couple of MS2's.  A DCOE intake for the 1.8 and a Jenvey turbo plenum would be pretty cool and doable over a winter break.  It also has the chance of turning it into another door stop taking up room instead of being used and enjoyed.   I'll keep my eye out for interesting bits and bobs, but won't do anything outside of basic maintenance and upkeep.

That said, just making it enjoyable and fun is the important piece.  Eventually, I'll teach the wife to drive stick and maybe she can use it to commute to work when its nice out.  I think she'd like it, but we'll see.  I know I need to make it a nice place to be in first and that's just not something Dad has been all that great about in the past.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 2:26 p.m.

I'd concentrate on cleaning it up and doing maintenance first. Then drive it and decide what you do/don't like. You definitely want to avoid the door stop scenario.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/22 2:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I'd concentrate on cleaning it up and doing maintenance first. Then drive it and decide what you do/don't like. You definitely want to avoid the door stop scenario.

100%

Part of what I wrote above was also about making it something the SO will enjoy having around, so lots of focus on maintenance, appearance and comfort.

If it smells bad, is too loud and feels miserable to ride in, its a non-starter.  To be honest, I'm not excited about having some stripped out, dirty, smelly rattletrap around either, I'm just getting too old for that.

That said, no plan survives the battle field, so yes lots of driving is needed before anything outside of basic cleaning/repairs happens.  Just mostly stuck at home on the computer, so I'm day dreaming a bit.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QxzNhKfEur6Wr0oN6mBL8q5LugRc6y2wlMgshfWhzpvuLolR1UKhtJxXCRmXSo3p