CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
2/14/18 5:14 p.m.

I'm attending the Daytona 500 this weekend.  I've been to lots of NASCAR races before, so I know the basics, but I've never been to Daytona.  We'll be several hours before the actual race starts, so is there anything at the track (or within walking distance) that we should be sure to check out?  Any can't miss sights?  Is there a location(s) near the track where non-official vendors setup?  I'm a pretty avid diecast collector and have found some great stuff at the large tents that tend to pop up adjacent to the tracks on race day but I don't know where to look for them at Daytona.  Any tips are appreciated! 

Kramer
Kramer Dork
2/14/18 5:20 p.m.

I've been to 10 or 12 tracks, including Daytona.  I have no good info for you, but I'm curious to hear other replies.  A customer of mine is going, and they gush about how nice the stands are now.  Last I was there was 2005.  

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
2/14/18 7:01 p.m.

I hate to be this guy but the best way to watch the Daytona 500 is at home in your underwear.

The track is too big too really tell whats going on, and the cars pass by so quickly you can't tell then either. It's cool to do it so you can say you've been, but that's about it.

short tracks on the other hand. Always a win.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/14/18 7:07 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

I hate to be this guy but the best way to watch the Daytona 500 is at home in your underwear.

The older I get, the more I feel this is the case for all live sporting events.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/14/18 7:26 p.m.

I think Daytona would be a thing a guy needs to see, at least once. 

I do agree with "at home in your underwear" to a pretty good extent, though.  I went to the fall Phoenix race, and attended all three races.  The trucks and Busch (or whatever they are called now) were good to watch live.  The Cup cars, too loud, too long, too little idea of what was going on, too many people.

jmabarone
jmabarone New Reader
2/15/18 6:05 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I think Daytona would be a thing a guy needs to see, at least once. 

I do agree with "at home in your underwear" to a pretty good extent, though.  I went to the fall Phoenix race, and attended all three races.  The trucks and Busch (or whatever they are called now) were good to watch live.  The Cup cars, too loud, too long, too little idea of what was going on, too many people.

+1 to that.  I used to go to the 24 every year (then we had kids) and I never thought too highly of NASCAR.  I went to a truck race at Martinsville, and it was quite entertaining.  Then I got to work at Indy for the Brickyard race...those cars are on a completely different level of loud.  My parents want to go to Bristol at some point, so I see that happening in the next few years.  

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Most of the vendors setup on the front of the Speedway property. Traffic and crowds will be thick. Most of the adjacent local businesses close for the day and sell parking instead. Just wear good walking shoes, there will be a lot of walking. Traffic before and after the race will be fairly well organized, but not flow very fast. You may get routed in the opposite direction of your destination when leaving, but  all routes wind up back at the intersate...

I lived in Daytona for about 7 years and generally tried to plan to stay at home the day of the 500 or get out of town, due to crowds.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
2/15/18 7:52 a.m.

I've been to a few of them. Last time I went was the time it got rained out, rescheduled for monday, then Juan Pablo I-can't-drive-for-E36 M3 rammed a jet dryer during a caution lap and set the track on fire. I just thought, man this whole thing would have been better if I was at home, in my underwear.

ToplesS2
ToplesS2 New Reader
2/15/18 2:32 p.m.

The Hooters right across from the tower used to start selling wings and beer at either 7 or 8 am on 500 day.  Breakfast of champions. Haven’t been in 15 years so I don’t know if it’s still the case.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/18 2:46 p.m.

Number one tip: Park at the free lot provided by the track and take the shuttle in. Super-easy. You'll have a bit of a wait to get back on the shuttle after the race, but it moves fast. The shuttles don't go on the main roads (power line right of ways!) and the cops stop traffic for them.

Cell service in the seats is poor, so if you're planning on using the NASCAR app as a scanner be ready for that. We made it work part of the time. Those scanners will help you understand what's going on.

The thing you see in person that you don't get on TV is how they set up passes several laps in advance, and how groups of cars work together. You see it a lot better in person.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/15/18 3:06 p.m.

The Daytona 500 is fun for the festival atmosphere and the spectacle of it.   There no doubt,  will be a cool fly-by that you really can't experience on TV.   As was mentioned, bring comfy walking shoes, as any way you cut it....you're in for a long walk.

IIRC the speedway allows you to bring in a soft-sided cooler, and a clear plastic bag of limited size.  Not a bad idea to pack a few drinks / lunch.  EVERYTHING around the track on raceday will be a clusterberkley.   Sightseeing would be difficult, as the crowds will be so thick.

Bring sunblock and lots of it.  This is Florida, and our sun is mucho strong, even this time of the year.   Water is a good idea too.  

There are about a million restaurants just outside of the track.  They are nearly all franchised, chain restaurants for better or worse.  One exception is the Smoke Shack--- directly across from the speedway, in the strip mall off Bill France Blvd.   After being in business for years, they are closing up shop--- this weekend will be it for them.   If you go there, ask for Whitney (petite red-head), or Christie, or Chelsea.  They are all sweethearts, and the food is darn good.    Tell em I sent ya!  

Smoke Shack BBQ

As Keith said, parking remotely is a good way to go.  Have patience, the crowds will be big, the going slow.   The weather is looking perfect--- I hope you have a blast!  Feel free to PM me if you  need any more local info.   

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/18 3:33 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
AClockworkGarage said:

The older I get, the more I feel this is the case for all live sporting events.

I'm probably a fair bit younger than both of you and increasingly coming to this conclusion myself. Between the cost of food/beverages/tickets/parking, the hassle of getting to and from the event, and the picture quality of contemporary TVs, it's just not worth it to me. And after the harassment I endured from stadium staff at the last NFL game I went to, I'm not sure I'll ever watch another game live, even being a pretty hard core football fan.

NASCAR, however, I think is a much better experience seen live. Watching on TV, it just looks like fast moving interstate traffic most of the time, but there's just so much more going on that you can pick up on watching it live. Plus, the auditory experience is like nothing else on this earth. They also have the stadium experience and hospitality down pat (well, Charlotte anyway, as that's the only track I've been to.) Food is much more reasonably priced, you can bring in as much beer as you can reasonably expect to drink, tickets prices are much more friendly...I need to see another race this year, damnit! cheeky

einy
einy HalfDork
2/15/18 5:16 p.m.

I agree with what Furious E says above, but from the perspective of a couple of years at Bristol in August.  Absolutely nothing beats that spectacle live and in person, but I hope to personally find out how Daytona stacks up next year!

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/18 10:23 p.m.

You probably know this, but for others that will search this thread, you absolutely must use a scanner.  In addition to getting the MRN feed, you can pick up race control, and being able to listen to driver/crew/spotter when you understand it as being a car guy, really makes it a special experience.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/18 10:36 p.m.
glueguy said:

You probably know this, but for others that will search this thread, you absolutely must use a scanner.  In addition to getting the MRN feed, you can pick up race control, and being able to listen to driver/crew/spotter when you understand it as being a car guy, really makes it a special experience.

You can use your phone as a scanner with the NASCAR app. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S0ICH9svegnaxEwVBxl5RYhVWp1RlKbKJYthp72lA6k904v5nTRw5odoloJkq2A4